Windsor ON Saint John the Divine Orthodox Church 1914

From Canadian Orthodox History Project
Jump to navigation Jump to search


SaintJohnWindsor2023 3.jpg

Windsor, Ontario, Church of Saint John the Divine, 1914


Prehistory

During the early years of the 20th century, the Orthodox Christian Faithful in the City of Windsor, Ontario, Canada, did not have their own Temple. This was a sizeable colony, comprised of Bessarabians, Bukovinians, Bulgarians, Byelorussians, Carpatho-Rusyns, Galicians, Greeks, Romanians, Russians, Serbians and Ukrainians.

The people were forced by circumstances to travel to Detroit, Michigan, USA, in order to find a parish to attend. Some could not cross the border very easily, and they would attend a French Roman Catholic church in Windsor. Otherwise, on some occasions, they would invite an Orthodox priest from another area to travel to Windsor, in order to fulfil their spiritual needs.

Founding the parish, 1914

In 1913, the Orthodox Christian Faithful formally began to organise their own Orthodox parish in Windsor. They began by forming the "Ford City Russian Society" through which to facilitate the organisation and incorporation of the parish.

A small group of Orthodox Christians gathered at a formative meeting. In 1914, they were able to collect enough money to purchase 2 lots at 1094, Drouillard Road, on the corner with Richmond Street. In this year, the Russian Society established the parish.

Construction of the Temple, 1916

In the summer of 1916, they began building the Temple in the name of Saint John the Divine (Evangelist), and they completed the entire project by December of the same year. The Temple was then blessed by the assigned priest, Father Joseph Shekaley. The parish was registered in 1917 under the jurisdiction of Bishop Evdokim (Meschersky), that is, the North American Diocese of the Russian Orthodox Mission. This was within the territory of the newly-established Diocese of Canada (1916) (headquartered in Winnipeg, Manitoba).


Saint John's original drawing, from south.png Saint John's original drawing, from west.png


One of the many priests who served the community in the early years was Archimandrite Peter (Zaychenko). The main reasons that this parish was served by so many priests (10 different priests between 1917 and 1921 is that their income was very low (neither the diocese nor the parish had good resources), and in the USA there were many more opportunities with higher pay. A priest still had to feed, clothe and house his family.

In 1924, in the wake of World War I and the communist revolution, many refugees from the former Russian Empire settled in Canada, and the parish grew in numbers and energy. Parish life was in full swing. They leased a building near the Temple to use as a social hall (parish hall), and they organised dances, banquets and concerts which brought in substantial revenue. They also organised an impressive library of books by distinguished Russian writers.

Controversy about the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada

Even though parish life was beginning to flourish, there arose for a time a sharp controversy with regard to the development of the "Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada" after 1918. Amongst the parishioners, there were supporters of this movement ; but Ukrainians as such were only one portion of the Faithful in the parish. Very many were of Romanian/Bucovinian origin, and of other national origins. Parishes that had developed in the "Russian Mission" very often embraced all Orthodox Christians without being so much concerned with national origin. This was, nevertheless, in the wake of the 1917 Russian Revolution, a time in which national concerns were rising, and often taking precedence over the Christian Faith.

In this context, a group of Ukrainian parishioners left the parish in 1927 in order to establish Saint Vladimir's Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Windsor.

Excavating the basement for the parish hall, 1929

Eventually, the parishioners understood that it would be much more economical to build their own hall. Therefore, the rector, Father Andrew Fedorchuk, along with parishioners and contractors, began to create a basement beneath the Temple. When the construction was completed, the parishioners began to use their new parish hall in 1929.


Saint John's parishioners excavate the basement for the hall.png Excavating for the basement


Father Fedorchuk and Fedor Buchovsky organised a choral group in the name of Saint Roman the Sweet-singer (Saint Romanos the Melodist). From this group, the rector chose singers for the parish choir.

He also formed a sisterhood in the name of the Dormition of the Holy Virgin Mary. They were responsible for the upkeep of the Temple, and handled the preparations for banquets and special events.

As in many other cities, other new Orthodox parishes began to be organised, which tended to reflect their more specific national and linguistic backgrounds. During these times, therefore, the parish of Saint John the Divine changed from being the single parish for all the Orthodox, to being only one of several parishes of various national backgrounds. Nevertheless, this parish was and remains the “Mother Church of Orthodoxy” in the City of Windsor.


