Desjarlais AB Saint Nicholas Russo Orthodox Church and Cemetery 1917
Desjarlais, AB, Church and Cemetery of Saint Nicholas, 1917
Prehistory
The first recorded settlers in the Willingdon, Two Hills, Vegreville and Vilna areas of Alberta, Canada, was in the early 1800s. At that time, this region was part of the North-West Territories. The settlers were Hudson's Bay Company fur-traders. After the fur-traders came the Northwest Mounted Police (NWMP), and the Métis. These were followed by some American ranchers.
The first recorded European immigrants were mainly from the Romanian and Ukrainian parts of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. In 1896, Prime Minister Sir Wilfred Laurier's Liberal government was keen on settling the west, and they thus welcomed immigration with open arms. Therefore, by the later 1890s and early 1900s, the Northwest Territories (Alberta became a province only in 1905) were rapidly becoming populated with non-indigenous immigrants. Lakes and rivers played an important role in determining where settlements were established. There were as yet no roads, but only ancient paths and trails. Ferries and boats were used for river transport of people, supplies, and such. Eventually, bridges began to be built across the rivers. The Desjarlais river crossing of the North Saskatchewan River, complete with a cable ferry, began to operate in about 1910. It was operated under the jurisdiction of the Alberta provincial government until 1964.
One of the first settlers in Desjarlais was Daniel Desjarlais, a Métis gentleman. He had a trading post on the south side of the North Saskatchewan River at the ferry crossing. A post office was established on 1 December 1903, and Daniel Desjarlais became the first postmaster. The Desjarlais school district came into being in 1910.
The pioneers came to Canada for the opportunity to own their own land, to create a better life for their families, and ultimately to enable their children to receive an education. They came with nothing but physical stamina, big dreams, big hearts filled with devout faith in Jesus Christ, their Lord and Saviour. Such was the foundation of the province. It is for this principal reason that a church was vital to these new Canadians. Their faith and their worship sustained them through all their trials and tribulations, and for this reason the Temple of the Lord was one of the first institutions to be erected in a community.
The principal foundation of this rural community that now surrounds the Temple of Saint Nicholas, Desjarlais, was made by people who had immigrated from the Romanian province of Bucovina and then settled in the Two Hills region of Alberta. The majority of the settlers had originated in the Village of Boian, near Cernăuți in the Chernivtsi province of Ukraine, which is northern Bucovina. This part of Bucovina-Moldavia was of mixed Romanian and Russian-Ukrainian speakers, which before World War I, was a part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. In this environment, there was considerable pressure on Orthodox Christians to become united to the Roman Catholic Church, and employment opportunities were limited. These were reasons for people to accept the offers presented by Canadian agents who were persuading people to become farmers and workers in Canada. Some stopped in Eastern Canada, but most continued on to the west, to Western Canada.
It was this part of Bucovina that was severed as one result of the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact between Mr. J Stalin and the western European powers before World War II. The whole province was then divided so that Romanian speakers were living within the Soviet Union (USSR), in Ukraine, and they were pressed to speak Ukrainian. There were also some Ukrainian speakers who then lived in Romania, and who were pressed to speak Romanian. Previously, they had all lived together without this pressure and division of families.
The development of the parish of Saint Nicholas was a development also from the Temple of Saint Mary in Boian, Alberta, northeast of Edmonton.
Other places settled by Romanians were Ispas, Shepenge, Midway, Malin, Hamlin, Desjarlais, Shalka, Borowich, Zhoda, Soda Lake and Smoky Lake. Families with the name of Esak, Iftody, Isaac, Isak are amongst the families in this community, as well as Shukalek.
Founding the parish, 1917
Simeon Menzak was one of the founding members of the parish of Saint Nicholas in Desjarlais. Simeon came to Canada from Ukraine with his wife and daughters in 1908, and he settled in this region. Shortly after their arrival, one of the young daughters died and was buried on a plot of land that would eventually become the Desjarlais Cemetery. Simeon was strongly concerned that a Temple be built there.
Although there were other established Temples in the area (Shandro, Old Wostok, Boian), the Desjarlais community felt the need for their own Temple nearby. Besides, “in the area” at that time nevertheless a meant a long journey by horse. The first meeting was held on 1 March, 1917, which resulted in the foundation of the parish community. The following persons became the founders at that time :
Michailo Chornohus ; Tofan Chornohus ; Metro Demko ; Todor Elchuk ; Patraki Esak ; Iwan Fyka ; Wasel Karbashewski ; Metro Koroluk ; Alex Menzak ; Simeon Menzak ; Iwan Patroniuk ; Dioneziu Strynadka ; George Strynadka ; Hrysko Strynadka ; Makary Strynadka ; Tanasie Strynadka ; Vasileka V Strynadka.
The first executive consisted of :
Chairman, Simeon Menzak ; Secretary-Treasurer, Makary Strynadka ; Trustee, Iwan Patroniuk.
