Montréal QC †Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church 1925-1986

From Canadian Orthodox History Project
Jump to navigation Jump to search


HolyTrinityGOCMontreal 2.png

Montréal QC †Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church 1925-1986

Hellenic Community of Greater Montréal, 1926


Prehistory

The prehistory of Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church in Montréal, Québec, Canada, is found in the early history of the “Evangelismos” (Annunciation) Greek Orthodox Church of Montréal, and those details are in the article about that parish.

Division in the Evangelismos parish, 1925

A division in the Evangelismos parish occurred in 1925, when a portion of the congregation decided to separate, and to form “Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church” in Montréal.

This occurred primarily because of the political situation in Greece at the time,

(the overthrow of the monarchy, and the establishment of a republic).  The new community members were of “nationalist” (usually republican) disposition, whereas the original community members were of “monarchist” disposition. 

The ties of an immigrant people with their mother-land are not readily severed. This is particularly true of the Greek-speakers living in Montréal with regard to the political upheavals in Greece during the 1920s.

Thus, in 1925, the Greek-speakers living in Montréal were divided by the same political partisanship which had divided the Greek Nation at that time.

The contributing political upheavals in Greece developed in the wake of the 1923 population exchange that followed Greece’s defeat in the Greco-Turkish War (1919-1922), and the consequent “Convention Concerning the Exchange of Greek and Turkish Populations” that was signed at Lausanne, Switzerland, on 30 January 1923, by the governments of Greece and Turkey (now Türkiye).

Establishment of Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, 1925

As a consequence of the division from the Evangelismos parish, the “Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church” was organised and established in 1925.

Purchase of the Temple

History of the church building

Formerly known as the “Eastern Wesleyan Methodist Church” and “First Methodist Church”, it was built in 1865. It was situated on the south side of Sherbrooke Street West, at the corner of Clark Street (formerly known as Saint-Charles Borromée Street), between Clark and Saint-Laurent (Lawrence).


EasternWesleyanMethodistMontreal 2.png


It was designed by Architect Cyrus P Thomas.

That building had become redundant in the wake of the union of the Methodist, Presbyterian, and Congregational Churches which had formed the United Church of Canada in 1925.

Purchase of the building, 1925

On 30 June, 1925, an existing church-building (constructed originally in 1865) was purchased from First Methodist Church. It was located on the southeast corner of Sherbrooke and Clark Streets, at #8, Sherbrooke Street West (just 2 city blocks away from the Evangelismos Temple).

The actual purchase of the Holy Trinity building took place in August, 1925, in the context of the political controversy that divided the Greek-speaking community in Montreal.

 A group of ‘hot blooded Venizelists’ led by G. Kalfakis, N. Fragalexis, T. 
 Skaperdas, N. Manolakos, A. Peppas, P. Charalambous, K. Karakasis, A. Naoum, G. Mytilineos, P. Goulakos, K. Alexopoulos, 
 S. Rondogiannis, E. Papadakis, V. Xenakis, M. Chatzidakis, D. Apostolopoulos, P. Adamako, and many others still 
 ‘venizelists’, broke away from the community of the Annunciation.  At the beginning of August, 1925, with a down-
 payment of two thousand dollars, they purchased for fifty thousand dollars of credit the Methodist church at the corner 
 of Sherbrooke and Clark.  On December 25 of that same year, the church was renovated and handed over to Orthodox 
 worship in the name of the Holy Trinity, with Archimandrite A. Pallikaris presiding.
 
 The relevant minutes of the eventual merger were signed on behalf of the Greek Orthodox community of the Annunciation 
 by Panagiotis Merakos, Dimitrios Theodoropoulos, Apostolos Zarafonitis, Konstantinos Kourtis, Nikolaos Tzelos, Spyros Kolyvas, 
 and Panagiotis Agiorgitis.  On behalf of the Greek Orthodox community of the Holy Trinity, the signatories were Spyros 
 Adrianopoulos, Ioannis Spiliotopoulos, Christos Notarios, Nikolaos Beis, Panagiotis Polychronis, Ioannis Apostolakos, 
 Panagiotis Dragonas, Panagiotis Adrianopoulos, Giorgos Gavaris, and Kostas Karakasis.  The signing of the union 
 agreement took place in an atmosphere of full enthusiasm and with the blessings of Archimandrite Arsenios (Pallikaris).  
 After the unification of the communities of the Annunciation and Holy Trinity, the assets of the Greek Orthodox 
 community of the Annunciation, including the church and the school building, were sold to the Hungarian community for 
 economic reasons. 
 
