Boian AB Romanian Orthodox Church and Cemetery of Saint Mary 1901
Boian, Alberta, Romanian Orthodox Church and Cemetery of Saint Mary, 1901
This parish is known more correctly and precisely as "The Romanian Orthodox Church of the Nativity of the Theotokos".
Prehistory
The first identified and recorded Romanians who came to Canada settled in Saskatchewan from 1896 to 1900. The first settlers arrived in Alberta from Boian, Bucovina (then in Romania, now in Ukraine) in early 1898. By this time, immigrants from various Russian- and Ukrainian-speaking areas of Galicia had already been arriving for several years.
The Boian area in Alberta is rich in grass, lakes, creeks, and forests. All these resources are excellent for making houses, for providing fuel for fires, for growing grain and for raising livestock.
This was what people were told by the land and railway agents from Canada, who did their promotional work well. These agents had travelled through the Austro-Hungarian Empire and visited Cernăuţi (Chernovtsi or Chernivtsi), where they had painted glowing word-pictures of the New World. Word of this had filtered out to the villages, including Boian. However, as the inhabitants began discussing the disadvantages and advantages of making such a major move, inaccurate rumours already circulated. Some said that the dogs ran around with bread rings on their tails, and that the walnuts were so large that they could be pitched into the hayloft by the forkful.
Beginning of emigration
Ichim Yurko and Elie Ravliuk were very much attracted to this new land, because it was reported to be quite similar to their homeland in Bucovina.
The Romanian families who arrived from Boian, Bucovina, prior to 1900 and who formed the nucleus of the settlement of Boian, Alberta, were of these family names (alphabetically) :
Cozub ; Cuchurean ; Feica ; Gorda ; Harasym ; Hauca ; Hutzcal ; Iftodi ; Isac ; Kelba ; Matei ; Mihalchan ; Moscoliuc ; Murariu ; Petruniuk ; Porozni ; Ravliuk ; Romanko ; Soprovici ; Surca ; Svecla ; Toma ; Yurko ; Zaharichuk.
The spellings in English of these family names can vary considerably.
Places of Romanian settlement in central Alberta
These first families were soon joined by other Romanian families, and by January, 1901, approximately 100 Romanian families had settled in the region around Boian. Smaller groups of Romanian settlers established themselves in other nearby rural areas of Alberta (some of them north of the North Saskatchewan River), such as Borowich, Desjarlais, Hamlin, Ispas, Malin, Midway, Shalka, Shepenge, Smoky Lake, Soda Lake and Zhoda. These places are primarily found now in Two Hills, Lamont, Smoky Lake and Bonnyville counties. In May, 1901, the Tomas arrived with a larger group including Metro Moscaliuc’s family.
These pioneers had taken along with them boxes, bags and trunks of what they could and what they thought they would need. Of course, they were all dressed in their native garb and women had blankets, tapestries, bolts of cloth, and vegetable seeds. The men brought sickles, scythes, axes and the few carpenters amongst them had their complete sets of tools. One of them had even brought a small wooden plough. Few, if any, had money, and no-one spoke English. However, they had courage, most were young, and they were doggedly determined to succeed in this new environment.
Boian settlement
The foremost group of people who had migrated to this region of Canada called the area of their settlement “Boian”, after the village in Bucovina, Romania, from whence they had come. They certainly spoke the Romanian language, and in many instances they could also speak Ukrainian, since in this part of the province there were many Ukrainian-speakers. Some could also speak German, simply because Moldavia was at that time a part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Many of these new-arrivals were peasants, of whom very few had had any schooling. Almost all of them were, however, of the Orthodox Christian Faith. Although most of those who arrived came from the village of Boian or the region nearby, some came from Molodia, which is southeast of Chernovtsi (Cernăuţi), and on the south side of the Prut River.
Boian settlers
The very first Romanian settlers arrived in April, 1898, in east-central Alberta :
Ichim (Echim/Ioachim †1940) Yurko, his wife Iftinica (†1919), their 4-year old daughter Ioana (†1899), and Elie Ravliuk (Ilie †1942). Elie later change the spelling of his name to Rawlake.
Elie Ravliuk’s wife Elena arrived later, after which they had 3 daughters and 1 son before they moved to Saskatchewan.
After their arrival, Ichim and his family and Elie spent the first winter in a “bordei” (which is a covered dug-out, perhaps equivalent to a “soddy”), near the present-day Andrew. It was clear by now also that the dissimilarities were greater than the similarities with their homeland. They then moved to the Shalka district (north of Hairy Hill). During the first winter their only daughter Ioana died of unknown causes (probably pneumonia and malnutrition). They built a better house at Shalka and they continued living there. Like most early homes, they had a "cuptor" (a large clay oven) in the house where Iftinca did the baking and cooking. At night, the cuptor served as a bed.
