Winnipeg MB Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church 1920
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church, 1920
Demetrios may be spelt Dimitrios, Dimitrie, Dimitry, Dmitry.
Prehistory
The immigration of Greek-speaking newcomers in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, began in 1898, in the person of Mr. Tom Julius (who had arrived from Laconia, Greece). Somewhat later, others began to arrive from Greece and what was then the Ottoman Empire (Anatolia).
There was no distinct place for the few who arrived then and in the following decades to worship in their own language. However, the Russian Orthodox Mission in North America did have a parish community in the city from about 1900, and a Temple (at Manitoba Avenue and McKenzie Street) from 1904.
The first decades of the 20th Century in Winnipeg were rather chaotic, largely because of the presence of the so-called “Metropolitan Seraphim (Ustvolsky)” and his so-called Orthodox entity. Then, in 1918, the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada was established at an assembly in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, but at its foundation, it was not yet in communion with the Orthodox Christian Church in general.
Meanwhile, more Greek-speakers arrived ; and by 1912, they were able to establish the first Greek cultural association, “Annunciation”. Such associations were common at that time, as newcomers to Canada from various cultures banded together for self-support. The name of this first Greek association was significant, since it implied the testimony about the Orthodox Christian Faith and the Holy Gospel through the presence of these Greek-speakers.
Then, in 1917, the association developed further. At a general meeting in the “Manitoba Hall” (associated with the Presbyterian College), it was decided to establish within the guidelines of civil law, the first chapter of the “Greek Community of Winnipeg”. The first president of this community was Mr. Stavros Grammas.
In 1918, this Greek community established the first Greek School which offered evening classes.
On 28 December, 1920, the Greek Community of Winnipeg convened its first general meeting.
Liturgical services begin
First priest
In 1923, the first Greek pastor arrived in Winnipeg, Priest Michael Soikos. However, there was not at that time a permanent regular site for serving the Divine Liturgy and other services.
- Women’s association
In 1926, the women of the Greek Community (principally the wives) established the first Women’s Philanthropic Association, “Elpis” (hope). This was the ancestor of what was later known as the “Philoptokos Society” (Love for the Poor).
In 1927, the Greek Community of Winnipeg participated officially in the celebrations of Canada’s 50th Anniversary as an Independent Dominion.
In 1931, the “AHEPA” (American Hellenic Educationa; Progressive Association) established in Winnipeg under the name “POLIKOS ASTER CJ8”. The association was also known as the “Canadian Order of AHEPA”.
In 1934, the membership of the Greek Community of Winnipeg came to number 44.
In 1940, “Greek War Relief Fund” was established in order to help the Greek refugees of the war between Greece and Italy, which was part of World War II.
First permanent building
In 1944, the Greek Community of Winnipeg purchased a house at Edmonton Street and Ellice Avenue, which becomes known to all as the “Greek House”. This multi-purpose building was used for church services, Greek School, and as a hall for meetings, parties etc.
In 1944, the “Daughters of Penelope” club was established. This group was dedicated specifically to philanthropy.
In 1949, the first youth group was established : “Greek Canadian Youth Club”. In 1952, this club became part of the “GOYA” (Greek Orthodox Youth Association). The first GOYA President was Miss Mary Kelekis.
Then, in 1953, the Junior GOYA was established in the community (first President, Jim Pappas).
First Temple
On 5 January, 1956, the Greek Orthodox Church of Saint Demetrios of Thessaloniki moved into the building which it had purchased, at 103, Furby Street, Winnipeg. The Greek Community now numbered 400.
History of the first Temple Founded and constructed in 1913, the building was originally constructed for the All Souls Unitarian Church. It was designed by the well-known architect John Danley Atchison.
In 1957, the Parish of Saint Demetrios and the Greek Community of Winnipeg were officially recognised as being a part of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA).
In 1958, the first soccer team (“Olympians”) was established, and an organ was purchased for the choir.
Sanctification
In 1958, the parish was officially sanctified as the Greek Orthodox Church of Saint Demetrios. At the dedication, the official Sponsor (Godfather) of the parish was Mr. Theo Christakos.
In the same year, the publishing of the Community Bulletin began (on a weekly basis) with help of Miss Mary Kelekis.
In 1960, Priest Anthony Mavromaras began to serve the parish of Saint Demetrios.
Establishment of a Canadian Pastoral District (Ninth Region), 1960
In 1960, it was decided by Patriarch Athenagoras (Syprou) to establish an episcopal region for Canada, of which the assigned bishop would be "Episcopal Commissioner" for Canada. The region was a preparation for a future diocese ; the "episcopal commissioner" was the preparation for a future ruling bishop.
In 1961, the Junior GOYA was re-organised under the leadership of Miss Mary Kelekis.
Also in 1961, the first clergy-laity assembly was convened in Canada, and the Greek Community of Winnipeg was voted as the best community in Canada. On CJAY television, there was the first programme showing Greek dances and songs by young Winnipeg Greek boys and girls. In this year, the first Greek Consulate was established in Winnipeg with Mr. Michael John Mercury. In December, the Greek Choir did Christmas carolling for the first time.