 The new Greek Orthodox community of Montreal was then limited to the newly acquired church of the Holy Trinity and the 
 adjacent buildings.  After being renovated, these structures served community needs until 1970 as the Socrates 
 community school classrooms.

History of the adjacent Godin Building

On the same date in 1925, the building which became the parish house associated with the church-building and situated at #6, Sherbrooke Street West, was purchased as well. This structure, the Godin building, next door to the old Holy Trinity Church, had been built in 1915.

Immediately after its construction, it became one of the first residential buildings in Canada inspired by Art Nouveau. The building is the achievement of architect Joseph-Arthur Godin. The original architectural concrete building, with pale colours, vaulted doors, and arched windows and balconies with metal balustrades, perfectly fits the slope of the Boulevard Saint-Laurent. Its design recalls the French style of the early twentieth century. At the time, this building was said to have re-invented Montreal’s urban habitat, nothing less.

The land on which the Joseph-Arthur-Godin Building stands was successively owned by Thomas Torrance (1776-1826) and the Molson family in the 19th century. In December. 1913, architect Joseph-Arthur Godin (1879-1949) and the firm Flahaut et Frères partnered to purchase the land from the Bank of Montreal. In June, 1914, Godin became the sole owner, and constructed the building.

Joseph-Arthur Godin is believed to have received his training at the École des Beaux-Arts in Paris, France. His work is diverse and includes institutional, residential, and commercial buildings. At the beginning of his career, his designs were in keeping with the architectural traditions of the time, but his approach changed starting in 1909. When he built the building that now bears his name, Godin was not only an architect : he also acted as a developer, which allowed him to experiment with new construction techniques and forms.

The Joseph-Arthur-Godin Building is an apartment building that embodies the modern movement in architecture from both a technological and stylistic point of view. It is one of the rare examples of early 20th-century residential concrete architecture in North America. Indeed, while concrete structures were developed and used in architecture as early as the late 19th century in Europe, their first applications in Quebec did not occur until around 1910. These structures were then used in engineering projects (bridges, aqueducts, tunnels etc.), and in industrial architecture. The reinforced concrete skeleton of the Joseph-Arthur-Godin building consists of pillars and beams supporting concrete slabs. This technique is similar to the system invented and patented by François Hennebique (1842-1921), a French engineer, in the early 1890s.

The Joseph-Arthur-Godin building draws inspiration from early 20th-century European architectural trends. This influence is evident in the use of concrete, the clarity of its structural elements, and the absence of superfluous ornamentation. Furthermore, the flowing lines of the undulating facades and the varied shapes of the openings, the semicircular balconies, the fan-shaped arches of the portals, and the interior spiral staircase connect it to Art Nouveau. Originally, the building was ochre in colour.

In 1915, Mr. Godin, experiencing financial difficulties, had the building seized and sold by the sheriff to the Bank of Montreal. For this reason, the interior was not finished, and it remained unoccupied until 1919. Then, after the Second World War, it was repurposed as a clothing factory, and as an office building.

In 1967, the Hellenic Canadian Committee acquired the property, adjacent to Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church. This was followed by the gradual northward migration in the city by the Greek-speaking residents, beginning in the 1970s. After the destructive fire in 1986, the community considered demolishing both the building and the church, in order to construct a commercial and administrative building. However, discussions with the Ministry of Cultural Affairs and the City of Montreal ultimately led to the preservation of the Godin Building. Years passed before what would happen to the destroyed Temple of Holy Trinity was decided.


6SherbrookeStOuest 1.png GodinBuilding 2.png

The Godin Building


Socrates School

On 16 July, 1925, the “Socrates Anglo-Greek School Inc.” was incorporated, and the former parish house was designated for its use.

On 12 September, 1925, Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church at #8, Sherbrooke Street West, was incorporated officially.