Despite all the difficulties they endured, in their letters to relatives in Boian, Bucovina, Messrs. Yurko and Ravliuk encouraged their former townsmen to join them in this productive area later to be named Alberta.
More newcomers
Subsequently, some 30 Bucovinian Romanian families organised themselves for the journey to Canada, although they did not all do so at the same time. In the spring of 1899, 2 groups of Romanian immigrants packed their belongings, and they travelled by cart to the railway at Cernăuți (Chernivtsi). They went by train to Hamburg, Germany, and then by boat to Halifax, Nova Scotia. After that, they travelled for many days by railway to Edmonton. After their major stop in Winnipeg, Manitoba, they continued on to Calgary (at that time in the North-West Territories). They then changed trains, and they travelled northwards to the Strathcona station on the south side of the North Saskatchewan River. This was the end of the railway line from Calgary. At that time, Strathcona was a distinct settlement, across from Edmonton on the north side of the river. It was named after Lord Strathcona.
In Strathcona, they hired teams of horses and wagons, and they journeyed northeastwards from Edmonton to the lands on which they made their new homes. This journey from the Strathcona station was one of at least 130 km (81 mi). At that time, this journey with horses, wagons and baggage could take many days, especially since some of the migrants had to walk because of the baggage. Because of the location, it was not necessary to cross the North Saskatchewan River to reach their place of settlement.
The first to arrive, in April, 1898 were :
Mr. Constantine Iftody, and his wife Mary and family (from Molodia in Bucovina) ; Mr. Ioan Iftodi, and his wife and family (from Molodia in Bucovina) ; Mr. Nick Iftodi, and his wife Sanda Strimbul and family (from Molodia in Bucovina).
The following arrived in March, 1899 :
Mr. Petre Cucheran ; Mr. Petre Esak and his wife Domnica ; Mr. Nicolai Falca and his wife Ioana ; Mr. Dumitro Fieca and his wife Anita ; Mr. Kostantine Harabagiu ; Mr. Nicolai Hutzcal ; Mr. Toder Kelba ; Mr. Dumitru Moscaliuc and his wife Sanda ; Mr. Ioan Semeniuk and his wife Domnica ; Mr. Kostantine Soprovich and his wife Sanfira ; Mr. Ioan W Toma and his wife Veronica.
The following names of persons arrived in May, 1899 :
Mr. Petre Bizovie ; Mr. Ioan Cucheran and his wife Mariuta ; Mr. Vasili Gorda and his wife Domnica ; Mr. Petre Harasim and his wife ; Mr. Vasili Harasim and his wife Maria and family ; Mr. Nicolai Hauca and his wife Domnica, and Dumitru ; Mr. Petre Hutzcal and his wife Rafira ; Mr. Nicolai Kebla and his wife Domnica and son Ioan ; Mr. George Mehalcheon and his wife Maria ; Mr. Zaharia Mehalcheon and his wife Domnica and family ; Mr. Ioan Patreniuk and his wife Alexandra ; Mr. Condra Scira ; Mr. Stefan Scrimbets ; Messrs. Dumitru, Nicolai, Mihai Serbu ; Mr. Ioan Serbu and his wife Anita ; Mr. Sava Serbu and his wife Maria ; Mr. Vasile Svecla and his wife Sanda ; Mr. George T Toma, single ; Mr. Ioan T Toma and his wife Domnica ; Mr. Toder A Toma and his wife Sanda ; Mr. Vasili T Toma ; Mr. Mihai Yurko and his wife Maria ; Mr. Nazar Yurko and his wife Ksenia.
As was the case with very many other people, the spelling of names is very inconsistent in English in Canada. The spelling of a Romanian name can become quite distorted when it is spelt phonetically by an immigration agent or a census-taker. Thus, for instance, the name “Iftodi” can sometimes become “Efftoddo”.
Establishment of homesteads
Upon arrival, the newcomers were required to clear land in order to begin farming. At the beginning, in order to feed themselves, they gathered berries and duck eggs ; they hunted for game, and they traded with the local indigenous people (mostly Cree people in the Boian area). As was the case in the Shell Valley and Lennard regions of Manitoba, the Ukrainian-speaking and Romanian-speaking people supported each other. This was natural, since in their homeland they had lived together in a similar manner.
They named the area in which they settled Boian, after their home-town Boian (also written “Boiany”) in Bucovina. The site of this village of Boian is 6.5 km (4 mi) east of Willingdon, a settlement situated 117 km (73 mi) northeast from Edmonton. In those days, the whole of what are now Alberta and Saskatchewan was in the North-West Territories.
