Montréal QC Evangelismos-Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church 1909-1931, 1975
Montréal, Québec, Evangelismos-Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church, 1909-1931, 1975
Montréal Québec, Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, 1925-1986
Hellenic Community of Greater Montréal, 1926
"Evangelismos" in Greek means Annunciation in English.
Prehistory
From the first part of the 19th century, there were, from time to time, Orthodox Christians in Montréal, Québec, Canada.
Some of these immigrants settled in Montréal as early as 1843. The Canadian Census in 1871 states that there were 39 persons of Greek origin living in Canada. Greek immigration, sporadic prior to 1900, increased considerably in the early 20th century as a result of poverty, war, and political upheavals at home. Usually, they came from poorer regions.
As well, most others had arrived from various European and Middle-Eastern lands, and most of them travelled farther to the west in Canada (to Ontario, and to Western Canada), to various destinations in which they would settle. In later immigration, there were Greek-speakers who arrived as emigrants either from the still-young country of Greece, or from various parts of the Ottoman Empire.
During the 19th century, few Greek-speakers seem to have stayed in Montréal permanently. A significant number of the newcomers began to arrive who spoke Ukrainian or Romanian (who emigrated mostly from the Austro-Hungarian Empire territories), and most of them were destined to become homesteaders in Western Canada.
According to some, the arrival of Greek-speakers in Montréal had increased so that by 1897, there were about 70 in the city. They had come from Pekia, from the Islands, and from the portions of Macedonia and Epirus in the Ottoman Empire.
On a Sunday in August, 1897, they participated (along with the Syrians and the Russians) in the Divine Liturgy which was served by Archimandrite Raphael (Hawaweeny). He was a missionary priest who had come from New York City in the USA, under tthe blessing of Bishop Nicholas (Zioerov), in order to begin the organisation of Orthodox Christian communities in this part of Canada.
By the beginning of the 20th century, there were sufficient Orthodox Christians of several linguistic groups to begin organising worship-communities.
Syrian Orthodox
The first of the Syrian Orthodox parishes was the Saint Nicholas Syrian Orthodox Church (1896/1899), whose first and founding pastor was Archimandrite Raphael (Hawaweeny). He was, at that time, a missionary priest of the Diocese of the Aleutian Islands and New York (formerly the “Russian Mission”) of the Church of Russia. Later, he was ordained to the Holy Episcopate, and he became Bishop of Brooklyn (New York). As bishop, he established the Saint George Syrian Orthodox Church in Montréal, Québec (1908).
Russian Orthodox
At the same time, there had developed a significant immigration of peoples from Slavic lands, who spoke Russian, Ukrainian, Serbian, Slovak, and Bulgarian/Macedonian. A significant number of these worshipped at first with the Syrian Orthodox, but the language-barrier was significant.
In 1906, Bishop Tikhon (Belavin) of the Aleutian Islands and New York (Church of Russia) sent Priest Alexander Hotovitzky to Montréal (and also to the Atlantic provinces) to organise the Faithful in these regions. In 1906, he succeeded in organising the Slavic-speakers into a community, and in 1907, he established the Russian Orthodox parish of Saints Peter and Paul n Montréal, and he assigned the first priest.
Greek Orthodox
After 1905, the early immigrants began to join together to establish community organisations, such as cultural and patriotic associations. The purpose of these formations was to help immigrants adjust to their new life in Canada, and to combat prejudice and discrimination. The primary reason for joining together was to preserve the Greek language, their Greek traditions and rich culture. This was done by establishing Greek Schools to teach the language to their children, but also Greek Orthodox Churches in order to fulfil their spiritual, sacramental, and devotional needs.
In 1906, a Greek-speaking person presented himself as a priest and he offered to serve the people. The catastrophic result was his disappearance along with the theft of liturgical and other items which had been contributed. This was not the only case of such troubles which afflicted newly-arrived Orthodox Christians in various parts of Canada.
Early history
After 1905, the immigration of Greek-speakers increased ; by 1906, they numbered about 1,000 living in Montréal, Québec.
During that year, under the leadership of Haralampos (Harry) V Koutsogianopoulos, they organised themselves into a community for the purpose of establishing a Temple in which to worship the Lord, of giving focus and expression to their Orthodox Christian Faith, and also for the mutual support of the many newcomers to this new land and very different culture.
This was the first Greek Orthodox community and parish to be established in Canada.
