Thunder Bay-Fort William ON Holy Assumption Ukrainian Orthodox Church 1910
Thunder Bay-Fort William, Ontario, Holy Assumption Ukrainian Orthodox Church
Prehistory
Because Fort William, and Port Arthur, Ontario, Canada (much later amalgamated to become Thunder Bay) were on the route of the transcontinental railway service, they became a stopping-place for some Ukrainian immigrants in the early 1900s. There was work to be found in the region, and there were farming possibilities as well.
The first Ukrainian organisation, a branch of the “Prosvita” (enlightenment) society in Fort William (est 1906), is still active. Two other “Prosvita” branches were organised in 1909, one in Port Arthur and the other in West Fort William.
By this time, there was a movement to try to establish a place of worship. Despite the rigidly-enforced “melting pot” philosophy towards ethnic minorities that prevailed in Canada during the early 1900s, the Slavic Christian families of Fort William came together to found a church which would supply them with a space to meet their spiritual needs and express their cultural and religious identity.
Although the first persons to do so were originally Ukrainian Catholics, they were also persons who were aware of their own families’ older history in the Orthodox Christian Church. Therefore, included in this movement was an approach to the Orthodox Church, served in Canada by the North American Diocese of the “Russian Mission in North America”. The nearest parish of this diocese which could help was Holy Trinity Church in Winnipeg, Manitoba, which by that time had become a centre for missionary activity.
A brotherhood was organised and registered on 25 January, 1910, for the purpose of undertaking this project, and it is probable that people already began to gather to pray together on a regular basis.
A Ukrainian Catholic parish was established in Fort William in 1909 ; and by 1918, it had built the Church of the Transfiguration.
A second Ukrainian Catholic parish, dedicated to the Ascension of Our Lord, was established in 1911.
The following 2 statements show the history from publications of different perspectives, but which demonstrate particular moments in the history of the parish :
Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Fort William, Ontario, Hieromonk Joasaph (Marchenko) 1914 Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary 716 Pacific Avenue Year Built : 1911
Construction of the First Temple
On 24 February, 1911, 6 men (mostly labourers) signed an agreement, and they received land on which they could construct a Temple to the Lord at 716, Pacific Avenue, between Pacific Avenue and Connolly Street.
The construction costs were shouldered by the approximately 300 members of the congregation, and the building was completed by 1912. The new Temple, named Holy Assumption (Dormition) Orthodox Church, faced some difficulties in the first years of its existence, one of them being a shortage of priests. However, by 1914, Hieromonk Joasaph (Marchenko) was listed as serving this parish under the North American Diocese. He was followed by several others over the following 10 years.
First Temple of the Holy Assumption (Dormition) of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Finances were a constant struggle for the working-class congregation. When they were unable to pay taxes in 1915, the property was encumbered, and turned over to the administration of Archbishop Alexander (Nemolovsky) of New York, administrator of the North American Diocese.
During the years of the development of this parish, there was a movement developing towards the use of the Ukrainian language instead of the Latin of the Roman Catholics, and the Slavonic of the Ukrainian Catholics and Orthodox Christians.
Greek Orthodox parish founded, 1918
In 1918, Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church was founded in Port Arthur (later Thunder Bay), and received its first priest.
Founding of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada, 1918
On 18-19 July, 1918, a confidential conference of disenchanted lay Roman Catholics from Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta created a Ukrainian Orthodox Brotherhood. Its goal was to organise the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada. Although the Ukrainian settlers who took part in the organisation of this Church body were not theologians, they were aware of the canon law that a Church body cannot exist without a bishop.
Thus, the brotherhood contacted Archbishop Alexander (Nemolovsky), an ethnic Ukrainian in the “Russian Orthodox Mission in North America”, and from 1916, its first resident bishop in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Initially, he had accepted to become the temporary bishop of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada (UGOCC) and to preside at its first Sobor ; but later, he refused (in part because of pressures concerning this in the USA).
First Sobor of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada, 1918
Nevertheless, the first “Sobor” (assembly) took place in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, on 28 December, 1918, without the presence of a bishop.
This assembly led to the establishment of the first seminary in Saskatoon. Its later descendent in Winnipeg, Manitoba, was Saint Andrew's College (1932).