SJDW BpArsenyVisit 2.jpg Visit of Bishop Arseny (Chahovtsov)


Controversy and division, 1933-1936

In 1933, a controversy arose as a consequence of pressure on the Russian Orthodox Church (ROC) by the Soviet State to bring under her control all the peoples who had organised themselves abroad in exile. The ROC had no choice in the matter. Metropolitan Platon (Rozhdestvensky), head of the "Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church in North America" (ROGCCNA), also called "Metropolia" (to which this parish of Saint John belonged) refused the demand.

At the same time, there arose a controversy (regarding the status of the North American Diocese) with the bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia (ROCOR). Metropolitan Platon and the other bishops of the North America Diocese withdrew from the ROCOR. Metropolitan Platon and the bishops with him declared the "Metropolia" to be a temporarily self-administering entity.

The sharp differences of opinion brought about a division in the parish, just as happened in some other places.

ROCOR or "Metropolia" ?

An attempt was made by a faction of the parishioners to force the parish into the ROCOR. The dispute about to whom the parish belonged involved 2 bishops (Bishop Arseny (Chahovtsov), Bishop of Winnipeg, and Bishop Joasaph (Skorodumov), Bishop of Edmonton, 2 priests (Archpriest Andrew Fedorchuk and Priest Alexander Znamensky), and 2 groups of parishioners.

Second Temple constructed, 1934

Already in 1934, a separate Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Church parish was established not many blocks away from this parish (at 1410, Drouillard Road). The dispute was taken to court, and it required a Supreme Court of Ontario decision in 1935 to clarify that the Temple and the parish corporation belonged to Bishop Arseny, Father Fedorchuk and the parishioners who were with them. Certain parishioners were dissatisfied with the decision and another attempt was made through finance. Father Andrew Fedorchuk had lent the necessary funds for the excavation of the basement to the parish. Some parishioners decided to pay him what was owed and to treat the amount as a private mortgage.

This matter went to court as well, and again the civil courts decided in favour of Father Fedorchuk and the parishioners with him. These matters were reported in the newspapers which became the "Windsor Star" (in March and November, 1935, and in March, 1936).

Mutual forgiveness

Despite these sharp differences, in time, the parishioners came to a mutual forgiveness, and neither parish history refers to any of the differences between them at that time. As a consequence of this difference, there came about a positive consequence : a second Temple was constructed, dedicated to the Most Holy Trinity. Thus, there came to be 2 parishes caring for Orthodox Christians, whose combined numbers became even greater.

In 1939, Metropolitan Theophilus (Pashkovsky) assigned the Priest Evgeny Serebrennikoff to the parish. He is best remembered as a good organiser, and by his obtaining a new charter for the parish. He also began the “Russian Day” picnics which boosted morale and helped financially.

Then, in 1940, Hieromonk Antoniy (Vasiliev) was assigned to serve at Saint John the Divine's Temple in Windsor.


New censer and marriage crowns.jpg Father Lukian Steciuk with new censer and marriage crowns

25 years : 1942

The year 1942 brought many celebrations during the parish’s 25th year.

On 1 February, 1942, Father Antoniy, Deacon Lukian, and many clergy of the area celebrated the Silver Anniversary. The Temple was filled with parishioners, friends, and invited guests, including the mayor of the City of Windsor (who helped to cut the cake). After the banquet, a concert was staged with music, dancing and recitations.

The second event of the anniversary was held on 9 October (26 September, new-style), which is the feast-day of Saint John the Divine on the Old (Julian) Calendar. At this time, enough money was pledged that all the outstanding debts were able to be paid off completely. It was indeed a day of celebration.

In 1943, Igumen Antoniy (Vasiliev), who had been elevated in 1940 to the dignity of igumen, was able to fulfil his transfer to the USA with the arrival of a visa to cross the border.


Saint John's hierarchical visit.png


Saint John's parish group.png Photos of the Temple, and parishioners

Fire, 1946 ; re-construction, 1949

In 1946, the Temple was severely damaged by fire. However, with no insurance, but with true Christian spirit, parishioners raised funds, organised working groups, and rebuilt the Temple with bricks. However, there was a sad pause in construction when one of the workers, a parishioner, fell from the scaffolding and died.