The first committee that was organised consisted of
Haralampos (Harry) V Koutsogianopulos, president ; P G Demetre (Demetrios Pergantis), treasurer ; and members Constantine Metrakos ; Michael Nikolakakos ; Athanasios Spyridakos ; Demetrios Zarafonitis ; George Kyriazopoulos ; Michael Kokolidis ; George Clavdianos ; George Ayiorgitis.
In that year, the committee petitioned collectively to the Holy Synod of the Church of Greece that a priest be sent to serve them.
At that time, the Greek Orthodox Church in Greece was still responsible for Greek-speaking parishes in North America.
First pastor, 1906
On 25 October, 1906, Priest Agathodoros Papageorgopoulos (who had received the blessing from the Holy Synod of Bishops of the Church of Greece) arrived in Montréal, Québec.
From that time, services were offered in a hall on Saint Catherine Street, near Saint James Anglican Church. In addition, Father Agathadoros travelled about Eastern Canada during the following years in order to collect money towards establishing a permanent site for worship services in Montréal. During this time, he was helped in making the appeal by
H Poulos ; George Agetes ; Constantine Metrakos ; Dionysios Lazanis ; Eleftherios Papaioannou ; George Kyriazopoulos ; Michael Koliadis ; Nicholas Kalamatianos ; and others
First Temple, 1910
In 1910, sufficient funds had been collected that it became possible to construct a Greek Orthodox Temple to the Lord at #753, Saint Lawrence (Laurent) Boulevard in Montréal. on a vacant lot on the west side of Saint-Laurent Boulevard between Milton Street and Prince-Arthur Street.
On 5 May, 1910, at #753, Saint-Lawrence (Saint-Laurent) Boulevard, the cornerstone for this, the first Greek Orthodox Church to be built in Canada, was laid.
On 10 December, 1910, the Greek Orthodox Temple of the Annunciation to the Theotokos (“Evangelismos tis Theotokou”) was sanctified, and services began to be served.
However, for 15 years, the community suffered from political bickering and division (between royalists and republicans), which undoubtedly slowed progress in the community. However, these disagreements eventually led to the successful purchase of the Holy Trinity complex, in which Hellenism had placed all its hopes and visions, since its value reached $6.000.000.00.
Priests who served in the Annunciation/Evangelismos parish 1906-1931
Archpriest Agathadoros Papageorgopoulos 25 October, 1906-16 December, 1916 Priest Leonidas Adamakos 9 January, 1917-March, 1917 Priest Arsenios Palikaris 4 March, 1917-2 August, 1925 Priest Nicholas Gourgouras 12 September, 1925-15 November, 1928 Priest Daniel Skarpas December, 1928-March, 1929 Priest Epaminondas Chrysolaras March, 1929-July, 1929 Priest Vasilios Lokis July, 1929-8 November, 1930 Priest Damaskinos Smyrnopoulos November, 1930-January 17, 1931 Priest Chistoforos Kontoyorgos 1 February, 1931-5 July, 1931 Priest Vasilios Lokis July, 1931-October, 1931 Priest Sotirios Angelidis October, 1931-December, 1931
Harry Poulos (Koutsouyannopoulos) served as president of the Greek Orthodox Community “The Annunciation” from 1910 until 1931.
Incorporation, purchase of land, 1908
On 14 April, 1908, the southwest part of lot #112, Saint Lawrence (Laurent) Boulevard in Old Montréal, Québec, was bought, and the purchase was notarised. The land was acquired on behalf of the incipient parish of the “Greek Orthodox Church Evangelismos of Montréal”.
The first trustees in the parish corporation were :
Haralampos V Koutsogianopulos ; Konstantinos J Metrakos ; Mihail G Kokoliadis
The deed of sale was registered and became effective on 23 April, 1908.
On 7 May, 1909, the “Act to Incorporate ‘Greek Orthodox Church Evangelismos of Montréal’” of the Legislative Assembly of Quebec was assented to, and entered into the Statutes of the Province of Quebec 1909, Chapter 141. Included in the incorporation itself was the stated power to form, establish, and erect a school for Greek children which might give them an elementary education, and teach English, French, and Greek, and which was to be known as “The Greek Orthodox School of Montréal”.
Greek School, 1910
From the founding of the Evangelismos Greek School in 1910, the first teacher was John Didaskalou (from the Corinthia Province of Greece). The first house for school use was purchased in 1911 (at 753-755, Clark Street). This site was used until a new structure was purchased in 1925, at #6, Sherbrooke Street.