Sanctification of the Temple, 1925

On 14 September, 1925, on the feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, Bishop Joakim (Alexopoulos) of Boston (Massachusetts) sanctified the newly-acquired Holy Trinity Temple, and he celebrated the first Divine Liturgy in this Temple.

Priest Arsenios Pallikaris was the first pastor assigned to serve in this parish.

Then, on 24 March, 1926, the “Socrates Anglo-Greek School” and the Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church merged, and the Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Congregation of Montréal was incorporated (Chapter 99, Quebec National Assembly).

This particular event is significant in that the parish (which had already been incorporated in 1925) was re-incorporated in 1926. The merger with the corporation of the Socrates School seems to have brought about a substantial change in the structure.

Founding of the Hellenic Community of Greater Montréal, 1926

Although the available articles may not indicate it specifically, it seems that with the merger of Holy Trinity Church and the Socrates Anglo-Greek School in 1926, and with the incorporation of the Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Congregation, the founding of the Hellenic Community of Greater Montréal (HCGM) was considered to have occurred at that time. A seal of the community indicates the date 1926.

Hellenic Ladies Philanthropic League

In 1927, the Hellenic Ladies Philanthropic League was established by the Hellenic Community. It was the first such society in North America, and it may be called the ancestor of the Philoptokos (Lovers of the Poor) Societies that came to exist in most Greek Orthodox Parishes in North America.

The events of 1925 to 1927, together with events which followed, seem to have begun a new direction in the administration of parish life in Montréal. It is a direction which was taken in other Greek Orthodox communities and other Orthodox dioceses in Canada as well.

Distinction of community administration from diocesan administration

This new direction was the operation of parishes under the administration of a cultural community incorporated as a secular society, and independent from the responsible bishop. In normal Orthodox Christian practice, parishes are administered by elected parishioners under the guidance of the parish priest, and with the blessing of the bishop. Under the new system, the parish was operated by the community, which employed a priest who was supplied by the bishop.

An indication of this major change in disposition is found simply in the publications of the Community following the merging of the congregations. The names of priests before this merger are presented. The names of the priests who followed are not given in their published historical documents.

The community operated separately and distinctly from the bishop ; and in the language and use of the community, the Temple is an additional (not central) part of the community life. This arrangement reflects an innovation of the 20th century in North America. It is an arrangement in which “the cart goes before the horse”. Greek-speakers and all Orthodox Christians are who they are in each unique culture to which they have emigrated precisely because of the manner in which their life in Christ in the Church has formed them. Indeed, except for different languages, all Orthodox Christians live and worship in a similar manner, in accordance with the Holy Gospel. It is the Church which correctly comes first, and then all the other details.

The development of this new method of organisation and administration was encouraged (in a manner of speaking) by the financial crisis and economic upheaval that followed in the wake of the 1929 stock-market crash. Indeed, this phenomenon appeared throughout Canada in many Orthodox Christian communities of all sorts throughout Canada. Following is the local description from the HCGM’s history :

 The financial crisis, however, which resulted from the 1929 ‘Crash’ of the Stock Market and which brought 
 lean years for most of the world, did not spare the Greek Community of Montréal, which was not strong enough either 
 in membership or financial output to sustain two churches and two parochial schools.  As a result, on December 3rd, 
 1931, the two congregations reached an agreement for unification.  

As described by the “Hellenic Post” historical article, this unification came about because of the economic situation, and because of the persuasion of Archbishop Athenagoras (Sypro) :

 During the Great Depression, the first congregation ‘Evangelismos’ faced a severe financial crisis and then 
 Greek Archbishop of the Americas Athenagoras (later Patriarch of Constantinople) persuaded the members of the two 
 churches to reconcile and as of December 1931 they all united under the second church and corporation Holy 
 Trinity Greek Orthodox Congregation of Montreal.  The insolvent first corporation ceded the 
 Evangelismos Church and Platon School properties to its two founders (who had personally guaranteed the 
 mortgage) and the latter two sold the properties in 1934 to the Roman Catholic Church and paid off all of the first 
 corporation’s debts.