It was on 27 November, 1949, that the corner-stone of the new Temple of Saint John the Divine Church was blessed.


St John Reconstruction and repairS 1.jpg Reconstruction and repair


It is interesting to note that despite the many previous short terms of clergy in the parish, the Archpriest Lukian Steciuk served faithfully in the Temple from 1934 as a reader, from 1936 as a deacon, and from 1944 as the priest and rector until his repose in Christ in 1976, in Elkhorn, West Virginia. He was the last resident priest until 2007.

After this, several priests from Detroit served the parish from time to time. However, of these, Archpriest John Sviridov served the longest. He and Matushka Melania travelled from Detroit, Michigan, to serve the community.

Then, after 1987, Mitred Archpriest Basil Butchko served the parish until his retirement in about 2003. Matushka Anna led the singing during these years. Father Basil and Matushka Anna were attentive to the parish and the parishioners, but by this time, those who were able to attend regularly were fewer (because of age and illness). There were by then few young people.

Near-death and complete revival, 1988-2007

A resident priest could not be found for the parish for many years, and there were consequences. The priests who served did care about the parishioners ; but the lack of immediate access to them (usually because of the international border) made them in some ways remote from the Faithful.

The number of parishioners was shrinking steadily. The fabric of the Temple began to show the signs of neglect (because the financial resources were now small, and the parishioners too old to do the necessary work). The majority of the few who remained did, in effect, give up hope that the parish could recover. This sense of resignation only increased after 2003, with the departure of Father Butchko. After that, there was a series of very temporary clergy who served in the parish. In fact, for a time, the Temple was effectively (but not officially) closed.


Saint John Windsor 1997 1.png Interior of the Temple, 1997


The beginning of hope, 2005

Then, by the Mercy of God, in 2005, a group of Father Steciuk’s family members came to understand the situation, and they led the challenge to renovate the Temple and parish hall. They organised reader’s services when no priest was available ; they made sure that the responses were sung. At this time also, Father Steciuk's grandson Michael Boyar of Detroit was an energetic supporter of the project to revive and renew the parish.

Priest Constantine Katsilas, 2007

With the blessing of Archbishop Seraphim (Storheim), and by the kindness of Archbishop Nathaniel (Popp), the Deacon Constantine (Dean) Katsilas was ordained to the Holy Priesthood on 1 January, 2007, in order to serve the community and to help continue with its renewal. This was, indeed, the case thereafter. Attendance grew very noticeably, and both the Temple and hall were repaired and repainted.

The parish returned to being a living testimony to the Orthodox Christian Faith in one of the older parts of Windsor, once called "Ford City".


Saint John Windsor 2005 1.png Interior of the Temple, 2005


Repose of Subdeacon John R Reimer, 2014

On 21 November, 2014 (the Feast of the Entry of the Theotokos to the Temple), Subdeacon John (Ray) Reimer fell asleep in the Lord. He and his wife Peggy were 2 of the first 'new' parishioners in this parish when it was re-opened in 2007. Ray had been made a subdeacon in this parish with the blessing of (at that time) Archbishop Seraphim (Storheim). Ray served this parish with love in many, many capacities. From tending to the landscaping and growing grass in the muddy region of the yard behind the Altar, to directing the choir, to serving as a subdeacon in the Altar, he served this community faithfully.

100 years : 2015

In 2015, the parish celebrated its first 100 years of service and testimony to the Lord and the Orthodox Christian Faith in the City of Windsor. The community has never had an easy time, and this itself expresses the difficulties which Christians face daily in the fallen world. Nevertheless, the determined loving faithfulness to Christ which has consistently been demonstrated by the faithful parishioners has kept this beacon of the Orthodox Christian Faith shining in Windsor. This has been especially nurtured through its current pastor.

During that year, new flooring was installed in the Altar by several parishioners, and the the renewal of the iconostas was completed with the installation of new icons of a more traditional style.


Iconostas, iconographer 2.png Refreshed iconostas, new icons, Father Constantine and the iconographer


The centennial anniversary of the founding of the community of Saint John the Divine was marked on the weekend of 25-26 September, 2015. Archbishop Irénée (Rochon) of Ottawa and Canada presided at the celebration of Great Vespers on Friday evening and at the Divine Liturgy on Saturday morning. Concelebrating with him were Priest Constantine Katsilas, Rector ; Mitred Archpriest Anatoliy Melnyk of Montréal, Chancellor of the Archdiocese of Canada, who attended with his Matushka Iryna ; Deacon Nicolas P Svetlovsky of Saint Seraphim Church, Rawdon, Québec, and area clergy representing various jurisdictions.