Later in 1912, a triplex on the east side of Elgin Street (now Clark Street, immediately behind the Temple) was bought, and it housed the first Greek day school in Montréal named “The Hellenic School Platon of Montréal”.
Also in 1912, the first Greek regional association, “The Cretan Brotherhood of Montréal” was established. This brotherhood came to be notably well-organised.
In 1918, the Hellenic School Platon began to be administered by a distinct and independent committee.
The first president of this committee was George Ganetakos, who was succeeded by Heraklis Papamanolis. They were assisted by Demetrios Lafkas, the treasurer, and also by
George Grivakis ; George Moraetis ; John Gerassimo ; Dem. Kokolis ; St. Rondoyannis ; George Lazanis ; George Halas.
Together, they raised the academic level of the school through adding the English and French languages to the Greek language. They abolished fees, and they paid off all the debts.
Division in the parish, 1925
A division in the parish occurred in 1925, when a portion of the congregation decided to separate, and to form “Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church” in Montréal.
This occurred primarily because of the political situation in Greece at the time (the overthrow of the monarchy, and the establishment of a republic). The new community members were of “republican” disposition, whereas the original community members were of “monarchist” disposition.
The ties of an immigrant people with their mother-land are not readily severed. This is particularly true of the Greeks living in Montréal with regard to the political upheavals in Greece during the 1920s.
Thus, in 1925, the Greek-speakers living in Montréal were divided by the same political partisanship which had divided the Greek Nation at that time.
Establishment of Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, 1925
As a consequence of the division from the Evangelismos (Annunciation) parish, the “Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church” was organised and established in 1925.
On 30 June, 1925, an existing church-building (constructed originally in 1865) was purchased from First Methodist Church. It was located on the southeast corner of Sherbrooke and Clark Streets, at #8, Sherbrooke Street West (just 2 city blocks away from the Evangelismos Temple).
That building had become redundant in the wake of the union of the Methodist, Presbyterian, and Congregational Churches which had formed the United Church of Canada in 1925.
On the same date, the parish house associated with the church-building and situated at #6, Sherbroooke Street West was purchased as well.
On 16 July, 1925, the “Socrates Anglo-Greek School Inc.” was incorporated, and the former parish house was designated for its use.
On 12 September, 1925, Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church at #8, Sherbrooke Street West, was incorporated officially.
On 14 September, 1925, on the feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, Bishop Joakim (Alexopoulos) of Boston (Massachusetts) sanctified the newly-acquired Holy Trinity Temple, and he celebrated the first Divine Liturgy in this Temple.
Priest Arsenios Pallikaris was the first pastor assigned to serve in this parish.
Then, on 24 March, 1926, the “Socrates Anglo-Greek School” and the Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church merged, and the Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Congregation of Montréal was incorporated (Chapter 99, Quebec National Assembly).
This particular event is significant in that the parish (which had already been incorporated in 1925) was re-incorporated in 1926. The merger with the corporation of the Socrates School seems to have brought about a substantial change in the structure.
Founding of the Hellenic Community of Greater Montréal, 1926
Although the available articles do not indicate it specifically, it seems that with the merger of Holy Trinity Church and the Socrates Anglo-Greek School in 1926, and with the incorporation of the Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Congregation, the founding of the Hellenic Community of Greater Montréal (HCGM) was considered to have occurred at that time. A seal of the community indicates the date 1926.
In 1927, the Hellenic Ladies Philanthropic League was established by the Hellenic Community. It was the first such society in North America, and it may be called the ancestor of the Philoptokos (Lovers of the Poor) Societies that came to exist in most Greek Orthodox Parishes in North America.
The events of 1925 to 1927, together with events which followed, seem to have begun a new direction in the administration of parish life in Montréal. It is a direction which was taken in other Greek Orthodox places and other Orthodox dioceses in Canada as well.
Distinction of community administration from diocesan administration
This new direction was the operation of parishes under the administration of a cultural community incorporated as a secular society, and independent from the responsible bishop. In normal Orthodox Christian practice, parishes are administered by elected parishioners under the guidance of the parish priest, and with the blessing of the bishop. Under the new system, the parish was operated by the community, which employed a priest who was supplied by the bishop.
An indication of this major change in disposition is found simply in the publications of the Community following the merging of the congregations. The names of priests before this merger are presented. The names of the priests who followed are not given in their published historical documents. Although the central and crucial role of the priests in gathering and unifying the people is acknowledged in their documents and statements, they are referred to as though they were a mere means to an end.