Second Sobor of the UGOCC ; Metropolitan Germanos (Shehadeh), 1919
The second Sobor was held on 27 November, 1919, in the presence of the Antiochian Metropolitan Germanos (Shehadeh) living in the USA at the time, and who accepted to lead the UGOCC until the time it would have its own bishop. He headed the Church for 5 years, until 1924.
Continued early years
Meanwhile, the Holy Assumption parish continued to be served by the North American Diocese, as well as was feasible. The diocese, however, had been “cast adrift” in the wake of the 1917 Communist Revolution against the Russian Empire. Communication from Saint Petersburg and then Moscow became extremely difficult.
As a consequence, the North American Diocese in New York lost a great amount of its fiscal resources and supply of clergy as well.
Move to the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada, 1924
In 1924, the parish moved to the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada (which by this time had achieved a stable structure), which was able to assign a priest to serve them.
Saint Volodymyr Church (1935-2024)
In 1935, the parish of Saint Volodymyr was formed by 200 former members of the Ukrainian Catholic parish of the Ascension.
Fire, 1936 ; Second Temple, 1937
Further difficult times ensued when, in 1936, a fire nearly destroyed the wooden structure. The fire of 1936 wreaked extensive damage to the building, especially the roof which had to be entirely rebuilt.
When faced with the option of restoring the building on its original site, or moving the church’s location, the members of the congregation were deeply divided. The younger generation was in favour of a move ; however, they were outnumbered by the older members when the issue was put to a vote.
Construction on the new building was completed in 1937 on the exact location of the original. Upon reconstruction, the members of the parish decided to alter the domes; but they left the belfry essentially the same. The walls were at some time covered with imitation brick tar siding, although in 1979, this was covered up with the metal siding that is still there in the present. The stained-glass windows were also added at this time.
Second Temple of the Holy Assumption (Dormition) of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Architecture
The temple was designed in a style appropriate to the Volyn and Bukovynia regions of the Ukraine. The decorative golden domes which are positioned on top of the building are characteristic of Ukrainian churches of these areas. Orthodox Crosses are situated atop the domes. The exterior is further decorated with stained glass windows with simple patterns. The interior of the church is attractive, and pleasant, especially the numerous paintings which adorn the light blue walls.
The bells, imported from Galicia, have been in the church since shortly after it was built. The 2 larger ones were bought by the parish administration, while members bought the 3 smaller ones. Typical of many Orthodox churches is the choir loft above the entrance to the Temple. Two monuments adorn the grounds of the church. One is from 1918, and it is a donation from Joan Kuryliuk.
Further local developments
A branch of the Ukrainian National Federation arose in Fort William in 1938, and by 1947 it had built its own hall.
At an annual meeting in 1950, church members decided to adopt the name of ‘Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Fort William’.
The local branch of the Canadian League for Ukraine’s Liberation (est 1950), along with the fraternal organisations, bought its own building in 1961.
In 1966, the Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Holy Protectress was built in Port Arthur.
In 1968, the Ukrainian Catholic Church of the Elevation of the Holy Cross was created.
The walls of the Temple were at some time covered with imitation brick tar siding ; and in 1979, this was covered over with metal siding. The stained glass windows were also added at that time.
By 1985, the Ukrainian Credit Union (est 1949) had over 1,100 members and assets of $3,683,000.00.
Holy Assumption (Dormition) Church, view from the east
Holy Assumption (Dormition) Church Parish Hall, view from the west
Change in status of the UGOCC, 1990
In 1990, the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada was officially renamed “The Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada” (UOCC) by an Act of the Parliament of Canada.
In 1990, the 18th Sobor of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada in Winnipeg, Manitoba, decided to enter into Eucharistic Union with the Ecumenical Patriarchate in Constantinople (Istanbul). This decision also changed the relationship with the other Orthodox dioceses and parishes in Canada in a positive way.
On 25 January, 2010, the parish was added to the Heritage Register.
Centennial of the UOCC, 2018
In 2018, the 100th anniversary of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada and also of Holy Trinity Cathedral were marked at an extraordinary sobor (assembly) at the cathedral in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
The purpose of the sobor was to celebrate 100 years of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada. The celebrations were attended by Ukrainian Orthodox faithful from across Canada and beyond.
