Star AB Holy Transfiguration Russo Orthodox Church and Cemetery 1893

From Canadian Orthodox History Project
Jump to navigation Jump to search


Holy Transfiguration StarCSt.jpg

Star, Alberta, Church and Cemetery of the Holy Transfiguration, 1893


Prehistory

From about 1891 to 1903, the area of the Edna-Star block settlement northeast of Edmonton, North-West Territories (after 1905, Alberta), Canada, began to be populated by immigrating newcomers from the Halychyna area of Western Ukraine. This area had been part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire before World War I, and it was known as Galicia. Within that empire, it was called the Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria until World War I. It was, therefore, in the general political orbit of Poland. That those who settled in the Star region came from Halychyna is something that they had in common with the founders of several other parishes in this region.

Edna-Star-Nebylilv colony

Star (it is often called simply "Star") is situated in Lamont County, which is a part of the large region presently known as “Kalyna Country”, and it was part of the Edna-Star Colony of the Ukrainian Block Settlement. The Edna-Star colony is also called the Nebyliv colony, named for the home village of the Eleniak and Pylypow families, in the Kalush region of Ivano-Frankivsk Oblast (province) in the Galician part of what became later Western Ukraine. This block settlement is the largest and oldest of the Ukrainian Canadian block settlements.

Beginning of Ukrainian immigration, 1891

In 1891, a new era began in Canada when the first Ukrainian immigrants, Wasyl Eleniak and Ivan Pylypow, landed at Montréal, Québec. People from their homeland of Galicia began to come in large numbers to settle this part of Alberta. This immigration was part of the larger and famous Ruthenian emigration plan of Dr. Joseph Oleskow of Galicia.

Wasyl Eleniak and Ivan Pylypow

Wasyl Eleniak, along with his brother Peter, settled in Chipman, where they were first amongst the founders of the Church of Saint John the Baptist in 1900. Wasyl Eleniak farmed and raised a large family. He reposed at the age of 97.

Ivan Pylypow and his family settled north of Lamont, near Star (about 19 km northwest of Chipman).

One element of the history of the region of Galicia in Western Ukraine is the presence there of the Ukrainian Catholic Church. From the 16th century, with the signing and imposition of the Union of Brest, many Orthodox Christian believers were absorbed into union with the Pope of Rome, primarily because of the pressure of politics at the time. When their descendants emigrated, many took the opportunity to return to the Orthodox Faith. This is perhaps the main contributor to the difficulties faced in this community until about 1902.

The Ukrainian immigrants destined for Edna-Star got off the train from Calgary, Alberta, at Strathcona (now part of Edmonton). Since this settlement was on the south side of the North Saskatchewan River, the homesteaders approaching the settlement from Strathcona followed the South Victoria Trail. They trekked along this trail northeastwards (now approximately the route of Highway #14 as it leaves Edmonton, but soon turning northwards). They travelled past present-day Clover Bar, Josephburg, and Scotford, and skirted the northern boundary of the Beaver Hills. Next, their route took them briefly along the Beaverhill Creek (also known as Beaver Creek), until they finally arrived at the site of the Edna-Star settlement. Ivan Pylypow's first homestead was near Scotford ; and a year later, he moved to one across Beaver Creek, about 8 km (5 mi) north of present-day Lamont. Stefan Chichak, his wife and 4 children and Iurko Panishchak, his wife and 2 children followed a similar pattern of arrival and settlement in 1893.

Ivan Pylypow and Wasyl Eleniak helped to trigger the first wave of major Ukrainian immigration to Canada, and they were the first to register a homestead (at Lagenburg, Saskatchewan).


Ivan Pylypow1.jpg Ivan Pylypow

First establishment, 1894 ; controversy

The first Galician Ukrainians settled in the Star area in 1894. Many churches and schools were built soon after their arrival, including the ancestor of Holy Transfiguration Church.

The origins of this parish (important in history) of the Holy Transfiguration at Star are linked with the simultaneous formation of the congregation that founded the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Ukrainian Catholic Church at Star-Peno.