The community operated separately and distinctly from the bishop ; and in the language and use of the community, the Temple is an additional (not central) part of the community life. This arrangement reflects an innovation of the 20th century in North America. It is an arrangement in which “the cart comes before the horse”. Greek-speakers and all Orthodox Christians are who they are in each unique culture to which they have emigrated precisely because their life in Christ in the Church has formed them. Indeed, except for different languages, all Orthodox Christians live and worship in a similar manner. It is the Church which correctly comes first, and then all the other details.
The development of this new method of organisation and administration was encouraged (in a manner of speaking) by the financial crisis and economic upheaval that followed in the wake of the 1929 stock-market crash, as described by the HCGM’s history :
The financial crisis, however, which resulted from the 1929 ‘Crash’ of the Stock Market and which brought lean years for most of the world, did not spare the Greek Community of Montréal, which was not strong enough either in membership or financial output to sustain two churches and two parochial schools. As a result, on December 3rd, 1931, the two congregations reached an agreement for unification.
As described by the “Hellenic Post” historical article, this unification came about because of the economic situation, and because of the persuasion of Archbishop Athenagoras (Sypro) :
During the Great Depression, the first congregation “Evangelismos” faced a severe financial crisis and then Greek Archbishop of the Americas Athenagoras (later Patriarch of Constantinople) persuaded the members of the two churches to reconcile and as of December 1931 they all united under the second church and corporation HOLY Trinity Greek Orthodox Congregation of Montreal. The insolvent first corporation ceded the Evangelismos Church and Platon School properties to its two founders (who had personally guaranteed the mortgage) and the latter two sold the properties in 1934 to the Roman Catholic Church and paid off all of the first corporation’s debts.
As was written in the Montreal Greek Times in 2026,
On December 3, 1931, after the wretched division subsided, the two rival Greek Orthodox communities decided in a spirit of harmony to merge into one united, brotherly, and agreeing community named the Holy Trinity. George Vasilakis wrote in his book about Canada being the country of the bright future and the Hellenism within it: “At the same time that the Greek Orthodox Community of the ‘Annunciation of the Virgin Mary,’ omitting all the essentials, was daily involved in personal altercations, torn in the middle of contradictions and stubbornness, which had divided and turned it into a true arena of unbridled political passions, paradoxology, demagoguery and often fistfights, and while mutual fighting and stonings with manifest hostility continued between even those families of ‘royalists’ and ‘venizelists’ in the middle of the street and the indecencies and improprieties inside and outside of the Holy Temple of the parish….”.
Closure of Evangelismos/Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church, 1931
On 3 December, 1931, the “Evangelismos Greek Orthodox Church” was merged into the “Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Congregation of Montréal”.
On the same day, the Platon and Socrates schools merged, and the continuing school was thereafter known as the “Socrates Anglo-Greek School”.
After 1931, there was no further history of the parish of “Evangelismos”/Annunciation as such until 1975.
Other activities of the Hellenic Community of Greater Montréal
With the passage of time, the Hellenic Community of Greater Montréal acquired other congregations, and administered them likewise.
Later, the Evangelismos Church and the building of Platon school were sold to a Hungarian Roman Catholic Congregation, whereas Holy Trinity Church and the Socrates school were retained.
Sanctification of Holy Trinity Temple, Montréal, 1941
On Sunday, 1 June, 1941, the Greek Orthodox Holy Trinity Church was solemnly sanctified by Archbishop Athenagoras (Spyrou), Archbishop and Exarch of North and South America.
Priest Nicholas Salamis 1945-1961
From April, 1945 until May, 1961, Priest Nicholas Salamis served the Holy Trinity Parish.
Name-change, 1956
On 2 February, 1956, “Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Congregation of Montreal” changed its name to “Hellenic-Canadian Community of the Island of Montreal”. Chapter 99 of its constitution was amended by Chapter 152.
Saint George Cathedral ; Hellenic Community Centre, 1956-1962
On 24 October, 1956, the Hellenic Community purchased a choice piece of land of 303,000 square feet for the price of $290,000 on the corner of Côte-Sainte-Catherine and Wilderton Avenue. There, the Cathedral of Saint George and the Hellenic Community Centre were erected.
On 18 March, 1957, the board of governors was elected by the general assembly of the community with instruction to proceed with the construction of these new buildings.
In May, 1959, the board of governors of the community was officially established, and chapters 99 and 152 of the constitution were amended to become chapter 174.
Then the construction of Saint George’s Cathedral commenced at 2455 Côte-Sainte-Catherine, Montréal.
