Calgary AB Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church 1957
Calgary, Alberta, Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church, 1957
The Hellenic Orthodox Community of Calgary, 1957
Demetrios may be spelt Demetrius, Dimitrios, Dimitrius, Dmitriy, Dmitry.
(Amongst Greek speakers who try to “Anglicise” the name "Demetrios", it is often the case that “Jimmy” or perhaps “James” are substituted. This happens with persons, but not with regard to a parish or institution. The substitution can be misleading perhaps, but the Greek-speakers know clearly to whom they refer.)
Prehistory
In 1903, Athanassios Papadopoulos was the first Greek to arrive in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, from Tripolis, Arcadia, in Greece. He then returned to Greece in order to serve in the Greek Army during the Balkan wars of 1912-1913, as did 4 others. He was killed in the battle of Tjoumayia while fighting against the Bulgarians. Louis Georgopoulos also arrived in Calgary in 1903, and he likewise returned to Greece in order to serve in the same wars. He returned to Calgary after the end of the wars. A third man, simply known and remembered as “Yerontas” (elder, old man), arrived in 1903, and he then moved on to Edmonton.
Immigration by Greeks to Calgary continued steadily throughout the early 1900s. After arriving in Calgary, some moved on to settle in Drumheller, Edmonton, Jasper, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat and Vegreville. At that time, because of the nature of the railway system, Calgary was a major “first stop” for those who were immigrating to Alberta.
James (Demetrios) Condon, a successful businessman, is perhaps the best known amongst the early Greeks. He was an early benefactor of the community in Calgary, and it was for his “patron saint”, Saint Demetrios of Thessalonika, that Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church was eventually named.
About 90 persons immigrated and remained in Calgary before 1950, according to the writing of Nina Kolias. However, as she also writes, it took a long time before the population of Greek immigrants was considered to be concentrated or substantial enough to begin to make any substantial organisation.
Establishment of “AHEPA” in Calgary and Lethbridge, 1931
It was 1930 before the population of Greeks in Alberta opened the possibility for community organisation. The first such community was established in Edmonton. Then, on 19 November, 1931, the “Anglo-Hellenic Educational Progressive Association” (AHEPA) established the “Omirou Odyssea Chapter C J 11” in Calgary and Lethbridge. However, this and other such organisations were established at first on a cultural basis, rather than on the basis of a worshipping Orthodox Christian community.
For Orthodox worship, the people might visit the Russian Orthodox Church in Calgary (founded 1930), or travel to another place where a Greek Orthodox Church already existed, or they might invite a Greek Orthodox priest from elsewhere (often Montana, USA) to travel for special occasions.
The Hellenic Orthodox Community of Calgary, 1957
The Hellenic Orthodox Community of Calgary was established in 1957, with the aim of raising funds to build a Temple and a community hall. The first president of the community was Jimmie Condon, and the executive committee consisted of Paul Zarkos as vice-president, Michael Sfakianakis as secretary, and Theodore Zeis as treasurer. The volunteer committee for the construction of the Temple consisted, amongst others, of George and Stavro Melathopoulos, Nick and Gust Kolias and Gus Agioritis.
Founding and building the Temple, 1957
In 1957, Greeks in Calgary began organising towards the building of the church, and each “member” contributed $10 a month towards the building. Jimmy Condon, the first president of the community, secured the land in Spruce Cliff where the parish continues to thrive. Bricklayers Gus and Nick Kolias and carpenters, George and Stavros Melathopoulos, George Sfakianakis, and Peter Giannakos all donated their time and expertise to the building.
There are 4 bottles of “agiasmos” (blessed water), one in each corner of the foundation, placed by Maritsa Sainis, who later became one of the first chanters in the Temple. Volunteers worked for 3 years on evenings and weekends from April to September to build the Temple.
Priest Dimitrios Kavouras, 1957
Father Dimitrios Kavouras was the first priest of the parish. He was assigned to serve in 1957, just as the parish was being organised. He remained as the pastor until 1959, when the Temple was under construction, and just as the first Divine Liturgy was to be served there. Services were offered in improvised situations.