Improvised, lay-led worship, 1894

In 1894, the faithful people began to gather regularly and to worship together in the newly-constructed school. It was there that services (shorter services led by Readers) continued to be offered until a Temple could be constructed.

Preparation for constructing the first Temple, 1896

In 1896, a committee was formed in order to organise the purchase of land upon which the Temple would be built. The committee members included :

 John Danchuk ; Mikhailo Melnyk ; Kost Newersky ; Mikhailo Pullishy ; Ivan Pylypow ; John Sorochan ; 
 Mykola Spashensky.

This first Temple was built from logs which were cut in the forest and hauled by teams of horses to the construction site.

However, this could not be achieved until a grant for the land was received from the government, and until permission to cut the wood for construction was received (20 November, 1897).

First services by Greek Catholic clergy, 1897

In 1897, the Edna-Star colony, northeast of the present-day town of Lamont, was visited by a Ukrainian Catholic priest from Winnipeg (who had come from the USA), Father Nestor Dmytriw (†1925). He had been granted the right by the Roman Catholic Bishop Émile-Joseph Legal to exercise his priestly ministry amongst the Galician people. At that time, he was newly a bishop, and not yet the Bishop of Saint Albert. It is to be remembered that many of the immigrating people from Ukraine were arriving as Ukrainian Catholics (many of them historically Orthodox Christians whose ancestors had been forced into the Unia after 1596), and he understood that it was his pastoral responsibility to make such provisions for them.

Under the initiative of Father Dmytriw, the first Ukrainian Catholic parish in Alberta was established on 2 May, 1897. He held the first “Eastern Rite” services in the fledgling colony, at which time he called upon the settlers to undertake the construction of a church and manse. Steps were taken at once to secure priests of the Greek Ruthenian rite through the appropriate authorities in Rome. This was an endeavour which the entire community enthusiastically supported, and everyone began to work together to construct the original Star church. However, some of them intended for it to be served by Ukrainian Catholic priests, while others wanted it to be served by Orthodox priests.

Petition to the Orthodox Bishop of North America, 1897

In 1897, just 10 weeks later, 2 Russian Orthodox missionaries (the Priest Dmitri Kamnev and the Deacon Vladimir Alexandrov) arrived from Seattle (sent by Bishop Nicholas (Ziorov) in answer to a local request), and they likewise encouraged the newcomers to build a place of worship.


Bishop Nicholas Ziorov.jpg Bishop Nicholas (Ziorov)


Establishment of Temples at Stary Wostok and Skaro

This initiative resulted in the construction of Holy Trinity Church, Stary Wostok, about 12 km (7.5 mi) to the east of Star. Very soon afterwards, another Orthodox parish (Holy Ascension) was established, about 12 km (7.5 km) to the north of Star, at Skaro, and another parish, farther to the east near present-day Andrew, the Nativity of the Theotokos parish was established at Kysylew.


Priest Dmitry Kamnev 1902.png Priest Dmitri Kamnev


At the same time, a group of the original settlers at Star-Edna had comprehended that they were no longer obligated to belong to the Uniat church (as previously in their portion of Galicia). Therefore, in 1897, this group prepared a petition which was taken by Father Kamnev to Bishop Nicholas (Ziorov) in San Francisco, California. He was at that time the Bishop of the Russian Orthodox Mission in North America. In this petition, the signators requested to be received into the Orthodox Christian Church. They also requested that missionary Russian Orthodox clergy come and serve the new settlers in Canada. These persons were well aware of the history of their families' Orthodox Christian Faith in the past, and of the historical links with Kyivan Rus'.

Nevertheless, in the spring of 1898, the Uniat Metropolitan of Galicia (Metropolitan Archbishop Sylvester Cardinal Sembratovych) sent Father Tymkiewitcz to the North-West Territories (Alberta). This young priest stayed in this region for less than 6 months before he departed for the United States of America. However, before he left he succeeded in convincing Bishop Vital-Justin Grandin of Saint Albert that it was time to proceed with the usual step of uniting the church property at Star to the episcopal corporation through a committee of 3, known as “trustees” or “syndics” of the mission.