In 1963, Priest Antony Mavromaras undertook the first missionary work amongst isolated Greek Orthodox Christians when he travelled to Northern Manitoba.
In 1964, the first Wolf Cub Pack for boys was established in the Winnipeg Greek Community.
In 1965, the Greek Community of Winnipeg hosted for the first time the Clergy-laity Assembly of the Canadian Diocese.
In 1966, the Greek Community published its first Greek Community telephone book.
On 18 December, 1966, the Greek Children’s Choir gave its first performance.
In 1967, the Greek Community of Winnipeg participated in various ways in Canadian Centennial celebrations.
In 1968, the Greek soccer-club (“Olympians”) was re-established.
On 15 February, 1970, the first Greek radio programme was aired.
On 21 June, 1970, the Greek Community of Winnipeg proposed, passed, and inaugurated the first set of official by-laws for itself.
Also, in 1970, the Greek Community began to participate in Winnipeg’s “Folklorama”. Mr. Theodore Christakos donated a large sum to the Greek School, which adopted thenceforth his name. Various Greek performers participated in the celebration of Manitoba’s centennial anniversary. The mayor of Winnipeg set aside 25 March to mark the 150th anniversary of Greek independence.
Second Temple
On 10 September, 1973, the newly-constructed Temple of Saint Demetrios at 2255, Grant Avenue, was officially dedicated. The previous building was sold to the Romanian Orthodox parish of Saint Demetrios the Myrrh-streamer.
Also in 1973, the first Greek-language television programme was produced in Winnipeg.
On 3 March, 1974, the first celebration of Sunday of Orthodoxy took place at new Temple, and it featured 25 Orthodox priests and 1000 people in attendance.
Also in 1974, the “Greek Cultural Society of Manitoba” and the “Greek Folk Dancers of Manitoba” were established in order to help maintain Greek customs and traditions and teach national Greek dances.
Moreover, the new stained glass window depicting “The Resurrection” was installed at the back of the Temple. In 1977, the Greek soccer club was re-organised with the name “Hellas”. Mr. Theo Christakos donated an iconostasis to the Temple.
Canada Ninth District named a diocese, 1979
In 1979, following a re-structuring of the Archdiocese of North and South America, The Ninth District was elevated by the Patriarch of Constantinople to be the Greek Orthodox Diocese of Toronto (Canada), and Bishop Sotirios (Athanassoulas) of Constantia became Bishop Sotirios (Athanassoulas) of Toronto (Canada).
In 1983, Father Anthony Mavromaras was transferred to Ontario. He and Presbytera Chrysoula returned to Winnipeg in 1999.
The Diocese of Canada becomes a Metropolis, 1996
On 30 July, 1996, the Patriarchate of Constantinople divided the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of North and South America into 4 parts : the USA, Canada, Central America, and South America. The Diocese of Canada was elevated to the status of a metropolitanate.
At the same time, the Metropolis of Toronto (Canada) was detached from the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, and placed directly under the authority of the Patriarchal Throne in Constantinople.
On 24 September, 1996, Bishop Sotirios (Athanassoulas) was elevated to the dignity of metropolitan, and he was given the title and responsibility of Metropolitan Archbishop of Toronto (Canada), and Exarch of all Canada.
Bereavement
On 27 September, 2003, Archpriest Anthony (Antonios) Mavromaras fell asleep in the Lord in Winnipeg.
On Wednesday, 1 October, 2003, at 7:00 p.m. at Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church, a Memorial (Trisagion) Service was offered for the newly-departed.
On Thursday, 2 October, 2001, at 1:00 p.m., at Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church, the Funeral Service for the Burial of a Priest was offered.
Following the funeral obsequies, the body of Father Anthony Mavromaras was interred at the Chapel Lawn Memorial Gardens in Winnipeg.
Arrangements were entrusted to Thompson Funeral Home.
Priest Nikolaos Tambakis
After having served for 13 years at Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church in Thunder Bay, Ontario, since November, 2018, Father Nikolaos Tambakis returned to Winnipeg, in order to serve his home parish of Saint Demetrios. In doing so, he was reunited with his childhood friend and brother in Christ, Deacon John Karvelas.
Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Canada and All the Arctic, 2019
In 2019, the Metropolis of Toronto (Canada) was elevated to the dignity of Archdiocese. Thus, the official title of the diocese became “Holy Archdiocese of Canada and All the Arctic”, and alternatively, “Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Canada”.
Thus, Metropolitan Sotirios (Athanassoulas) was elevated to the dignity of Archbishop, with the title “Archbishop of Canada and All the Arctic”, and alternatively, “Greek Orthodox Archbishop of Canada”.
Particular parish information
This parish is a part of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese Canada, of the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Constantinople. The bishop is Archbishop Sotirios (Athanassoulas). The Vicar-Bishop is Bishop Athenagoras (Salmas). The patriarch is Patriarch Bartholomew (Archontonis).
This parish follows the New (Revised Julian) Calendar.