Foundation of the parish, 1901
As was reported by the Archpriest Mircea Panciuk, by 1901, the small group of new settlers had chosen the Boian Hill as the site of their spiritual hearth, the Temple. The hill and surrounding area reminded them of their beloved homeland and the hill was the right site for their Temple. This hill was part of 16.2 hectares (40 acres) of land donated by Vasile Romanko in 1901. This land is legally described as subdivision 13 : NW 1/4 sec. 10, 56, 14 W. 4th. The initial meeting was held in the home of Mitru Moscaluk in 1901.
The first 3 trustees of the parish were Konstantin Kachuk, Ion T Toma and Mihai T Yurko.
Considerable correspondence took place between this group and Ottawa, Ontario (the government), with regard to securing the title for the land. Letters took a long time to reach their destination in either direction.
Although they were not trained in theology, they understood from their parents and grandparents that a Temple should be set on higher ground so as to be seen from afar and thus be a beacon for the faithful. The building of the Temple began in earnest. This Temple was built not from architectural plans but from the memory of those who had left their beloved village Temple in which they had been baptised and married, and from which they had set out on this journey to a new way of life. Thus, the Temple on the hill in Boian, Alberta is an exact replica of the Temple in Boian, Bucovina.
Holy Dormition Temple, Boian, Bucovina
Establishing the cemetery, 1901
The history of the beginning of the parish is not entirely clear. This is likely due to unrecorded and confusing events. For instance, it is reported that the first property had been acquired first by 3 men for the purpose of homesteading. However, since 2 persons fell asleep in the Lord in 1901, it was necessary quickly to set aside the portion of the donated land for the cemetery. In most places, a Temple is not far from the cemetery.
At the same time as the cemetery was organised out of necessity, the parish itself was also organised, and it was named for the Feast of the Nativity of the Mother of God.
Once the site of the Temple and the site of the cemetery were decided upon, Priest Jacob Korchinsky travelled there in order to bless the land. He was a priest of the so-called “Russian Mission”. At that time, he and his wife lived at Stary Wostok, although they very soon moved into Edmonton.
Building the Temple
Very large stones were hauled from neighbouring farms, in order to form a foundation for the Temple. Neighbors and parishioners helped cut down tamarack logs and hauled them to the banks of the North Saskatchewan River at Desjarlais where some French sawyers operated a sawmill, to square the logs. The logs were then hauled back to Boian approximately 10 km (6 mi) south. Ion, Dumitru, George and George Porozni Sr. were instrumental in hauling the prepared logs by wagon to the site.
Each man in the parish community was to donate $20.00 and to volunteer 20 days of labour towards the construction of the Temple. The chief carpenter was Elie Ravliuk, who was paid $200.00 for his work. The Temple was constructed in accordance with the design of a Temple in Boian, Romania, in accordance with their collective memory. A bell-house was constructed separately, to stand nearby the Temple.
Elie Ravliuk later sent Ion to buy 2 strong rods of iron to tie in the outside walls, to prevent them from caving in or bulging out. He could not find such rods in Edmonton or Calgary, after making 2 fruitless trips by wagon. Ion went the third time, and he found a blacksmith in Edmonton who had iron rods brought in from Winnipeg, Manitoba. Then they fit the rods to hold the church walls in place.
The Temple of the Nativity of the Mother of God (Saint Mary's) was completed in 1905. Soon, a priest was found who would bless it. It was sanctified by the Priest Mihailo (Michael) Ion Skibinsky (Ion Strembisk) from Wostok on 2 August, 1905. He was at that time caring for other parishes in the region.
Thereafter for a time, the parish was served by priests of the "Russian Mission" who had begun to serve other settlements of Orthodox Christians in the same region.
Parishioners near the beginning
Once the parish was established, the women of the parish organised themselves so as to provide food for those working, to provide food for parishioners after the conclusion of liturgical services, to provide food on festal and sacramental occasions, and to organise the beautification of the Temple.
Perseverance amidst difficulties
Unlike other Romanian settlers in North America, the Romanians of the Boian District constructed their homes and farm buildings in the peasant architectural styles of their Bucovinian homeland. They also used long poles with buckets attached to fetch water from their wells, and they used outdoor clay ovens.
The next group of immigrants to this area brought with them blankets, tapestries, bolts of cloth, vegetable and flower seeds, dried potato eyes for planting, sickles, scythes, axes and tools. One brought a small wooden plough. To work the land, at first, they worked with oxen ; later they used horses (once they were affordable).
Because they were homesteaders, and therefore subsistence farmers at the time, they had little money. To remedy the lack, many of the men travelled south for periods of time, where they worked in mines and on the construction of the railways.
Various names for the parish in its development
The parish was not registered as "Saint Mary's" from the beginning. In accordance with the incorporation of the Orthodox Church achieved by Bishop Tikhon (Belavin) in 1903, this property was registered in 1906 as the “Parish of St. Demetrius” and the owner was the Bishop of the Russo-Greek Catholic Orthodox Church. Of course, in this incorporation, while the bishop is the official owner and protector, the parishioners in fact were responsible for their parish property and buildings.