On 6 January, 1962, the construction of Saint George’s Cathedral was completed. The parish offered its first service of worship in the new building.
Godin Building, 1967
On 29 June, 1967, the “Godin Building” was purchased at 2116 Saint-Laurent Boulevard, Montréal, on the corner with Sherbrooke Street. This building was located next to Holy Trinity Church. Constructed in 1914 in “Art Nouveau” style, the building was named for Joseph-Arthur-Godin.
Dormition of the Theotokos Greek Orthodox Church, 1968
On 18 April, 1968, a church building was purchased at 7700, avenue de l’Epée, at rue Saint-Roch, Montréal. Then it was transformed into the “‘Koimisis tis Theotokou’ Greek Orthodox Church” (Dormition of the Theotokos Greek Orthodox Church).
Dormition of the Theotokos Greek Orthodox Church
On 5 May, 1968, Koimisis tis Theotokou (Dormition of the Theotokos) Greek Orthodox Church held its first service of worship. This service was led by the new pastor, Priest George Saitanis.
For the next several years, Father George helped the parish to settle, develop, and grow.
Socrates Anglo-Greek School name change, 1970
In 1970, the Socrates Anglo-Greek School was re-named “l’École élémentaire Socrates”.
Other developments
(See Hellenic Community of Greater Montréal history)
In 1971, the Department of Social Affairs of the Community was established.
On 5 January, 1971, École élémentaire Socrates-Campus I began operating at 275 rue Houde, Ville St-Laurent, north of Highway #440.
On 5 January, 1971, l’École Saint-Georges de la Cathédrale began operating at 2455 Côte-Ste-Catherine, Montréal.
On 14 January, 1971, the school building at 275 rue Houde, Ville St-Laurent was purchased in order to house l’École élémentaire Socrates – Campus I.
In September, 1971, the curriculum of l’École élémentaire Socrates was changed from English, Greek, and French, to French (62% of the programme), Greek, and English ; and the teaching time was augmented to 1750 minutes.
In February, 1972, l’École élémentaire Socrates was declared a school of “public interest” by the Ministère de l’Éducation du Québec.
In 1972, “l’École d’enseignement Ménager Philothéi I Athinéa” of the Community was established.
Move of the Head Office of the Community, 1972
In 1972, the Head Office of the Community moved to 2116, Boulevard Saint-Laurent, that is, to the “Godin Building”.
In 1975, the Senior Citizens Clubs of the Community were established.
Renewal of the Greek Orthodox Evangelismos/Annunciation Church, 1975
In the context of the increasing population of Greek-speakers immigrating into Montreal, it was decided to re-establish the first parish community of the city.
On Sunday, 10 August, 1975 (44 years after the 1931 closure), the renewed parish of Evangelismos/Annunciation (Église Grecque-Orthodoxe Evangelismos tis Theotokou) offered its first Divine Liturgy at 777, rue Saint-Roch, Montréal.
On Friday, 31 October, 1975, the Hellenic Community purchased the pre-existing building at 777, rue Saint-Roch, Montréal.
The Evangelismos Temple is situated in the district of Montréal known “Park Extension”. The name is derived from the main north-south artery, “Park Avenue” (“Avenue du Parc”) was the Greek Ghetto of Montréal in the 1970s, 1980s and early 1990s. The Greek Community had “Evangelismos Tis Theotokou” as its centre. It flourished under the supervision of George Saitanis. If it weren’t for him, many Greeks would have never survived. Thousands of Greek Orthodox Faithful, from all over Montréal and Laval, still attend Evangelismos Tis Theotokou Church.
The new Temple (left) ; The interior and iconostas (right)
Protopresbyter George and Presbytera Stavroula Saitanis
In 1975, Protopresbyter George Saitanis contributed to the purchase of Evangelismos Church where he served as archpriest until his retirement. Both temples of the Dormition and Evangelismos are located in the heart of Parc Extension and belong to the Hellenic Community of Greater Montréal.
George Saitanis was born in 1925 in Messenia, southern Greece, and he had 10 siblings. He showed his interest in church and chanting from his childhood. After the war, in 1946, he moved to Athens, where he worked as a state social security fund employee. In Athens, he met his future wife Stavroula.
Marriage, 1965
George Saitanis was married to Stavroula in 1965 in Athens, Greece. In due time, they received from the Lord 1 daughter, Argyro (Iro}.
After having emigrated to the USA, George studied at the Lexington Theological Seminary in Kentucky.