Soon afterwards, in the spring of 1917, construction began. Stephen Gudzowaty was contracted to build the Temple. The Greek domes style of architecture was chosen. The parishioners cut, squared and hauled logs with teams of horses. With teams of horses and wagons, rocks were brought in to the site for making the foundation. The ladies of the community spun yarn and they embroidered cloths and they wove tapestries to adorn the interior of the Temple.
Construction of the Temple, 1918
In early 1918, the construction of the Temple was completed. Then, on the spring Feast-day of Saint Nicholas, on 22 May, 1918, Father Gregory Soroka sanctified the Temple. The parish was incorporated on 10 December, 1918, as : “St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church of Desjarlais”. It was on 31 July, 1919, that the parish received the title to the 40 acres of land at the land description site NE 1/4 9-57-14-W4. It was registered under : “An Ordinance Respecting the Holding of Lands in Trust for Religious Societies and Congregations”.
In a book published in 1990 by the Willingdon History Book Committee called “Early Foundations : Willingdon and Area History” (see http://www.afhs.ab.ca/aids/localhistory/localhist_w.html), it is written :
The unique thing about this incorporation is that since (its) members were Russo Orthodox, Ukrainian Orthodox, and Romanian Orthodox they chose to incorporate it as Greek Orthodox and any clergy of any Orthodox denomination were allowed to serve in the church.
This statement about anyone’s being able to serve there is not precisely the case (because of Orthodox Church discipline). However, because the parish of Saint Nicholas, Desjarlais and that of Saint Mary in Boian are near to each other, and because of the significant Romanian presence in this community, there has always been a close relationship between the families of these parishes. However, it is true that it is unusual that a parish which serves 3 different national groups could have a priest visit or be assigned to serve in this parish and use one or all 3 languages ; but the serving required and still requires the blessing of the diocesan bishop.
The bell-house just northwest of the Temple is quite similar in style (but different in construction material) to the one at Holy Trinity Church, Sunland. This sort of bell-house reflects the presence of Romanians in the community.
Move to the Moscow Patriarchate Parishes in Canada, 1975
In 1975, the Archpriest Michael Andruchow suddenly fell asleep in the Lord. Because the Archdiocese of Canada suffered from a shortage of available priests at that time, and because the Parishes of the Moscow Patriarchate had available priests who were brought from the Soviet Union to serve, the parishioners accepted services from this administration from 1975 until 1984.
In 1980, the Temple was designated as a “Local Historical Site” by the Alberta Government’s Department of Culture and the County of Two Hills. Grants were received in order to repair the Temple and to restore it to its original condition.
Return to the Archdiocese of Canada, 1984
It was by 1984 that Archpriest Stephen Keaschuk in Edmonton was available to care for several rural parishes by driving from the city. After that, the Archdiocese of Canada was able to provide the necessary clergy.
In 1987, the parish of Saint Nicholas joined the “Lakeland Mission”. This was part of an attempt within the Archdiocese of Canada to group together the now small rural communities. The purpose was multiple. This grouping enabled several parishes together to contribute towards the compensation of a priest to serve them. It moved the language of service towards the greater use of the English language. It provided more mutual support as the parishioners began to travel from Temple to Temple along with the priest. It enabled some more efficient Christian education, both of adults and children. It was because the members of the parish of Saint Nicholas were concerned about the inability of their younger members who could not speak Ukrainian or Romanian, and their hope that a proper understanding of worship would help them to grow in the Faith that encouraged them to make this commitment.
1992 : 75 years
In 1992, the parish celebrated its 75th anniversary, and in 2007, it celebrated its 90th anniversary.
100th Anniversary, 2017
On Sunday 11 June, 2017, Archbishop Irénée (Rochon) celebrated the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy at Saint Nicholas Church, on the occasion of the centennial anniversary of the founding of the parish. Concelebrating with Vladyka Irénée were the Priest R Tikhon Bishop, Archimandrite Gerasim (Power), Archpriest Nikolai Nikolaev, Priest Daniel Friesen, Priest Evgeny Prokhin, Protodeacon Jesse Isaac, Deacon Nicolas Svetlovsky, and Deacon Kolin Berglund.
During the Divine_Liturgy Divine Liturgy, Vladyka Irénée awarded Father Tikhon with a nabedrennik for his work as rector. He also awarded Deacon Kolin with a double orarion. At the end of the Divine Liturgy, Vladyka Irénée presented to the parish a gramota from the Holy Synod of Bishops of The Orthodox Church in America. Vladyka Irénée then blessed water outdoors. This was followed by a procession around the Temple, blessing the church farm field, and the newly erected monument.
On 27 May, 2018, the Priest Ryan Tikhon Bishop was transferred to Meadow Lake, Saskatchewan.
On 27 May, 2018, the Priest Kolin Berglund of Smoky Lake was assigned to serve this parish.
The parishioners of this community have long been known for their Christian hospitality and their serious desire to live their lives faithfully.