In 1909, without changing the dedication, it became legally the “Parish of Rouminish Greek Oriental Church of Soda Lake”. The owner was “His Majesty the King in the Right of the Province of Alberta”. It remained so for several decades afterwards.
Establishing a school, 1908
The pioneers valued education, and they were concerned that their children be properly educated. A school in the district was founded in 1908. On the first school board were George T Toma, Vasile Romanko and Nazar Yurko. The school site they chose was on Vasile Toma’s quarter section. As with most public schools at the time, the use of Romanian was forbidden on the school grounds ; but the children continued to use it elsewhere. The few Ukrainian children in the area, by necessity, were forced to learn Romanian in order to communicate with the rest of the children. This school was expanded in 1917, and again in 1927.
On 29 May, 1908, Archimandrite Benedict (Ilieascu) visited Boian, after which he wrote to Metropolitan Partiniu (Clinceni) of Cernăuţi in Bucovina. He asked that a Romanian-speaking priest be sent. This did not occur.
However, between 1904 and 1912, the community faced economic and other difficulties, the result of which was that the community’s official registration changed several times, along with the name. Part of the source of the difficulty is that, although some people in the Province of Bucovina could understand both Romanian and “Little Russian” (not identical with modern Ukrainian), many understood only one or the other language. This would include the priests who were available to serve, since only a very few of these were able to speak Romanian, and they tended to serve in Slavonic. In addition, in contrast with their Slav neighbours, Romanians have been and are accustomed to being able to understand the language of worship.
Women of Saint Mary's with their priest
In 1911, there was a difference of opinion about the language of worship and the relationship with Romania. This concern arose because of a great lack of Romanian-speaking priests in the area, and the fact that the priests who were available to serve and to help in Boian spoke mostly Russian or some form of Ukrainian.
Establishment of Saint Mary Church, Hairy Hill, 1911
The controversy about language resulted in the establishment of another parish 8 km (5 mi) to the south, at Hairy Hill, also named “Saint Mary’s”. It began to be served several years later by Romanian clergy under Romanian bishops in Romania. Several other small Temples (or chapels) were constructed near Boian, in which the Faithful could use the Romanian language. Even without a priest, they could gather and pray and worship together in the Temple which was nearby their farms, and use the format of a reader’s service.
Meanwhile, in 1918, the Temple in Boian was covered with wooden siding.
Tax difficulty and rescue, 1924
Then, in 1924, payment of taxes was somehow neglected, and in 1924, the Municipality of Eagle took the property for taxes. It was rescued by Father Alexander Piza from Saint Mary’s Church, Shandro, who paid the taxes and re-registered the property.
It may be kept in mind that the "Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church of North America" (to which this community still belonged) was at that time in the midst of disturbance and disorganisation in the wake of the 1917 Bolshevik communist revolution in Russia. This almost completely severed communications with the Church in North America, and it completely severed any financial support.
Arrival of Bishop Polycarp (Moruşca)
From the 1930s, the parish was served by Romanian Orthodox clergy, and it was visited by North American hierarchs who were members of the Romanian Orthodox Church and of the Romanian Orthodox Synod of Bishops in Romania. Bishop Polycarp (Moruşca) (1935-1939) was the first such bishop to visit from the USA.
Priest Vasilie Cohan ; formal establishment of the Sisterhood
The Priest Vasile Cohan served the parish from 1933-1937.
On 23 May, 1936, there was convened an extra ordinary meeting of the sisters of the Boian parish. They assembled in the local school to organise a ladies' club. Father Cohan chaired the meeting. The meeting began, as usual, with the hymn “O Heavenly King”, and Father Vasile explained about why it was important that the women of the community unite and organise so that they could set a clearer example for their children in their Orthodox Christian upbringing and formation. He further stressed the importance of the women in supporting the parish council in the maintenance and general life of the parish. The women elected an executive, and they decided to be called “The Sisters of the Orthodox Church of Boian”.
After the transfer of Father Cohan to another community, the parish was without a priest for a year, although it is noted to have had 60 members and 137 families in the area, with a total of 663 souls.
Priest Vaslie Cohan and Preoteasa
The Priest Gregoriu Costea served the parish from 1939-1940.
At this time, the “Saint Dumitru” Ladies’ Auxiliary had 30 members. The church choir chose the name “Dulce Romania” and the youth group chose the name “Fiii Romaniei”. There was also an interval of 2 years without a resident priest.
The Priest Teodosie Scaeltschi (later changed to Scala) served the parish in 1942. At this time, there was a choir and a youth group, and 58 young people were serving in the army.
The Priest Daniel Maxim and the Priest Elie Balica served the parish in 1943.