In 1966, George was invited to serve in Toronto, Ontario, by Bishop Timotheos (Halftis) of Toronto. (By this time, he had been ordained to the Holy Diaconate and to the Holy Priesthood.) In Toronto, Father George Saitanis worked for 2 years as assistant to Father Theophilos P Theophilos.
After he was transferred to Montréal, Father Saitanis became an emblematic figure in Montreal’s Greek community, and became considered to be its spiritual leader.
In 1977, the Hellenic Community became a member of the “Conseil du civisme de Montréal” (Montreal Civic Council).
On 10 September, 1977, the “École Saint-Georges de la Cathédrale” at 2455 Côte-Ste-Catherine, Montréal, merged with the “École élémentaire Socrates”, and the 2 began to function from then as the “École élémentaire Socrates – Campus I” at 275 rue Houde, Ville St-Laurent.
On 28 November, 1978, the « École élémentaire Socrates » became an associate school with the « Commission des écoles catholiques de Montréal ».
Protopresbyter George Saitainis
Ninth District becomes a Diocese, 1979
In 1979, the Ninth District of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of North and South America was elevated by the Patriarch of Constantinople to be the Greek Orthodox Diocese of Toronto (Canada), and Bishop Sotirios (Athanassoulas) of Constantia became became Bishop Sotirios (Athanassoulas) of Toronto (Canada).
Re-naming of the community, 1980
On Wednesday, 18 June, 1980, the Québec National Assembly adopted the controversial Private Bill 231, which granted the organisation a new name “Hellenic Community of Montréal”. This act was arguably the source of much debate and confusion. There was litigation as the lay directors and the religious hierarchs became opposed.
Destruction of Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, 1986
On Thursday, 16 January, 1986, Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, the only Greek Orthodox Church in Montréal for 46 years, was destroyed by fire.
News photo of the fire
In response to this tragedy, and since the building had been left in tatters for almost a year, the provincial government reportedly attempted to transform the old church building into an office building. The idea caused an uproar, since many communities wanted the church to be rebuilt. Finally, the project for its conversion into a commercial building was approved by the city in 1987, but only if the original structure was preserved. This was not to be. It was not possible to raise sufficient funds, and to obtain the needed permissions.
In 1997, the structure was demolished by order of the City of Montréal, and then a hotel was constructed in its place. On the corner next door to the former church, the “Godin Building” (constructed in 1915), an “Art Nouveau” structure, remained intact, and it was in time incorporated into the hotel.
The Diocese of Canada becomes a Metropolis, 1996
In 1996, the Patriarchate of Constantinople divided the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of North and South America into 4 parts : the USA, Canada, Central America, and South America.
On 30 July, 1996, Bishop Sotirios (Athanassoulas) was given the title Metropolitan Archbishop of Toronto (Canada), and the diocese was elevated to the status of a metropolitanate. At the same time, the Metropolis of Toronto (Canada) was detached from the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, and placed directly under the authority of the Patriarchal Throne in Constantinople.
Merger of the Hellenic Community of Montréal and the Greek Orthodox Community of Laval, 2010
On 10 June, 2010, the Hellenic Community of Montréal merged with the Greek Orthodox Community of Laval (the latter having been incorporated on 4 June, 1971) and the new amalgamated corporation became known as the Hellenic Community of Greater Montréal.
As a consequence, the first corporation “Evangelismos” and its charter were simply abandoned and never formally amalgamated nor merged with the second corporation, “Holy Trinity”. The first “Evangelismos” congregation is considered by many Faithful nowadays as the spiritual predecessor of the Hellenic Community of Greater Montréal.
Statement of purpose of the Hellenic Community
The HCGM’s mission is to ensure the progress of the culture of the population of Greek origin in the Region of Montréal, and especially :
• to preserve and promote the Greek language ;
• to set up charitable, welfare, and educational organisations for the benefit of the population of Greek origin ;
• to preserve and perpetuate the Greek Orthodox Faith and tradition implemented by the authority of the Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople according to the doctrine and the faith proclaimed and applied by the Greek Orthodox Church and as directed by the ecclesiastical authority and the religious precepts prescribed by the said Patriarchate.
In accordance with Orthodox Christian ecclesiology, the third point of this statement of mission ought to be in first place, since the other 2 points depend on it.