As was written in the Montreal Greek Times in 2026,

 On December 3, 1931, after the wretched division subsided, the two rival Greek Orthodox communities decided in a spirit of 
 harmony to merge into one united, brotherly, and agreeing community named the Holy Trinity. George Vasilakis wrote in his 
 book about Canada being the country of the bright future and the Hellenism within it : ‘At the same time that the Greek 
 Orthodox Community of the “Annunciation of the Virgin Mary”, omitting all the essentials, was daily involved in personal 
 altercations, torn in the middle of contradictions and stubbornness, which had divided and turned it into a true arena of 
 unbridled political passions, paradoxology, demagoguery and often fistfights, and while mutual fighting and stonings with 
 manifest hostility continued between even those families of “royalists” and “venizelists” in the middle of the street and the 
 indecencies and improprieties inside and outside of the Holy Temple of the parish...’.

Although the work of this and other such para-Church organisations have done much good, the fact that they are fundamentally secular organisations (and legally registered as such, on the basis of ethnic identities), and although they purport to support parish life, they nevertheless inhibit the normal development of a normal Orthodox Christian way of life, and of spiritual development.

There are ways in which such organisations may function yet better completely within and in harmony with the Church herself, instead of beside Her.


HolyTrinityGreekOrthodoxMontrealCongregation 2.png Congregation of Holy Trinity Church in 1930s

Union of the divided communities, 1931

As was clearly presented in her book "To Build the Dream" (pp. 284-286), Sophia Florakas-Petsalis cites writings which acknowledge that it was the work of (at that time) Archbishop Athenagoras (Spyrou) that pacified the antipathy between the "Venizelists" and "Royalists". It was because of his prayers, activities, and words that the nearly 3,000 Greek-speakers were able to face the consequences of the "Great Depression" together.

Closure of Evangelismos/Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church, 1931

On 3 December, 1931, the “Evangelismos Greek Orthodox Church” was merged into the “Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Congregation of Montréal”.

On the same day, the Platon and Socrates schools merged, and the continuing school was thereafter known as the “Socrates Anglo-Greek School”.

On 3 December, 1931, there was a procession of the parishioners of the Evangelismos parish, and the children of the Platon School, to the Holy Trinity Temple. Led by Archbishop Athenagoras, they carried the icons, relics, and other sacred items of their Temple to their new home at the Holy Trinity Temple.

After 1931, there was no further history of the parish of “Evangelismos”/Annunciation as such until its renewal in 1975.

In 1938, the Faithful undertook a complete renovation of the Temple.

At this time, the pastor of the parish was Archpriest Dionysios Mavrias.

Sanctification of Holy Trinity Temple, Montréal, 1941

On Sunday, 1 June, 1941, the Greek Orthodox Holy Trinity Church was solemnly sanctified by Archbishop Athenagoras (Spyrou), Archbishop and Exarch of North and South America.

Shortly afterwards, on 5 November, 1941, the mortgage was retired. A group of Greek entrepreneurs had purchased the Temple for $50,000.00.

The 20-year period from 1932 to 1952 is considered by some to be the most insignificant, because it was not distinguished by large and noteworthy creative efforts. It is important to remember that during this time, an economic crisis, the Second World War, and a Civil War in the motherland took place. During the German occupation from 1941 to 1944, and also during the Civil War from 1944 to 1950, the community contributed unimaginably through the Greek War Relief programme to the relief of those who suffered from the war.

In the meantime, from 1947 to 1952, the Greek immigrants in Montréal grew from 3,000 to 5,000, while the immigration waves that followed after 1950 created large community needs. The Greek Orthodox church of the Holy Trinity and the cramped and unsuitable school building were deemed insufficient.

Priest Nicholas Salamis 1945-1961

From April, 1945 until May, 1961, Priest Nicholas Salamis served the Holy Trinity Parish.

Name-change, 1956

On 2 February, 1956, “Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Congregation of Montreal” changed its name to “Hellenic-Canadian Community of the Island of Montréal”. Chapter 99 of its constitution was amended by Chapter 152.

Destruction of Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, 1986

On Thursday, 16 January, 1986, Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, the only Greek Orthodox Church in Montréal for 46 years, was destroyed by fire.


HolyTrinityGOChurchFire 1.png News photo of the fire


HolyTrinityGOCPost-fire 2.png The Temple ruins after the fire


In response to this traumatic situation, and since the building had been left in ruins for almost a year, the provincial government reportedly attempted to transform the old church building into an office building. The idea caused an uproar, since many communities wanted the church to be rebuilt. Finally, the project for its conversion into a commercial building was approved by the city in 1987, but only if the original structure was preserved. This was not to be. It was not possible to raise sufficient funds, nor to obtain the needed permissions.