Effects of the trustee provision

The trust arrangement created by this act gave rise to one of the most protracted and memorable lawsuits in the history of the courts of Alberta — the famous Star Church lawsuit (Zacklinski vs. Polishie, 1908 A. C. 65). It was Michael Pullishy (†1944) whose name was noted (with a different spelling) as the leader of the suit on behalf of the Orthodox Christian congregation.

In 1899, a clear title was issued by the civil authority for 160 acres, of which 40 acres were for the church and cemetery. All the members contributed money, materials and labour in the construction of their new church building, which was completed in September, 1899, and known as the Greek Catholic Church of Limestone Lake. The building was blessed in 1900 by Father Ivan Zaklinski, who then served this congregation until the spring of 1902. Nevertheless, the building was subsequently also used by Orthodox priests sent to minister in the Star colony. The tension within the community was increasing.

Meanwhile, in 1900, a Polish priest, Father Olczewski, was ordained by Bishop Grandin and commissioned in order to work amongst the Galicians, Bucovinians and Romanians. In the same year (1900), in order to obtain a regular supply of Ukrainian Catholic priests for the Galician settlements, Father Albert Lacombe was sent to visit Vienna and Lemberg (Lviv), which at that time were both part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. In response to this appeal, the Archbishop of Lemberg (Lviv) sent Father Basil Zoldak to Alberta to survey the situation. He arrived in Edmonton on 15 February, 1902, and he returned to Galicia in May, accompanied by Father Ivan, in order to secure more Ukrainian Catholic priests.

Accordingly 3 Basilian Fathers, a lay brother, and 4 “Sisters Servants of Mary Immaculate" were welcomed at Edmonton in October of that year.

It is to be noted that the Roman Catholics had far greater resources both locally and internationally for supplying clergy than did the Orthodox. They also already had about 300 years of presence and experience in Canada, whereas the Orthodox were only at the beginning of their presence.

Nevertheless, the arrival in 1900 of the Orthodox Priest Jakob Korchinsky and his wife did provide a balance to these activities, centred around Holy Trinity Church, Stary Wostok (in English, "Old East").

Closure ; civil suits

This uneasy and ultimately untenable situation continued until both groups wanted to use the building at the same time for services associated with the celebration of the Feast of Pascha in 1901. At this time, tempers flared.

The people argued about whether they should remain Uniat Greek Catholic or become Russo-Greek Orthodox. The Royal North-West Mounted Police were called to maintain the peace. The police did not let either group into the church. Both groups had their Paschal celebrations outdoors. The building was then closed because of the dissension within the congregation, and a protracted court battle began, which was taken from local courts to higher ones, and finally in 1907 to the Privy Council in London, England.

The first sitting was held in Star. The presiding judge ruled that this issue should be looked at in Edmonton. In 1904, the Edmonton Court awarded the Church to the Ukrainian Catholic group. The Orthodox group appealed the decision to the Supreme Court of the North-West Territories in Calgary (soon afterwards in Alberta). On 18 January, 1905, the appeal was dismissed and the Edmonton court decision was upheld. The Orthodox group then appealed the decision to the Supreme Court of Canada in Ottawa, Ontario. In February, 1906, the Orthodox appeal was upheld by a 3 to 2 decision. The decision was based on the application for a permit to cut logs for the construction of the church. The first application requested logs for a “Greek Orthodox Church”. The Ukrainian Catholic group appealed this decision to the Privy Council in London, England. In July 1907, the Privy Council dismissed the appeal. It based its decision on the application for the permit to cut logs. In addition, the Privy Council ordered the Ukrainian Catholic group to pay all the costs of the appeal. Indeed, such a decision could not legally be based on anything having to do with ecclesiology.

Meanwhile, in 1905, the Canadian Northern Railway had built a branch line through Star. This improved accessibility for the movement of both people and goods in the region.

Gramota from Bishop Tikhon (Belavin)

During the course of his several pastoral visits in the region, Bishop Tikhon (Belavin), head of the North American Diocese of the Russian Mission, presented a "blessed gramota" (certificate of gratitude and blessing) to Holy Transfiguration Parish.