By 2024, the Hellenic Community of Greater Montréal was operating 6 parishes : Saint George Cathedral (1961) ; Evangelismos (Annunciation) (1909) ; Koimisis (Dormition) (1968) ; Saint John the Baptist (1984) ; Saint Nicholas (1971) ; Holy Cross (1991) . There were 3 regional councils of the community : Montréal, South-Shore, Laval.
Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Canada and All the Arctic, 2019
In 2019, the Metropolis of Toronto (Canada) was elevated to the dignity of Archdiocese. Thus, the official title of the diocese became “Holy Archdiocese of Canada and All the Arctic”, and alternatively, “Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Canada”.
Thus, Metropolitan Sotirios (Athanassoulas) was elevated to the dignity of Archbishop, with the title “Archbishop of Canada and All the Arctic”, and alternatively, “Greek Orthodox Archbishop of Canada”.
'Parishes subject to the Hellenic Community of Greater Montréal, 2024
By 2024, the Hellenic Community of Greater Montréal was operating 6 parishes : Saint George Cathedral (1961) ; Evangelismos (Annunciation) ; Koimisis (Dormition) ; Saint John the Baptist (1984) ; Saint Nicholas (1971) ; Holy Cross . There were 3 regional councils of the community : Montréal, South-Shore, Laval.
Hellenic Community of Greater Montréal
Particular parish information
This parish is a part of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese Canada, of the Greek Orthodox Patriarchate of Constantinople. The bishop is Archbishop Sotirios (Athanassoulas). The Vicar-Bishop is Bishop Athenagoras (Salmas). The patriarch is Patriarch Bartholomew (Archontonis).
This parish follows the New (Revised Julian) Calendar.
The Altar Feast-day of the parish is the Feast of the Annunciation to the Theotokos, 25 March.
In 2024, the pastor of the parish is Priest Charalambos Tzintis.
Address :
Evangelismos tis Theotokou Greek Orthodox Church
(Annunciation to the Theotokos Greek Orthodox Church)
777, Rue Saint-Roch
Montréal, Québec
H3N 2K3
Telephone : 514-273-9767
Fax : 514-273-9602
E-mail/Courriel : evangelismos@hcgm.org
Directions to the Temple :
By public transit :
Consult Société de transport de Montréal
By car :
From Boulevard René Lévesque, turn northwards on Rue Mansfield. At Rue Sherbrooke Ouest, turn left. After 2 blocks, turn right on Rue Peel. At the intersection with Avenue Doctor Penfield, turn right onto Avenue Dr. Penfield. Follow this road until the junction with Avenue Pine. Turn right onto Avenue Pine, and follow the merge into Avenue du Parc. Follow Avenue du Parc until the junction with Rue Jean-Talon Ouest. Turn left onto Rue Jean-Talon Ouest. Drive several blocks until Avenue Champagneur. Turn right onto Avenue Champagneur, and drive until the intersection with Rue Saint-Roch. Turn left on Rue Saint-Roch. The Temple is on the right-hand.
Address of the Hellenic Community of Greater Montréal
Hellenic Community of Greater Montréal
5775, Avenue Wilderton
Montréal, Québec
H3S 2V7
Telephone : 514-738-2421
E-mail/Courriel : info@hcgm.org
Web-site : https://hcgm.org/ Facebook
Reflections
This parish of Evangelismos-Annunciation is, in fact, the first of all the Greek Orthodox parishes to have been established in Canada. It is, therefore, effectively, the "mother parish" of the whole archdiocese.
It is true that the Hellenic Community of Greater Montreal (HCGM) has achieved notable feats in the care and maintenance, as well as the establishment of various Greek Orthodox Christian Temples in the Montréal region.
However, the manner in which the web-site presents the parishes that belong to it is lacking from the ecclesiastical point of view. Much is available concerning the HCGM itself. However, except for the somewhat short reference to the notable and revered Protopresbyter George Saitanis, there is next to no information about the names of any but current priests who have laboured in the spiritual leadership of the various parishes since their beginnings. Furthermore, there is very little information presented about the spiritual and social activities of the parishes.
This situation exists in many other contexts besides that of the HCGM (and not only in the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Canada). That the manner of presentation is as it is suggests that instead of being at the very foundation of Greek Orthodox society and culture (which it is), the Church is considered to be but an appendage or at best a chaplaincy to the cultural society. Unless this disorder is corrected, every society or corporation which continues in such a manner will find that it undermines itself by ignoring the roots that truly feed this culture.