St John the Divine Windsor.jpg Interior of the Temple from the loft, 2015


St John lower hall renewedS.jpg The lower hall refurbished, 2015


Photos of the centennial anniversary services

06-2015-100th-Anniversary-Vespers 2.png 04-2015-100th-Anniversary-Vespers 2.png

01-2015-100th-Anniversary-Service 2.png 07-2015-100th-Anniversary-Service 2.png

05-2015-100th-Anniversary-Procession 2.png

2017 : 10th anniversary of the renewal

1 January, 2017, marked the 10-year anniversary that the Temple re-opened under the leadership of Father Constantine. It was also on that day that he had been ordained to the Holy Priesthood.

On 8 January, 2017, the parish celebrated both anniversaries together.


Fr.-dean-10-yrs-jpeg 2.jpg Father Dean and Mother Pat


"Samaritan's Purse"

On 3 December, 2017, the parishioners of this parish continued with their annual project (since 2007) in assisting the "Samaritan's Purse" with the blessing of 87 boxed gifts for needy children elsewhere in the world. These shoe-boxes are filled with gift items for young boys and girls, many of which are brought in by the parishioners themselves. These boxes are then taken to Gethsemane Lutheran in Windsor. From there, they are shipped to Guelph, Ontario, from where they are sent in shipping containers to areas of the world where children have never received a Christmas present, and where children have not yet heard the life-changing news about Jesus Christ and the Resurrection.


2017 11 nov 12 01.jpg Father Constantine blessing the boxes


Saint John Windsor Nov 2018 2.png Parishioners with Archbishop Irénée (Rochon), November, 2018

Renovations progress

By this time, very many renovations and improvements to the structure of the Temple and its lower hall had progressed significantly. The iconostas had been repaired and improved. Then a further project of beautification was undertaken : mural iconography in the Altar of the Temple. The rector gave the following summary of his experience which was published on the archdiocesan web-site :

 When I first arrived at St. John the Divine in 2007, I felt as if I had walked into 
 a WW2 movie where the GIs were holed up in an abandoned, bombed-out church. The building 
 had been closed for several years.  The roof and dome had some severe leaks.  With the 
 freezing and thawing, plaster would fall and flake like snow.  The floor felt like a game 
 board with 8x8 floor tiles, lifting all over for the kids to toss about.  The cracks in 
 the walls were numerous and growing. 
 
 Given the cracks, drafty single pane windows, and a broken boiler, our heat bills were 
 $800 per month for our 1800 sq ft building ! Since the church was almost 100 years old, 
 I expected it to be full of icons.  To my surprise, there were very few.
 
 God’s presence was there, and new people joined.  Little by little, we grew and people 
 donated their time, talents and treasure.  Today, this church is once again a gem, a place 
 that is in the world, but certainly not of the world. 
 
 Our iconography project began in 2015, with many unexpected donations, earmarked to update 
 the icons of our iconostasis.  In 2019, we received some generous, unexpected donations 
 to complete the icon project, by adding iconography to the ceiling and altar area.  The pandemic 
 proved to work in our favour, as Gligor Stefanov, our iconographer from 'Artsome Studio for Icons', 
 was unable to travel beyond the Canadian border.  As we are a local client, our iconography project 
 moved up the list, and was completed on the last day of December, 2020.
 
 Our recent iconography project instills the feeling that we are a church family.  The first person 
 you see as you enter the nave is the Theotokos over the altar, greeting all with outstretched hands, 
 welcoming all to her Son, in the icon below where Jesus is offering Himself to us in Holy Communion.
 
 Our parish has been reborn and it is going forward.  We pray it will remain a church home, for generations to come.  


Apr Constantine Katsilas 1.jpg Archpriest Constantine Katsilas


On the last day of 2020, by the Grace of God, Gligor Stefanov, of Artsome Studio for Icons, completed the the project of the mural icons in the Holy Altar in the Temple. This completed the project, begun in 2015, when the icons of the parish's 100-year-old iconostasis were redone by Gligor.