In October, 1959, Bishop Demetrios of Los Angeles performed the blessing of the new Temple (albeit not yet completed) and he served the first Divine Liturgy in the building.
Bishop Demetrios blessing the Temple before serving the first Divine Liturgy"
Original interior, alternate view
'Bishop's throne, Cantor stand and stalls
The Temple was named "Saint Demetrios" after Saint Demetrios of Thessalonica (who was Jimmy Condon’s patron saint).
Jimmy Condon and other council members
Jimmy Condon was the first president of the community, the first benefactor, and the driving force behind the building of the Temple.
The first wedding was solemnised on 21 August, 1959, between Nina Agioritis and Gus Kolias. The next day, the first double-wedding was solemnised between Tony Devetzis and Angeliki Panagakou, and between Christo Devetzakis and Anna Argiris.
Priest Panagiotis Macris, 1959
At the end of 1959, Priest Panagiotis (Peter) Macris was assigned to serve the parish, until he was transferred.
In 1959, there were 5 baptisms, 7 weddings and 1 funeral held in the Temple.
Priest Ambrose Giannoukos, 1961
In 1961, Priest Ambrose Giannoukos was assigned to serve the parish, until he was transferred the next year.
Priest Dimitrios Kavvouras, 1962
In 1962, Priest Dimitrios Kavvouras was assigned to serve the parish, until he was transferred the next year. During these 2 brief pastorates, several major developments occurred which were important for the future stability and development of the parish community.
Founding of the Philoptochos Society, 1962
On 9 December, 1962, Father Dimitrios Kavouras formed the Philoptochos Society. “Philoptochos” means “friends of the poor”, but not only in the sense of financial and material resources. The Philoptochos society also aids people who are poor in spirit, poor in health, poor in emotional stability, poor in companionship, and those poor in whatever is needed to lead a better life.
Founding of the Greek Orthodox Youth, Greek School, Sunday School
The GOYA (Greek Orthodox Youth of America), the Greek School, and Sunday School were established shortly after. Later, other groups were established. These included a Bible study ; a JOY (Junior Orthodox Youth) ; an Altar-servers' group ; a "MET" (Metropolis Youth) group.
Priest Pavlos Mihalidis, 1963
In 1963, Priest Pavlos Mihalidis was assigned to serve the parish, and he continued to help the development of the parish community for the next years.
Priest Konstantinos Kakavelakis, 1968
In 1968, Priest Konstantinos Kakavelakis was assigned to serve the parish. During the time of his pastorate, there were further steps forward in the organisation of parish life.
The Hellenic Society
“The Hellenic Society” was established in the late 1970s, and since then it has worked in concert with the Hellenic Community to maintain and preserve Hellenic culture in Calgary. Some of the society’s programmes include an accredited Hellenic Language School, and several other organisations for youth, adults and seniors in addition to hosting the highly-anticipated annual Greek Festival.
Priest Dimitrios Polychroniadis, 1976
In 1976, Father Konstantinos Kakavelakis was transferred away to serve in Ontario.
In that year, Priest Dimitrios Polychroniadis arrived to lead the flock of Christ's rational sheep in this parish.
Expansion of the Temple, 1978
In 1978, plans were drawn up to expand the Temple to its current size. On 26 October, 1979 (the Feast-day of Saint Demetrios) the official opening of the community centre took place. Interestingly, 3 of the 5 full-time priests who have served in this parish have been named Demetrios.
In 1994, Father Dimitrios Polychroniadis was transferred away.
Archpriest Demetrios Roughas, 1995
In 1995, Demetrios Roughas was transferred from Saint George's Greek Orthodox Parish in Edmonton, Alberta, and he was assigned to serve in the parish of Saint Demetrios in Calgary.
Father Demetrios served the parish until his retirement in 2014. Upon his retirement, Father Demetrios remained in Calgary.
Priest Panagiotis Roughas, 2014
In 2014, Priest Panagiotis Roughas followed his father as rector of the parish. He had recently graduated from the Greek Orthodox Theological Academy of Toronto. As is frequently the case, he was generally called "Peter" as a simplified Anglicisation of "Panagiotis". His baptismal name refers to the All-holy Mother of God.