The Priest Vasile Toma then served the parish from 1944 to 1962. In 1945, the name of the Temple was officially registered as “St. Mary’s Roumanian Orthodox Parish of Boian, Alberta”. In 1948, there were repairs and improvements made to the Temple. Stucco replaced the wooden siding, and the entrance was somewhat modified. The roof was repaired, and the belfry was rebuilt. The stone foundation was covered with concrete.
In 1945, the parish was officially re-registered as Saint Mary’s Church.
Other priests also served at the same time. They include the Priests Onofreiu Iwaniuk, Vasile (Victor) Melniciuc, Stephen Feica, Alexander Zaba, Dumitru Diaconescu.
Saint Mary's Women's Auxiliary with Priest Vasile Melniciuc
Archpriest Mircea Panciuk, 1972
Since 1972, the Archpriest Mircea Panciuk (also spelt Panciuc) has been serving this community in one or another capacity.
During these years, the following bishops visited Boian : Bishop Andrei (Moldovan) (1952-1963) ; Archbishop Victorin (Ursache) (1965-2001), who visited many times ; Archbishop Nicolae (Condrea) (2001-____).
Once it was clarified that this community belonged to the Romanian Patriarchate, the nearby parish of Saint Mary’s, Hairy Hill was reunited with this one, and they continued on as one community with 2 Temples and cemeteries.
Description of the historical site
Saint Mary’s Church is now an official Provincial Historical Site, and the following words in the next 4 paragraphs are taken from a published description of the building.
Saint Mary’s Romanian Orthodox Church of Boian is a typical rural vernacular building, built between 1903 and 1905. The Temple is a log structure covered with siding, and it is located on a property of 14.8 hectares in a rural setting approximately 9.7 kilometres east of Willingdon, in Central Alberta. The heritage value of the Saint Mary’s Roumanian Orthodox Church of Boian lies in its association with the Romanian settlement in the Willingdon-Hairy Hill district at the turn of the twentieth century. It is also a good example of the vernacular Orthodox Church architecture found in the prairie west. The first substantial Romanian community to establish itself in western Canada arrived in the Boian area in 1898, as part of the wave of European immigration flooding the prairie west at the turn of the twentieth century. Constructed by the settlers, the Temple has been used continuously since 1905 for regular services, christenings, funerals and weddings of the Romanian people. It is one of the oldest Romanian Orthodox churches still in use in North America. Interesting architectural features include the belfry, cupola, fanlight window, and the Altar and sacristy contained in the east elevation. The pioneer log construction was covered with wood siding in 1918, and with stucco in 1948. It is one of a number of Eastern European churches in the region, and contributes to the cultural landscape.
Saint Mary’s Cemetery, 1901
The cemetery is found near the Temple, at NW10-56-14-W4, at Township Road #562 and Range Road #143.
The cemetery was established before the Temple of the Dormition was constructed, and the land was blessed by the Priest Jakob Korchinsky who lived in Edmonton.
Cemetery, Temple, Bell-house in winter
Parishes affiliated with Saint Mary’s parish are :
Nativity of the Theotokos (Saint Mary’s), Hairy Hill ; Holy Ghost Romanian Orthodox Church, Hamlin ; Exaltation of the Holy Cross, Shepenitz-Malin ; Descent of the Holy Ghost, Manning-Peace River ; Descent of the Holy Ghost, Pierceland, Saskatchewan.
Saint Mary's Church, Boian, declared a Provincial Historical Site, 1978
On 23 July, 1978, the Province of Alberta acted and declared that Saint Mary's Romanian Orthodox Church and Cemetery in Boian was now an official historical site.
Not long after this designation, some major repairs were necessary, since the age of the building and some mistakes in maintenance were by then demanding attention.
In 1987, 2 grants were projected for the work – one for $22,000 (FoundationCalgary) and one for $15,000 (Dept. of Culture, Edmonton) were the last offers. Furthermore, the project had to be completed that year (1987), according to Rino Basso, the Department official. The project was begun in early October by W. & R. Foundation Specialists Ltd. for $54,380. The parish share to this point was $13,464 and 470 hours of menial labour. It became necessary in early 1988 to apply for grants to replace the stucco with cedar siding (to return the building to its original appearance). The enclosure to the foundation was completed with field stone in 1988.
In early 2020, the Covid-19 virus made its appearance in Canada, and it quickly became a world-wide pandemic. Because of the rules governing gatherings that were laid down by the provincial and city governments, the cathedral stopped any further services after 8 March, 2020. Including the rules regarding social distancing, the decreasing numbers permitted for any gathering, and the considerations regarding the health of all concerned, this and other parishes were required to close for a time.
As elsewhere, there was some controversy about the legal requirements.