Following are some photos of the iconography, as provided by the iconographer to the parish :


Saint John's High-Place and the Panatia 2.png High-place and the Panagia


Saint John's High Place Communion of Apostles 1.png High-place, Communion of the Apostles


Saint John's High Place Panagia 1.png The Panagia in the Apse

2020 : Coronavirus-19 closure of parishes

Because of the rules governing gatherings that were laid down by the provincial and city governments regarding the Covid-19 Pandemic, the parish stopped any further services after 8 March, 2020. Including the rules regarding social distancing, the decreasing numbers permitted for any gathering, the considerations regarding the health of all concerned, and the directions of Archbishop Irénée (Rochon) that the civilian rules be obeyed, this parish was unable to have any more of the usual services in the Temple until the lifting of the restrictions. These measures are similar to those that were taken in the past, in various parts of the Orthodox world, during the time of a plague.

Nevertheless, there were many differing opinions about the measures.

Resumption of the usual rhythm

Eventually, the legal restrictions were lifted, and during 2021, parish life began to return to "normal", both here and elsewhere.

Retirement

In 2023, Archpriest Constantine Katsilas submitted a petition about retirement from active service. Although the petition was not able to be granted immediately, Archbishop Irénée (Rochon) began the necessary preparations.

In 2024, Vladyka Irénée gave the blessing for the retirement. Father Constantine had served the parish for 16 years, and by the Grace of God, a great transformation had taken place during those years.

In July, 2024, there was a special gathering of thanksgiving and farewell for Father Constantine and Presbytera Patricia, and a photo was taken of the parishioners on this occasion.


SJDWOJuly2024 2.jpg Parishioners, 2024


Father Constantine and Presbytera Patricia moved to the USA, and to Montana, where they lived near their son and his family.

New Rector, 2024

Upon the retirement of Father Constantine Katsilas, Archbishop Irénée (Rochon) assigned the Archpriest John Ayoub to serve as the next rector of the parish.

Father John and his wife Presbytera Jamile had already been serving in the parish as assistant for many years, and he had been serving in other parishes in Canada for many years before that.

Parish organisations

Weekly Sunday School :

All children ages 3-12 are welcomed to the weekly Sunday school instruction. Immediately following the reception of Holy Communion, the children go to their sessions, which continue until 10 minutes into the coffee hour after the Divine Liturgy. Their participation makes a lifetime of difference to them.

 The Importance of Sunday School :
 'Let the children come to me, so not to hinder them; for to such belongs the Kingdom of God. Truly I say 
 to you, whoever does not receive the Kingdom of God like a child shall not enter it' (Mark 10:14-15).  
 
 Christian education is a permanent challenge to the work of the Church. Not only did our Lord and Saviour 
 continuously teach the word of God during His earthly mission, but the Church as well from the earliest 
 times looked upon Christian education as one of its essential ministries.  As the first Christians joined 
 the Church 'they devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and fellowship to the breaking of bread and 
 the prayers' (Acts 2:42). 
 
 The greatest gift, the most precious inheritance that we have to give to our children is our Orthodox 
 Faith.  Jesus makes it clear that He wants children to come to know Him, and that He considers it a grave 
 offence for an adult to hinder this process or lead a child astray : 'whoever causes one of these little 
 ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened round his 
 neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea' (Matthew 18:6). 
 
 The Central aim of Christian education in our Church is to evoke and nurture faith in Jesus Christ 
 according to the Orthodox 'phronema' (vision) out of which issues a genuine Orthodox way of life.  
 The Church nurtures a living awareness of the risen Christ in our midst, who is the true Celebrant of 
 Sacraments and the true Teacher of His people, and makes Himself known to us by the Grace of the 
 Holy Spirit.  The whole range of Orthodox educational material - books, filmstrips, visuals, Bible 
 Studies, lives of Saints, contemporary discussion of Christian values - becomes effective to the degree 
 that it communicates the love and Spirit of Christ. 
 
 The focus of our efforts to educate our beloved children in the Orthodox Christian Faith must remain in 
 our Sunday School program.  When we bring our children regularly to Sunday School, we provide them with a 
 gift of knowledge that has lifelong value and significance.  
 
 The need of Christian education is as immediate as when the disciples first appealed to Jesus : 'Teach us 
 to pray' (Luke 11:1).  
 