At the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy
Vladyka Irénée and clergy at the conclusion of the Divine Liturgy
Passing the bell-house in procession
Parishioners and guests at the 2017 centennial anniversary
Saint Nicholas Cemetery, 1909, 1917
The cemetery was formally established in 1917, but the first interment occurred in 1909. The environment of the cemetery is very peaceful, surrounded by rolling hills and fields.
The site location of the cemetery is : NE 1/4 9-57-14-W4 Desjarlais, Two Hills County, Alberta
Priests who have served in the parish of Saint Nicholas, Desarlais include :
Priest Gregory Soroka 1918-1921 Priest Alexander Pyza 1921-1928 Priest Antoniy Zemenov 1928-1936 Archpriest John Kowalchuk 1936-1968 Bishop Joasaph (Antoniuk) 1968-1969 Priest Andrew Harrison 1969-1970 Archpriest John Wasel 1971-1974 Archpriest Michael Andruchow 1974-1975 Archpriest John Borcha 1975-1976 Archpriest Vitaly Politylo 1876-1980 Archpriest Arseny Melnyk 1980-1983 Priest Elia Antoniuk 1983-1984 Archpriest Stephan Keaschuk 1985-1987 Priest Andrew Morbey 1987-1990 Priest Larry Reinheimer 1990-1994 Priest Evan Lowig 1994-2000 Archpriest Nikolai Nikolaev 2000-2016 Archimandrite Gerasim (Power) 2016-2018 Priest Kolin Berglund 2018-2025 Igumen Vladimir (Lysak) 2025-
Parish particular details
This parish is a part of the Deanery of Alberta & Northwest Territories, of the Archdiocese of Canada, of The Orthodox Church in America. The bishop is Archbishop Irénée (Rochon).
This parish follows the Old (Julian) Calendar.
The Altar Feast-day of this parish is the summer Feast of Saint Nicholas, 9/22 May.
In 2025, the pastor of the parish is Igumen Vladimir (Lysack).
Address :
Saint Nicholas Russo Orthodox Church
NE 1/4 9-57-14-W4 Desjarlais
Two Hills County, Alberta
E-mail : melkuprowsky250@gmail.com
Directions :
Desjarlais is a small community which is located 115 km (72 mi) northeast of Edmonton.
From Edmonton, drive on Highway #16 East until Mundare. At Mundare, turn left (north) on Highway #855. Continue on this highway until Highway #29. Turn right, and drive eastwards to Highway #857. Turn left (north) and drive to Highway #45. Drive North from Willingdon on Secondary Highway #857 for 9.7 km (6 mi) to Township Road 572, then east for 6.5 km (4 mi) to Range Road 144, then south 1 km (1/2 mi).
Consult the priest for specific information.
Telephone : 306-794-4443
E-mail : priestmonk@gmail.com
Saint Nicholas Temple (photo by www.aerophoto.ru)
References
Bugea, Eleanor, “Romanians in Canada” (Michigan : Romanian Orthodox Episcopate of America, 2009). ISBN : 978-1-929200-14-6.
"Patriarchal Parishes of the Russian Orthodox Church in Canada, 100 Years of Orthodoxy in Canada 1897-1997 : Pictorial Memories" (Edmonton : Patriarchal Parishes of the Moscow Patriarchate in Canada, 1997).
Willingdon History Book Committee, “Early Foundations : Willingdon and Area History” (Edmonton, AB : Willingdon History Book Committee, 1990), ISBN : ISBN 10: 0889259410 ISBN 13: 9780889259416.
"90th Anniversary St. Nicholas Orthodox Church of Desjarlais, Alberta 1917-2007" (Desjarlais : Saint Nicholas Church, 2007). 90th Anniversary folder, 2007.
Additional information :
Archbishop Alexander (Nemolovsky)
Archbishop Evdokim (Meschersky)
Archbishop Joasaph (Skorodumov)
Metropolitan Platon (Rozhdestvensky)
Metropolitan Theophilus (Pashkovsky)
Metropolitan Leonty (Turkevich)
Metropolitan Theodosius (Lazor)
Metropolitan Jonah (Pauffhausen)
Metropolitan Nikolai (Shkrumko)
Metropolitan Kliment (Kapalin)
Archpriest Michael P Andruchow
Orthodoxwiki article about the Archdiocese of Canada
Archdiocese of Canada Facebook
Orthodoxwiki article about The Orthodox Church in America
Findagrave reference to the St Nicholas Russo Orthodox Cemetery
Pioneer Churches on the Prairies — St Nicholas Orthodox Church, Desjarlais, Alberta
Canadian Encyclopaedia article about Romanian Canadians
General information about Romanians in Canada
Archdiocese article : 100th Anniversary Celebration at Saint Nicholas, Desjarlais, Alberta (11 June 2017)
‘St Tikhon Orthodox Christian Mission, Lakeland AB’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger” (July, 1993), pp. 3-4.