References
History of the Annunciation to the Theotokos Greek Orthodox Church, Montréal, Québec
ΑΦΙΕΡΩΜΑ ΣΤΗΝ ΠΡΩΤΗΝ ΕΛΛΗΝΟΡΘΟΔΟΞΗΝ ΕΚΚΛΗΣΙΑΝ ΚΑΙ ΚΟΙΝΟΤΗΣ ΣΤΟ ΜΟΝΤΡΕΑΛ «ΕΥΑΓΓΕΛΙΣΜΟΣ ΤΗΣ ΘΕΟΤΟΚΟΥ» (Tribute to the First Greek Orthodox Church and Community in Montreal “Annunciation to the Virgin”) (1)
ΑΦΙΕΡΩΜΑ ΣΤΗΝ ΠΡΩΤΗΝ ΕΛΛΗΝΟΡΘΟΔΟΞΗΝ ΕΚΚΛΗΣΙΑΝ ΚΑΙ ΚΟΙΝΟΤΗΣ ΣΤΟ ΜΟΝΤΡΕΑΛ «ΕΥΑΓΓΕΛΙΣΜΟΣ ΤΗΣ ΘΕΟΤΟΚΟΥ» (Tribute to the First Greek Orthodox Church and Community in Montreal “Annunciation to the Virgin”) (2)
ΑΦΙΕΡΩΜΑ ΣΤΗΝ ΠΡΩΤΗΝ ΕΛΛΗΝΟΡΘΟΔΟΞΗΝ ΕΚΚΛΗΣΙΑΝ ΚΑΙ ΚΟΙΝΟΤΗΣ ΣΤΟ ΜΟΝΤΡΕΑΛ «ΕΥΑΓΓΕΛΙΣΜΟΣ ΤΗΣ ΘΕΟΤΟΚΟΥ» (Tribute to the First Greek Orthodox Church and Community in Montreal “Annunciation to the Virgin””) (3)
Additional information :
Florakas-Petsalis, Sophia, “To Build the Dream” – The Story of the Early Greek Immigrants in Montreal (Montreal, Quebec : Copyright 2000 Sophia Florakis-Petsalis).
Hellenic Community of Greater Montréal listing for Evangelismos Greek Orthodox Church
Orthodox World reference to Evangelismos Greek Orthodox Church
Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Canada listing for Evangelismos tis Theotokou
Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Canada web-site
Orthodoxwiki article about the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Canada
Orthodoxwiki article about the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
1996 Special Regulations and Uniform Parish Regulations Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
Uniform Community Regulations of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Canada, 2021
Orthodoxwiki article about the Orthodox Church of Greece
Patriarchate of Constantinople web-site
Orthodoxwiki article about the Patriarchate of Constantinople
Patriarch Meletius IV (Metaxakis)
Patriarch Gregory VII (Zervoudakis)
Patriarch Constantine V (Araboglou or Karatzopoulos)
Patriarch Basil III (Georgiadis)
Patriarch Photius II (Maniatis)
Patriarch Maximus V (Vaportzis)
Patriarch Athenagoras (Spyrou)
Patriarch Demetrios I (Papadopoulos)
Patriarch Bartholomew (Archontonis)
Archbishop Athenagoras (Kokkinakis)
Archbishop Iakovos (Coucouzis)
Archbishop Sotirios (Athanassoulas)
Bishop Christophoros (Rakintzakis)
Bishop Bartholomew (Mostratos)
Archpriest George and Presbytera Stavroula Saitanis
Obituary of Protopresbyter George Saitanis
Protopresbyter Nicholas and Presbytera Efrosini Salamis
Obituary of Protopresbyter Nicholas Salamis
History of the Greek Orthodox Church in Canada
Orthodoxwiki list of Orthodox parishes in Québec
Hellenic Post historical article about the Hellenic Community of Greater Montreal
Canadian Encyclopedia article about Greek Canadians
Wikipedia article about Greek Canadians
Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Toronto, Canada, elevated to Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Canada (13 June, 2019)
Montréal Gazette article "Montréal was home to two Trinity Churches built in 1865" (12 July, 2020)
Three Vicar-Bishops received into the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Canada (2 August, 2020)
Unforgettable event to honour Archbishop of Canada for “90 years of a bright journey” (17 June, 2026)
"Archbishop Sotirios of Canada to step down after 52 years" (24 June, 2026)
Video : National Film Board “The 80 Goes to Sparta” (1969)
Video : A Scattering of Seeds : Century Man – The Father Salamis Story (2010)
If any details need correcting, or if any information is missing, please send a note to the Contact E-mail : Info@orthodoxcanada.ca