 Christian education is an essential and abiding ministry in the Church.  As other important ministries, 
 it is never finished.  It can be as vital and meaningful as the whole body of the Church makes it through 
 provision of adequate personal, spiritual and financial resources. 
 
 The validity of Christian education is demonstrated by the truth that a well-informed Christian is a 
 spiritually committed Christian within the greater body of the Church.  The commission of Christian 
 education comes from the Lord Himself : 'Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, teaching them to 
 observe all that I have commanded you, and lo I am with you always, to the close of the age' (Matthew 28:19-20). 
 
 At St. John the Divine, Sunday School begins immediately after Holy Communion.  Parents : Bring your 
 children to Sunday School.  Your personal example and involvement in the religious education of your 
 children are extremely important.  The priest and teachers cannot do the job alone. 

Saint John's Women's group :

The vision for the "Ladies of Saint John the Divine" begins with the desire to serve God by serving the Church and this local community in the areas of basic housekeeping, and the fulfilling of social and spiritual needs. It is their hope to provide opportunities for all women to serve with joy in areas of their gifts, interests and biblical calling.

By serving God together, as well as serving this parish community and each other, they hope to be the hands and feet of Jesus, providing encouragement and support while building relationships that will help to guide future generations to live out their Orthodox Faith, "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them" (Ephesians 2:10).

Ministry to women, by women and for women, to bring all closer to God and to enable a heart to serve and love those round about us all, supports the entire parish community and those who lead the parish family in following Christ.

The parish's women are asked to consider participating in one of the following committees : The Pre-Liturgy Committee ; the Post-Liturgy Committee ; the General Cleaning Committee ; the Benevolent Committee ; the Spiritual Needs Committee ; the Social Committee.

The parish library

During the COVID lockdowns, the parishioners did research on how to set up a Orthodox Church library, and there was a gift of some Orthodox titles. Then Matushka Pat Katsilas (who has the necessary training) began catagorising and organising the books as a foundation for a parish library in the Temple of Saint John the Divine, which was established in the conference room. In 2023, there were approximately 300 titles, and Matushka Pat continues to manage the library.


SJDWConferenceRoomLibrary 2.jpg Conference room and library


The library is open to members of the Saint John the Divine community during the hours that the church building is open. Before removing any books from the library, one must go through an orientation with the librarian. One must register to use the library.


Saint John the Divine Church Windsor ON.jpg Temple of Saint John the Divine, Windsor

Parish particular information

This parish is a part of the Ontario Deanery of the Archdiocese of Canada, of The Orthodox Church in America. The dean is Archpriest Geoffrey Ready. The bishop is Archbishop Irénée (Rochon).

This parish follows the New (Revised Julian) Calendar.

The Altar Feast-day of this parish is the Feast of Saint John the Theologian, 26 September (9 October on the Old Calendar).

In 2025, the pastor of the parish was the Archpriest R John Ayoub. The deacon was Deacon Srdjan Miskovic.


Address :

Saint John the Divine Orthodox Church

1094, Drouillard Road

Windsor, Ontario

N8Y 2P8

Telephone : 519-258-8668

E-mail : parishpriest@stjohnwindsor.org

Web-site : http://stjohnwindsor.org


Saint John the Divine Windsor ON.jpg


Directions :

Saint John the Divine Church is located at the corner of Drouillard Road and Richmond Street in the Ford City area of Windsor, Ontario, Canada.

By car :

From Highway #401 :

From Highway #401, take the exit at Essex Road (#46 W), Exit #14 (towards Windsor). Follow Provincial Road CR-#46 to Walker Road (turn right). Continue for approximately 8 km (5 mi) to Richmond Street (turn right). Drive approximately 1 km (½ mi). The Temple is on the left.

From the Ambassador Bridge (Detroit) :

After crossing from Detroit in the USA over the Ambassador Bridge, and after having passed through customs on the Canadian side, make an immediate right turn onto Huron Church Road. Continue north until Riverside Drive. Turn right on Riverside Drive, and continue for approximately 7 km (4.5 mi), passing through the city (with the Detroit River on the left), past the Casino, past the Hiram Walker Complex. At Our Lady of the Rosary Roman Catholic Church, turn right onto Drouillard Road. Continue .8 km (½ mi). The Temple is on the left at the corner of Drouillard Road and Richmond Street.