In 2009, there were 50 baptisms, 14 weddings and 9 funerals served.
As of April, 2010, there had been a total of 661 weddings, 1,778 baptisms, and 251 funerals performed in the Temple.
Priest Thomas Sandberg, 2021
In 2021, Priest Thomas Sandberg was assigned to serve the parish of Saint Demetrios. Some details about Father Thomas and Presbytera Ashley are found here.
The rich, broad experience of Father Thomas is exemplified in his blog.
Clergy who have served the Parish of Saint Demetrios in Calgary : Priest Basil Apostolopoulos 1957-1959 Priest Panagiotis Macris 1959-1961 Priest Ambrose Giannoukos 1961-1962 Priest Dimitrios Kavvouras 1962-1963 Priest Pavlos Mihalidis 1963-1968 Priest Konstantinos Kakavelakis 1968-1976 Priest Dimitrios Polychroniadis 1976-1994 Priest Dimitrios Rougas 1995-2014 Priest Peter Rougas 2014-2021 Priest Thomas Sandberg 2021-____
The Greek Ladies’ Philoptochos Society, 1962
The parish web-site does not provide (in 2017) an article about the important work of the women of the parish. The following information, taken from the site of the Ottawa parish, explains their work.
As the name indicates, the “Philoptochos” (Greek for “Friends of the Poor”) is a women’s organization that practices Christian charity by helping those who need the spirit of fellowship and material assistance.
The North American “Philoptochos Society” began when small groups of women in several Greek communities throughout the USA joined together under the auspices of Archbishop Athenagoras (Spyrou), the Archbishop of North and South America. He was later to become Patriarch Athenagoras I (Spyrou), Oecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople.
The society’s main purpose is to aid the sick, the distressed, the aged, the orphaned and the destitute. Today, there are more than 450 chapters throughout North America and membership is over 35,000. Fifteen chapters are currently active in Canada.
Philoptochos chapters are part of every Greek Orthodox parish and each chapter structures its program to suit the needs of its particular community. However, although primarily concerned with church and community matters, many chapters extend their activities to works of local, national and international significance.
Amongst the many projects undertaken by the “Philoptochos” is a programme of support for Saint Basil’s Academy in Garrison, New York. Saint Basil’s was founded by Archbishop Athenagoras in 1944, while he was Archbishop of North and South America. He recognised the need for an educational institution which would preserve the Greek language and culture.
The academy’s work is philanthropic as well as educational and it provides both home and education for homeless children of Greek ancestry. Four new dormitories have been built at a cost of $105,000 each. “The Sisterhood”, a branch of the “Philoptochos” has pledged to endow one dormitory which will be dedicated to the Ladies’ Philoptochos Society.
Each January, the “Philoptochos” chapters across the continent hold an annual fair, the “Vassilopita”. The proceeds from the fair are donated to Saint Basil’s Academy, thereby giving community members the opportunity to support a worthwhile cause.
Acculturated, but not assimilated, the “Philoptochos”, despite a synthesis of customs, old and new, retains its Greek identity and nourishes its roots in the Greek Orthodox Church. It continually supports the use and teaching of the Greek language, and it endeavours to instil in the “diaspora” a pride in its Hellenic heritage.
The Greek School, 1963
The Hellenic Community School of Calgary was first established in 1963 in order to teach, preserve and promote the Greek language to children of Greek descent. Maintaining Hellenic language and culture is just as important to this community today as it was back then. Making sure that future generations know about the immense accomplishments and contributions that their ancestors made to the world at large is fundamental to creating pride in the Hellenic heritage. Building a connection to the Greek language, customs and community is what makes the Hellenic community grow. A key component of helping to build that connection is the Greek Community School.
The school offers classes for children from preschool to level 6, and Greek Language and Culture courses #15, #25, & #35 for students who want to advance their Greek language and obtain credits towards their high school matriculation.
Apart from language courses for children, Modern Greek language classes are offered for adults.