The Altar Feast-day of this parish is the Feast of Saint Demetrios of Thessalonika (26 October).
In 2026, the pastor of the parish was Priest Nikolaos Tambakis
Address :
Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church
2255, Grant Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba
R3P 0S2
Telephone : (204) 889-8723
Fax : 204.837.4340
Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox YouTube Greek Orthodox Community Facebook Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church Facebook
Directions :
Winnipeg is accessible by various air lines via the Richardson Winnipeg International Airport.
Winnipeg is accessible by rail through "Via Rail" at Union Station in Winnipeg.
Winnipeg is accessible by road through Trans-Canada Highway #1 from the East or West ; by the [Yellowhead Highway #16] from the West ; by Highway #6 from the North in Manitoba ; by Highway #75 or Highway #12 from the south (with connexions to the USA).
In Winnipeg, Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church is accessible by bus, through Winnipeg Transit, along Grant Avenue (Highway #105).
From the west, drive eastwards along Portage Avenue to the junction with Highway #90. Take the exit to Highway #90 towards Kenaston Boulevard. Drive southwards until Grant Avenue. Turn right (west) onto Grant Avenue. The Temple is on the right, at the junction with Shaftesbury Boulevard.
From the east, drive westwards along Highway #1 ; cross the Red River onto Main Street Northwards ; at Broadway Avenue (Union Station on the right), turn left onto Broadway Avenue ; drive westwards on Broadway Avenue until Portage Avenue. Veer to the left onto Portage Avenue. Drive westwards on Portage Avenue until Highway #90. Take the exit on the right for Highway #90 South/Kenaston Boulevard. Drive south on Century Street. Keep right on Kenaston Boulevard, and continue until Grant Avenue. Turn right (west) onto Grant Avenue. The Temple is on the right, at the junction with Shaftesbury Boulevard.
From the north, drive southwards on Main Street ; at the intersection with Portage Avenue, turn right onto Portage Avenue, and drive westwards until Highway #90 (Century Street). Turn onto Highway #90, and drive south on Century Street. Keep right on Kenaston Boulevard, and continue until Grant Avenue. Turn right (west) onto Grant Avenue. The Temple is on the right, at the junction with Shaftesbury Boulevard.
From the south, drive northwards along Highway #75 and the Pembina Highway, until the junction with Highway #165. Take the exit to the right, towards Highway #165, West. Drive westwards on Highway #165, and veer to the right onto Highway #90 North. Drive north until Grant Avenue (Highway #105). Turn left on Grant Avenue. The Temple is on the right, at the junction with Shaftesbury Boulevard.
Father Nikolaos Tambakis
priest@stdemetrioschurch.ca
Mobile: 204-333-3572
References
Additional information :
Efthimiou, Miltiades B and George A Christopoulos, eds., “History of the Greek Orthodox Church in America” (New York : Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of North and South America, 1984). ASIN : B001AD93BI.
Kitroeff, Alexander, “The Greek Orthodox Church in America : a modern History” (Ithaca, New York : Cornell University Press, 2020).
Pappaioannou, Priest George, ‘The Historical Development of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of North and South America’ in “A Companion to the Greek Orthodox Church”, ed. Litsas, F K (New York, NY : Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of North and South America, 1984).
Tarasar, Constance J, ed., "Orthodox America 1794-1976 : Development of The Orthodox Church in America" (Syosset, NY : The Orthodox Church in America Department of History and Archives, 1975). ASIN : B000ZLZAUE.
Manitoba Historical Society article about Saint Demetrios Orthodox Church
Orthodox World reference for Saint Demetrios Orthodox Church
Brief History of the Greek Archdiocese
Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Canada web-site
Wikipedia article about the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Canada
Orthodoxwiki article about the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Canada
Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America web-site
OrthodoxWiki article about the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of North and South America
Wikipedia article about the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
1996 Special Regulations and Uniform Parish Regulations Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
Uniform Community Regulations of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Canada, 2021
Orthodox Church of Greece web-site
Orthodoxwiki article about the Orthodox Church of Greece
Orthodoxwiki article about the Church of Constantinople
Patriarch Meletius IV (Metaxakis)
Patriarch Gregory VII (Zervoudakis)
Patriarch Constantine VI (Arapoglou)
Patriarch Basil III (Georgiadis)
Patriarch Photius II (Maniatis)
Patriarch Maximus V(Vapordzis)
Patriarch Athenagoras (Spyrou)
Patriarch Demetrios (Papadopoulos)
Patriarch Bartholomew (Archontonis)
Archbishop Athenagoras (Kokkinakis)
Archbishop Sotirios (Athanassoulas)
Bishop Bartholomew (Mostratos) of Keramos
Bishop Athenagoras (Salmas) of Patara
Bishop Iakovos (Antonopoulos) of Zinoupolis
Canadian Encyclopedia article about Greek Canadians
Wikipedia article about Greek Canadians
Metropolis of Toronto, Canada, elevated to Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Canada (13 June, 2019)
Three Vicar-Bishops received into the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Canada (2 August, 2020)