The Sobor began on Thursday, 9 August, 2018, with a Hierarchical Divine Liturgy in the Chapel of Saint Petro Mohyla Institute, presided by Bishop Andriy (Peshko) of the Eastern Eparchy, with the responses sung by the Clergy led by Father Michael Lomaszkiewicz. This was followed by an All-Canada Clergy Conference.
All gathered for Vespers at the Mohyla Institute Chapel and this was followed by a wine and cheese reception as the delegates and guests registered for the Extraordinary National Council.
The celebrations continued for a year.
In early 2020, the Covid-19 virus made its appearance in Canada, and it quickly became a world-wide pandemic. Because of the rules governing gatherings that were laid down by the provincial and city governments, the parish stopped any further services after 8 March, 2020. Including the rules regarding social distancing, the decreasing numbers permitted for any gathering, and the considerations regarding the health of all concerned, this and other parishes were required to close for a time.
As elsewhere, there was some controversy about the legal requirements.
Election of Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk), 2022
Election of a nominee by the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
On 15-19 June, 2022, the 24th Sobor of the Ukrainian Orthodox of Canada was convened "on-line". This conference-meeting was convened thus instead of convening physically (as customarily) in Winnipeg, Manitoba. There were 6 cathedrals in Canada where this meeting took place simultaneously through a computer-network : in Winnipeg, Manitoba (Holy Trinity Metropolitan Cathedral) ; Vancouver, British Columbia (Holy Trinity Cathedral) ; in Edmonton, Alberta (Saint John's Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral) ; in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (Holy Trinity Cathedral) ; in Toronto, Ontario (Saints Vladimir and Olga Cathedral) ; in Montréal, Québec (Saint Sophie Cathedral).
There was a total of 205 delegates, which was near the average attendance for such sobors.
In the course of the work of the Sobor, there was the necessary election in order to nominate to the Holy Synod of the Church of Constantinople a candidate for election as Archbishop of Winnipeg and Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada, who would succeed the Retired Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk).
There were 3 candidates who were considered : Archbishop Job (Getcha), Bishop Ilarion (Rudnyk), and Bishop Andriy (Peshko). The final choice of the members of the sobor was Archbishop Job (Getcha). He had received more than the minimum required 51% of the votes, and there was no subsequent voting required.
The election by the Sobor (Assembly) of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada then had to be confirmed by the Holy Synod of Bishops of Constantinople (as is described in the Consistory By-laws).
Upon having received the nomination (with accompanying documents) from the Sobor of the UOCC, the Holy Synod of the Church of Constantinople elected Vladyka Ilarion (Rudnyk) to become Archbishop of Winnipeg and Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Canada.
The Holy Synod of the Church of Constantinople elected Archbishop Job (Getcha) to become Metropolitan of Pisidia, in west-central Türkiye (Turkey), north of Lycia, and east of Ephesus.
Confirmation of election in Constantinople/Istanbul, 2022
On 29 August, 2022, Vladyka Ilarion (Rudnyk) was at the Phanar in Constantinople for the purpose of the first confirmation of the election in June, 2022. He co-served the Divine Liturgy with Patriarch Bartholomew (Archontonis) in the Cathedral of Saint George at the Phanar.
Enthronement as Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada, 2022
On Saturday, 19 November, 2022, at 9:30 a.m., in Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral in Winnipeg, Manitoba, the Enthronement Hierarchical Divine Liturgy was served. Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk) presided at the Divine Liturgy. He was assisted by Bishop Andriy (Peshko), many priests, several deacons, subdeacons and Altar-servers. Present also were Metropolitan Archbishop Sotirios (Athanassoulas), Exarch of Canada for the Patriarchate of Constantinople, and Retired Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk), Former Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada.
Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk) at the Phanar, Istanbul, 2023
On Sunday, 2 July, 2023, Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew (Archontonis) was present and praying during the Divine Liturgy at Saint George's Cathedral in the Patriarchate compound. He gave the blessing that Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk) preside ("horostasia") over the Divine Liturgy. Metropolitan Job (Getcha) of Pisidia, Bishop Athenagoras (Ziliaskopoulos) of Nazianzos, and the Honourable Roman Nedilskyi, General Consul of Ukraine in Constantinople were also present and praying with the congregation of the Faithful.