Niata Children’s Greek Dance Programme
“Niata” directly translated means “youth”. It was originally created both to teach the Greek traditional dances – such an important part of Greek culture and history – to the youth of the community, and to keep the youth connected to one another. Part of the youth club’s mandate is also to present the dances outside the Greek community, to share Hellenic culture with all Canadians. Niata is a volunteer-operated folk dance group operating under the Hellenic Society of Calgary. The programme is for children from 6-18 years of age. During its 26-year history, Niata members have performed at a variety of municipal and national events, including the 1988 Winter Olympics in Calgary. Its original students now have children of their own in the programme. It is one of the longest-running Hellenic children’s programs in Calgary.
In early 2020, the Covid-19 virus made its appearance in Canada, and it quickly became a world-wide pandemic. Because of the rules governing gatherings that were laid down by the provincial and city governments, the parish stopped any further services after 8 March, 2020. Including the rules regarding social distancing, the decreasing numbers permitted for any gathering, and the considerations regarding the health of all concerned, this and other parishes were required to close for a time.
As elsewhere, there was some controversy about the legal requirements.
Particular parish information
This parish is a part of the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Toronto (Canada).
This parish follows the New (Revised Julian) Calendar.
The Altar Feast-day of this parish is the Feast of Saint Demetrios of Thessalonika, 26 October.
In 2022, the rector of this parish is Priest Thomas Sandberg.
Saint Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church
1, Tamarac Crescent SW
Calgary, Alberta
T3C 3B7
Main Office telephone : 403-246–4553
Telephone : 403-249-8876
Fax : 403-242–2834
Fax : 403-246-8191
Community Hall : 403-246–4553
Greek Community School : 403-246-4553 extension #3
E-mail : admin@calgaryhellenic.com
Web-site : https://helleniccommunityofcalgary.wildapricot.org
Directions :
The Temple is located to the south of the Bow River in Calgary, to the north of the Bow Trail SW.
From the Sarcee Trail SW, exit to the east at the Bow Trail exit. Turn north at 37 Street SW. Turn right (east) at 7 Avenue SW and drive to Poplar Road SW. Turn left. The Temple is at the second Tamarac Crescent intersection.
From the Crowchild Trail SW, take the exit for the Bow Trail SW to the west. Follow this road until 37 Street SW. Turn right, and follow the remainder of the directions as previously given.
From Highway #201 or #2, take the exit for Highway #1A (17 Avenue SE) and drive west. Turn right onto 9 Avenue SE and continue westwards through the city centre. Continue until the junction with the Bow Trail SW, and turn left. Continue driving until 37 Street SW. Turn right, and follow the remainder of the directions previously given.
Calgary is accessible by road, principally Highway #1 (east-west), and Highway #2 (north-south).
It is accessible by various airlines through the Calgary International Aeroport.
It is accessible by interurban bus through various Alberta companies (Red Arrow ; Ebus ; Rider Express ; Poparide ; Cold Shot ; abestx.com, and others).
E-mail : FrThomasSandberg@icloud.com
Telephone : (403) 246-4553 ext 2
References
Kolias, Nina K, “The Greeks in Alberta : 1903-1995” (Calgary : Nina K Kolias, 1996). Copyright © 1996 Nina K Kolias. ISBN : 0-9681616-0-X.
Additional information :
Orthodoxwiki list of Alberta Orthodox parishes
Alberta Archives Society reference
Saint Demetrios of Thessalonika
Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Canada web-site
Wikipedia article about the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Canada
Orthodoxwiki article about the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of Canada
Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of North and South America
Archbishop Athenagoras (Spyrou)
Archbishop Sotirios (Athanassoulas)
Wikipedia article about Greek Canadians
Canadian Encylopaedia about Greek Canadians
Library and Archives Canada about Greek Canadians
Canada Greek Reporter : "History of Greek Immigration to Canada
Wikipedia article about Greek culture
Canadian Encyclopedia article about Calgary, Alberta
Please send your suggestions, additions, corrections or contributions to this address :
info@orthodoxcanada.ca