Archpastoral visitation, 2022
On 14-23 May, 2022, Bishop Ioan-Casian (Tunaru) made an archpastoral visitation to some communities in Alberta. This visit included the historic parishes of the Edmonton area, and the newly-established Calgary Parish. He visited the parishes of Saint Mary, Boian ; Saints Constantine and Helen, Edmonton ; Holy Ghost, Hamlin ; Exaltation of the Holy Cross, Shepenitz (Malin) ; Saint Mary, Hairy Hill ; Saint Andrew, Calgary ; Holy Trinity, Calgary.
On Tuesday, 17 May, the hierarch together with Father George Bâzgan, diocesan-vicar and Father Mircea Panciuk, archpriest for Canada-West, went to the area of Boian village where the first Romanians who came at the end of 19th and early 20th century settled.
Lunch provided at the Boian hall
Bishop Ioan-Casian, priests, parishioners
The first church visited was the one in Mălin dedicated to the Exaltation of the Holy Cross. The parish celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2014.
Interior of Holy Cross Temple, Shepenitz
Following this visit, the bishop and his entourage travelled on to their next stop. This was to the parish of the Dormition of the Mother of God and Saint Dumitru at Boian. After prayers in the Temple, a lunch prepared by some of its members was served in the social hall. The good condition of the buildings was obvious, and it was clear that this community is still clearly understood to be the "mother" of all the other parishes in the region, including the one in Edmonton. After a visit to the Boian Romanian Museum, Bishop Ioan-Casian and the clergy continued on to visit the Temple and Cemetery of the Descent of the Holy Spirit at Golden Creek/Hamlin.
Then Bishop Ioan-Casian and the clergy returned to Edmonton, and to prepare for the visits of the following day.
New priest for Boian, 2023
Since Archpriest Mircea Panciuk was already past the usual age of retirement, and since he had served actively already for 54 years, it was blessed by Bishop Iona-Casian that he could now retire from active service. Provisions were made for a successor.
Then, as announced on the Diocesan web-site, Priest Gheorghe Ioan Petrovan was ordained for the Boian parish by Bishop Ioan-Casian (Tunaru) in Edmonton, Alberta, on Sunday, 19 March, 2023, at the Temple of Saints Constantine and Helen.
Fire, 2023
On Tuesday evening, 6 June, 2023, to the consternation of all concerned, the Temple of the Nativity of the Theotokos at Boian was burnt almost completely.
Soon afterwards, Bishop Ioan-Casian (Tunaru) and the Romanian Canadian Diocese published a press-release about the catastrophe. Bishop Ioan-Casian commented in writing to the members of the diocese :
I learned a few minutes ago the sad news that the historic church of the Dormition of the Mother of God Parish in Boian (Willingdon), Alberta caught fire and burned completely in the evening of June 6, 2023. I will ask you to remember in prayer Rev. Fr. Mircea Panciuk, Rev. Fr. Gheorghe Petrovan and the community of Boian. Next weekend the farewell celebration for the retirement of Fr. Mircea Panciuk should have taken place and at the end of July the celebration of 125 years since the arrival of the first Romanians in Boian.
It was not determined for some time what the cause of the fire had been, but it was immediately determined by the parishioners that they would rebuild. They were not willing to be deprived of their spiritual home by this disaster. Their attitude was just as that of very many other Orthodox Christian spiritual families in this country who have had to live through similar spiritual disasters. Videos were shown about the work immediately undertaken in order to remove the burnt wood.
Immediately, the parishioners prepared themselves to worship outdoors for the foreseeable future.
Reconstruction begins, 2024
Immediately after the destruction of the original Temple, and with diocesan support, the parishioners determined that they would rebuild the Temple in accordance with the original plans.
The parish community was determined to stay together, and they launched a fundraiser towards the building of a new Temple. On 4 August, 2024, the ground-breaking service was held for the construction of the building.
Bishop Ioan-Casian (Tunaru) celebrated the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy at the site, and he was assisted by the Dean, Father Calin Mărincaș from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan ; Priest Gheorghe Petrovan (the parish priest) ; and Archpriest George Bâzgan from Edmonton, Alberta. This was followed by the blessing of the site where the new Temple was being built, the placement of the Holy Cross where the altar table will be, and the laying of the foundation stone.
Afterwards, a customary fellowship-meal was offered by the women of the parish in the hall.
Archpastoral visitation, 2025 : new activity
From 29 May to 2 June, 2025, Bishop Ioan-Casian (Tunaru) made an archpastoral visit to the Western Canada Deanery of the Romanian Canadian Diocese.
As reported by the Nun Ana (Bulgariu), the main purpose of this visit was to sanctify the site of the future Saint Metropolitan Dosoftei Centre (a diocesan metochion, and a religious, cultural, and mission centre). The title of the project is "New Generations, Same Roots".
The “New Generations, Same Roots” Project in Hairy Hill and in Boian
With this blessing, the new Saint Metropolitan Dosoftei Centre was, established on the territory of the Nativity of the Theotokos Parish.