Change of calendar for the UOCC, 2023
On 1 December, 2023, in accordance with the resolutions of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada, Metropolitan Ilarion II (Rudnyk) announced that, effective that day, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada moved to use the New (Revised Julian) Calendar. He allowed that for a brief period of time, a parish might remain on the Old (Julian) Calendar.
It seems that subsequently, John's Cathedral in Edmonton, Alberta, was the first to adopt the New (Revised Julian) Calendar.
However, a previously-existing group of persons began to encourage resistance to the immediacy of this change. It was their understanding that the process would be determined ultimately and finally at the next general sobor of the UOCC. Therefore, on 16 December, 2023, Metropolitan Ilarion issued a formal letter concerning the situation, together with a letter of support sent to him by his predecessor (Retired Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk)). He called the resisters to repentance.
Particular parish information
This parish is part of the Eastern Eparchy, Thunder Bay Region (Deanery), of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada. The dean of the region is the Mitred Archpriest Jaroslaw D. Buciora. The bishop is Bishop Andrij (Peshko).
This parish follows the New (Revised Julian) Calendar.
The Altar Feast-day of the parish is the Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos (15 August) (formerly 28 August).
In 2025, the pastor of the parish was Mitred Archpriest Jaroslaw D. Buciora.
Address :
Assumption (Dormition) Of Saint Mary Parish
716, Pacific Avenue
Thunder Bay, Ontario
P7C 2S5
Telephone : (807) 577-7055
Directions :
By car :
From Highway #1 (TransCanada), at the junction of Highway #1 and Highway #61, turn left (east) onto the Harbour Expressway. Continue on the expressway until the T-junction with Fort William Road. Turn right onto Fort William Road, and drive straight on when it becomes Simpson Street. At Pacific Avenue, turn left, and drive until McPherson Street. The Temple is on the right.
By Bus :
Consult the Thunder Bay Transit System.
There is bus service on McPherson Street and McLeod Street.
By railway :
There is VIA Rail railway service to Thunder Bay.
By air :
The Thunder Bay International Airport (YQT) is served by various airlines.
Mitred Archpriest Jaroslaw Buciora
Telephone : (807) 577-7055
References
A brief History of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
Yereniuk, Professor Roman, “Short Historical Outline of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada” (UOCC)
Thunder Bay Heritage, Ukrainian Orthodox church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary (pdf)
Orthodox World listing for Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Church
Additional information :
“Collection of Material Relating to the 50th Anniversary of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada, 1918-1968” (Winnipeg : Consistory of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada, 1968).
Sametz, William, “My father the priest : the life and times of the Very Reverend Dr. Peter Sametz : founding missionary priest of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada” (Toronto : Hypertex Plus, 2008). ISBN : 9780969670056. “Ukrainians in Canada” pdf article Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada web-site
Wikipedia article about the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
Orthodoxwiki article about the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
Church of Constantinople web-site
Orthodoxwiki article about the Church of Constantinople
Patriarch Bartholomew (Archontonis)
Metropolitan Germanos (Shehadeh)
Metropolitan John (Theodorovych)
Metropolitan Ilarion I (Ohienko)
Metropolitan Michael (Khoroshy)
Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk)
Metropolitan Ilarion II (Rudnyk)
Thunder Bay-Port Arthur, Ontario, Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, 1918
Thunder Bay, Ontario. Saint Volodymyr-All Saints Ukrainian Orthodox Church
Bibliography of Writings about Ukrainians in Canada at the Canadian Museum of History
Encyclopaedia of Ukraine history of the UOCC
Video : 100th anniversary of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada (2018)
Canadian Encyclopedia article “Ukrainian Canadian History”
Internet Encyclopaedia of Ukraine article “Thunder Bay”
Enthronement of Bishop Ilarion (Rudnyk) as Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada (19 November, 2022)
Nativity Epistle of Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudyk) of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada (7 January, 2023)
Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk) announces Change of Calendar (1 December, 2023)
Nativity Epistle of the Episcopate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada in 2023-2024
Nativity Epistle of the Episcopate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada in 2024-2025