In 1997, the structure was demolished by order of the City of Montréal, and then a hotel was constructed in its place. On the corner next door to the former church, the “Godin Building” (constructed in 1915), an “Art Nouveau” structure, remained intact, and it was in time incorporated into the hotel.


In response to this tragedy, and since the building had been left in tatters for almost a year, the provincial government reportedly attempted to transform the old church building into an office building. The idea caused an uproar, since many communities wanted the church to be rebuilt. Finally, the project for its conversion into a commercial building was approved by the city in 1987, but only if the original structure was preserved. This was not to be. It was not possible to raise sufficient funds (chiefly because what had been collected was stolen), and to obtain the needed permissions.

Ultimately, in 1997, the structure was demolished by order of the City of Montréal, and then a hotel was constructed in its place. On the corner next door to the former church, the “Godin Building” (constructed in 1915), an “Art Nouveau” structure, remained intact ; and in time, it was incorporated into the hotel.


Note :

Since the destruction of the Holy Trinity Temple, the Archives and the Registry Book of this parish have been kept at Saint George’s Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Montréal.

Reflections

During the lengthy period of its existence and service, the Greek Orthodox parish of Holy Trinity in Montréal kept Greek-speaking Orthodox Christians together during very difficult economic times locally, and very difficult times internationally.

The faithful perseverance of the Faithful eventually produced not only the resurrection of the actual "mother parish" of the city of Montréal, but also the establishment (one might say) of the many other Greek Orthodox parishes which sprang up thereafter. It was former parishioners of Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church who acted as "yeast" in this development in one way or another.

Particular Parish Information

This parish was part of the Greek Orthodox Metropolis (now Archdiocese) of Canada, Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of North and South America, in the Patriarchate of Constantinople. The bishop was Metropolitan (now Archbishop) Sotirios (Athanassoulas).

This parish followed the New (Revised Julian) Calendar.

The Altar Feast-day of the parish was the Feast of Pentecost (Holy Trinity).


Address :

Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church

6, 8, rue Sherbrooke Street Ouest

Montréal, Québec

H2X 1C2


References

History of Greek Montreal

Hotel10Montreal Do you know the story of the Holy Trinity Church


Additional information :

Florakas-Petsalis, Sophia, “To Build the Dream” –The Story of the Early Greek Immigrants in Montreal (Montreal, Quebec : Copyright 2000 Sophia Florakis-Petsalis).

Wikimedia Commons reference to the Eastern Wesleyan Methodist Church, Montreal

Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Canada web-site

Orthodoxwiki article about the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Canada

Orthodoxwiki article about the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

Church of Greece web-site

Orthodoxwiki article about the Orthodox Church of Greece

Patriarchate of Constantinople web-site

Orthodoxwiki article about the Patriarchate of Constantinople

Patriarch Meletius IV (Metaxakis)

Patriarch Gregory VII (Zervoudakis)

Patriarch Constantine V (Araboglou or Karatzopoulos)

Patriarch Basil III (Georgiadis)

Patriarch Photius II (Maniatis)

Patriarch Benjamin I (Psomas)

Patriarch Maximus V (Vaportzis)

Patriarch Athenagoras (Spyrou)

Patriarch Demetrios I (Papadopoulos)

Archbishop Athenagoras (Kokkinakis)

Archbishop Iakovos (Coucouzis)

Archbishop Sotirios (Athanassoulas)

Archpriest George and Presbytera Stavroula Saitanis

Obituary of Protopresbyter George Saitanis

Obituary of Protopresbyter Nicholas Salamis

History of the Greek Orthodox Church in Canada

Hellenic Post historical article about the Hellenic Community of Greater Montreal

Canadian Encyclopedia article about Greek Canadians

Wikipedia article about Greek Canadians

Greek diaspora

Holy Trinity’s enduring flame : forty years since the fire that forged our Greek community” (Greektimes.ca, 10 March, 2026)

Holy Trinity and the ghost of a promised Parthenon” (Greektimes.ca, 29 March, 2026)