Historically, in October, 1972, the Temple and the Cemetery at Hairy Hill were donated to Bishop Victorin (Ursache), and the Romanian Orthodox Missionary Diocese of America. The purpose of the donation was in view of the eventual foundation of a monastery, which might serve for the continuation of the Faith, and a testimony to the efforts and sacrifices made by the Romanian pioneers to preserve their spiritual and cultural identity in Canada.
However, the fulfilment of this hope took a long time because of the great lack of resources. Then, at the beginning of 2025, the Romanian Orthodox Diocese of Canada (established in 2016) took all necessary steps to take possession of the Temple and the land at Hairy Hill, the land on which the present project is intended to be carried out.
In this year, the Boian/Hairy Hill area, and the historic Saint Mary's Church, are points of reference for the approximately 84,000 Romanians living in Western Canada. They serve as an important link between Romanian traditions and the new life of Romanian immigrants in Canada.
However, the existing religious and cultural infrastructure in the region is limited ; and the phenomenon of cultural assimilation, and loss of identity is increasingly evident, especially among the younger generations. Thus, the need to create a place of pilgrimage, prayer, and reconnection with Romanian traditions was seen to be becoming increasingly urgent. The project to build the Saint Metropolitan Dosoftei Centre came as a response to this need. It will offer not only a place of worship, but also an opportunity to preserve Romanian identity in an increasingly globalised and diverse social environment.
The realisation of this project began to take shape in the year which remembers 1700 years since the First Ecumenical Council (325); 140 years of autocephaly of the Church of Romania (1865), and 100 years since the elevation of the Romanian Orthodox Church to the rank of Patriarchate (1925).
Second Archpastoral Visitation, July, 2005
Word and Deed United with Prayer at Hairy Hill and Boian
Monday, 13 July, Tuesday, 14 July, and Wednesday, 15 July, were days of joy, spiritual effort, and concrete work in the historic area of the first Romanian settlers in the Hairy Hill/Boian region.
These days are part of a new initiative of the Romanian Orthodox Diocese of Canada to develop the project New Generations, Same Roots, which aims to strengthen religious, spiritual, cultural, and community ties among Romanians in Alberta and Western Canada.
An important step in the realisation of this project is the establishment of the “Saint Metropolitan Dosoftei Centre” – a missionary, educational, and cultural centre meant to support religious and liturgical, cultural, and historical activities for everyone, but especially for youth and the new generations.
The Centre aims to play a vital role in ensuring the continuity of Romanian Orthodox life and in preserving the spiritual and historical heritage of the Boia/Hairy Hill area, a region with special significance in the history of the Romanian community in Canada.
During these 3 days, the local community was blessed by the presence of Bishop Ioan Casian (Tunaru), Romanian Orthodox Bishop of Canada ; Father Petre Busuioc (Oshawa) ; and Father Lucian Azoiței (Mississauga). With the financial support of priests, parishes, and monasteries from the Toronto area, the 3, along with other local volunteers, took part in the effort to clear and prepare the land for the future project.
In addition to the 3 clergymen, the following also took part logistically and practically in the activities : Gerry Hill, and Bob Dushenski, who generously provided the necessary equipment ; Doug Shapka, who transported the equipment ; Andrei, who helped with all the tasks ; Jackie Toma, who contributed with enthusiasm and valuable knowledge. Georgina Porozni, and Darline Shelemey also joined the initiative by helping with meal preparation. Father Călin Marincaș (dean), and Preoteasa Simona Marincaș prepared in advance all that was needed for the smooth organisation of the entire action. Several members of the Hairy Hill/Boian community also stopped by and showed interest in the future project.
On Wednesday evening, Bishop Ioan Casian, Fathers Petre Busuioc, and Lucian Azoiței, joined by Father Gheorghe Petrovan, celebrated the Holy Unction (Sacrament of Anointing) at the Dormition of the Mother of God Parish in Boian. Members of the community from the area, and from the city of Edmonton, attended the special prayer for the sick.
Over the course of the 3 days, those who visited the site learned more about the project and were encouraged to stay involved and, to the extent possible, to participate in the next stages of its development.
Particular parish details
This parish belongs to the Romanian Orthodox Diocese of Canada, of the Romanian Orthodox Metropolis of the Americas, of the Romanian Orthodox Church. The bishop is Bishop Ioan-Casian (Tunaru).
This parish follows the New (Revised Julian) Calendar.
The Altar Feast-day of this parish is the Feast of the Nativity of the Theotokos, 8 September.
In 2025, the pastor of the parish is the Priest Gheorghe Ioan Petrovan.
Address :
Romanian Orthodox Church of Saint Mary
NW10-56-14-W4 (in Two Hills County)
at Township Road #562 and Range Road #143
Boian (northeast of Willingdon), Alberta
T0B 4R0
Telephone : 780-456-7737
Web-site : https://www.boianchurch.ca/
Directions :
Saint Mary’s Church is found in the County of Two Hills, northeast of Vegreville, Alberta, and about 135 km (77 mi) northeast of Edmonton.