From the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel :

The Temple is 4.3 km (2.67 mi) from the Detroit-Windsor international tunnel. After passing through customs, turn right. At the first light, turn left on Goyeau Street. Continue until Riverside Drive (at the river). Turn right onto Riverside, pass the Casino, and the Hiram Walker complex. 3.5 km (2.2 mi) from the border, at Our Lady of the Rosary Roman Catholic Church, turn right onto Drouillard Road. Continue .8 km (½ mi). The Temple is on the left, at the corner of Drouillard Road and Richmond Street.

Parking :

Parking is located ½ block south of the Temple on Drouillard Road, at the Gino A Marcus Community Complex. Parking is available also on some parts of the surrounding streets.


By bus :

There is bus service on Drouillard Road. Consult Transit Windsor.

By rail :

VIARail provides passenger railway service along the "Windsor-Quebec City Corridor".

By air :

The Windsor International Aeroport offers regular access from various Canadian cities.


R John Ayoub

Telephone : 226-674-5050

E-mail : parishpriest@stjohnwindsor.org


Deacon Srdjan Miskovic

Telephone : 519-991-8893

E-mail : smiskovic@protonmail.com


Saint John the Divine Temple, Windsor 2.png

Saint John entry 1.jpg

References

Parish history by Father Constantine

Archdiocese of Canada – Orthodox Church in America, “The Orthodox Church in Canada : A Chronology” (Ottawa : Archdiocese of Canada, 1988).

A Chronological History of the Archdiocese of Canada, Part 1

The Russian Mission in North America

Tarasar, Constance J, ed., “Orthodox America 1794-1976 : Development of The Orthodox Church in America” (Syosset, NY : The Orthodox Church in America Department of History and Archives, 1975). ASIN : B000ZLZAUE


Additional information :

Parish web-site

Archdiocese of Canada parish listing

Archdiocese of Canada web-site

Orthodoxwiki article about the Archdiocese of Canada

Orthodox Church in America (OCA) parish listing

Orthodoxwiki article about the Orthodox Church in America

Orthodox World listing

Metropolitan Platon (Rozhdestvensky)

Metropolitan Theophilus (Pashkovsky)

Metropolitan Leonty (Turkevich)

Metropolitan Ireney (Bekish)

Metropolitan Theodosius (Lazor)

Metropolitan Herman (Swaiko)

Metropolitan Jonah (Pauffhausen)

Metropolitan Tikhon (Mollard)

Bishop Arseny (Chahovtsov)

Archbishop Joasaph (Skorodumov)

Archbishop Nikon (de Grève)

Archbishop Sylvester (Haruns)

Archbishop Irénée (Rochon)

Bishop Antoniy (Vasiliev)

Archpriest Lucian Steciuk

Mitred Archpriest Basil Butchko

Archpriest Constantine (Dean) Katsilas

Archpriest John R Ayoub

Canadian Encyclopaedia article about Windsor

Neighbourhood history article about Saint John the Divine Orthodox Church

Historical article about Russian immigration to Windsor (May, 2015)

“Hierarchical Visit of Archbishop Irénée to St John the Evangelist Church in Windsor, ON” (18 November, 2018)

“New Icons for St John the Divine Church in Windsor, ON” (12 January, 2021)

Canadian Orthodox Messenger (1989-2013)” articles

St John the Divine Church, Windsor’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger” (July, 1993), p. 8.

The Rebirth of a Community’ in "Canadian Orthodox Messenger" (Spring, 2006), p. 15.

Renaissance at St John the Divine, Windsor, continues’ in "Canadian Orthodox Messenger" (Spring, 2007), p. 7.

Myrrh-streaming icon visits St John's, Windsor’ in "Canadian Orthodox Messenger" (Autumn, 2007), p. 12.

Pastoral Notes : 6 December, 2006, Deacon Constantine Katsilas received from the Romanian Episcopate’ in "Canadian Orthodox Messenger" (Autumn, 2007), p. 12.

Pastoral Notes : 1 January, 2007, Deacon Constantine Katsilas ordained to the Holy Priesthood, assigned as rector’ in "Canadian Orthodox Messenger" (Autumn, 2007), p. 12.

Hospitality to the poor at St John’s, Windsor’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger” (Spring, 2009), pp. 6-7.