Follow Highway #29 eastwards of Lamont. Turn right at the junction of Highway #29 and Highway #45. At Range Road #143, turn left and drive north. The Temple is to the right, after Township Road #561 and before Township Road #562.
From Willingdon, drive eastwards on Township Road #562 until Range Road #143. Turn right. The Temple is on the left. Otherwise, drive southeast from Willingdon on Highway #45 and after the junction with Highway #29, turn left on Range Road #143 and drive north. The Temple is to the right, after Township Road 561 and before Township Road #562.
The mailing address for the Romanian Orthodox Church and Cemetery of Saint Mary is in care of Saints Constantine and Helen Cathedral in Edmonton, Alberta :
Saints Constantine and Helen Romanian Orthodox Church
9005-132 Avenue NW
Edmonton, Alberta
T5E 0Y1
Telephone : (587) 337-6228
Cantor : Andy Lutic
Box 755
Two Hills, Alberta
T0B 4K0
Telephone : 780-657-2037
References
Alexandrov, V. “Journey to Canada : A Priest’s Diary”
Bugea, Eleanor, “Romanians in Canada” (Michigan : Romanian Orthodox Episcopate of America, 2009), pp. 17-18, 111-112. ISBN : 978-1-929200-14-6.
Canadian Romanian Society of Alberta, “Romanians in Alberta 1898-1998” (Edmonton : Canadian Romanian Society of Alberta, 1998). © 1998 by Canadian Romanian Society of Alberta.
Lutic, Les, Wichert, Gail, ed., “Prairie Pioneers – The Romanians – Parts 1-4” (Boian, Alberta).
“The Russian Mission in North America”
Tarasar, Constance J, ed., “Orthodox America 1794-1976 : Development of The Orthodox Church in America” (Syosset, NY : The Orthodox Church in America Department of History and Archives, 1975). ASIN : B000ZLZAUE.
Toma, Michael G, “Never far from Eagle Tail Hill” (Edmonton, AB : Michael G Toma, 1985).
Story of the Romanian Community of Boian, Alberta
Additional information :
Romanian Orthodox Diocese of Canada listing
Romanian Orthodox Diocese of Canada web-site
Orthodoxwiki article about the Romanian Orthodox Archdiocese in America and Canada
Orthodoxwiki article about the Church of Romania
Wikipedia article about the Romanian Orthodox Metropolis of the Americas
Patriarch (Saint) Tikhon (Belavin)
Metropolitan-Primate Conon (Arămescu-Donici)
Archbishop Platon (Rozhdestvensky)
Archbishop Evdokim (Meschersky)
Archbishop Alexander (Nemolovsky)
Metropolitan Nicolae (Condrea)
Archimandrite Benedict (Ilieascu)
Wikipedia article about Boian, Alberta
Alberta register of historical places
Findagrave listing for Saint Mary's Cemetery
Canadian Encyclopaedia article about Romanian Canadians
Establishing of the Romanian Orthodox Diocese of Canada
Canadian Encyclopaedia article about the Orthodox Church
Enthronement of the Romanian Orthodox Bishop of Canada, Bishop Ioan-Casian (Tunaru) (2017)
Two-day visit of Bishop Ioan-Casian (Tunaru) to historic parishes and the newest (parish) in the province of Alberta (24 May, 2022)
The Celebration of Archpriest Mircea 54 Years of Assistance and Retirement at Saint Barbara Cathedral (29 January, 2023)
Diocesan article about the Retirement of Archpriest Mircea Panciuk (21 March, 2023)
Pastoral Letter of Bishop Ioan-Casian (Tunaru) for the Feast of Pascha (12 April, 2023)
Sixth Anniversary of the Romanian Orthodox Diocese of Canada (2 May, 2023)
CTVNews :"'We will rebuild' : Fire destroys 118-year-old Orthodox church in eastern Alberta" (7 June, 2023)
Romanian Orthodox Diocese press-release : The fire in the historic Boian of Canada (8 June, 2023)
Fire destroys 118-Year-Old Wooden Romanian Orthodox Church in Canada (+Vedeo) Boian, Alberta, Canada (9 June, 2023)
Orthodchristian.com : "Rebuilding starts for Canadian Romanian parish after historic church fire" (5 September, 2024)
https://www.episcopia.ca/index.php/en/2193-a-brief-history-of-a-spiritual-initiative-the-new-generations-same-roots-project A Brief History of a Spiritual Initiative, the New Generations, Same Roots Project] (5 June, 2025)
Word and Deed United with Prayer at Hairy Hill and Boian (21 July, 2025)






