Star Gramota 2.png Gramota by Bishop Tikhon (Belavin)


Bishop Saint Tikhon (Belavin)S.jpg Bishop (Saint) Tikhon (Belavin)

Settled disputes, 1907 ; settled life

Following the Privy Council judgement, 2 parcels of land nearby were donated specifically for a Roman Catholic Church and cemetery. The Ukrainian Catholics (who had suffered as a result of the decision) then built their church of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary on one of these parcels, about 1.5 km (.9 mi) to the south.


Priest, Mykhailo Fecula, in front of Orthodox Church, 1909 2.png Priest Mikhailo Fecula at Holy Transfiguration Temple, Star, 1909

Re-construction of the Temple, 1913, Parish growth

In 1913, the original log Temple was disassembled, and the logs were cut into timber which was used in the construction of the present Temple. An early (for this region) cruciform structure, this Temple has a large central dome on an octagonal base and round-headed windows, features common to Ukrainian Canadian Temples. The richly decorated interior features an ornate 3-tiered iconostas. These elements reflect the increasing prosperity of the pioneer farmers, and the care that they took to beautify the Temple in which they worshipped the Lord. With time, the stabilisation of parish life supported more growth.

Over the following decades, many improvements were made. The heating progressed from a wood-burning heater to an oil furnace, and then to a natural gas furnace. The interior and exterior were painted repeatedly as needed. Electricity was added to the Temple. New shingles were provided, which replaced the older cedar ones. Pews were eventually added. A bell-house was constructed near the Temple.

Rural depopulation

From the early 1930s, the region around the Edna-Star Block Settlement began to experience changes imposed by exterior events. These events hastened the development of the phenomenon of rural depopulation. The most prominent of these events were the Great Drought (1921-1939), which affected much of the population of the Prairie Provinces. The Great Depression (1929-1939) was another, which produced wide-spread unemployment throughout the country. Increased and more refined mechanisation of farming methods brought about the consolidation of farms into larger and larger operations, which eventually developed into farming as business ("agribusiness"). This phenomenon contributed greatly to the reduction of the rural population, and these latter 2 phenomena continued on for many decades.

Addition of a parish hall, 1952

In addition, in 1952, an old Wostok school building was obtained. It was moved and remodelled for use as a parish hall. This building is situated at a little distance to the west of the Temple. At that time, the Priest George Marinetz served in this parish. This parish was noted for the quality of its singing. This was particularly evident at the time of the Feast of the Nativity of Christ, when carollers would travel round to sing in the homes of parishioners. During these years, there was an active Church school, choir, and women's group. There was also a strong sense of community or family responsibility which bonded all those who worked together and who cared for the Temple and the cemetery.

One anecdote of a pastoral technique is shared about the confessions of children. At that time, the priest would give a child a chocolate after the confession, and also if the child could recite by heart certain prayers.

In 1969, the Archpriest Vasyl Ostashek began to serve in the parish. He continued to serve until his repose in Christ in 1998.

In 1991, both the Temple and the cemetery were registered as official historical resources. In that year also, Joseph Pullishy fashioned several golden Crosses for the Temple.


Star Holy Transfiguration Church Sign.jpg Parish sign


Co-operative parish groupings, 1990s

Since the early 1990s, the Holy Transfiguration parish has taken its place amongst several other parishes in a sort of “family”. There are 4 such groups in this region (2 in the Archdiocese of Canada (OCA) and 2 in the Patriarchal Parishes of Canada (MP)). The OCA groupings were called "Lakeland Family of Parishes" and "Saint Tikhon Family of Parishes". The Patriarchal parish groupings were called "Orthodox V" and "Orthodox IX". This co-operation has helped all the participant communities to maintain their strength in the face of the depopulation of the farmlands. Parishioners sustain their own Temples, while they all circulate from Temple to Temple on a weekly basis and worship together in the various Temples. This mutual support has been of benefit to all, and they manage together to support the priest who serves them all. As a result of this co-operative way of living together, the parish has been able not only to sustain itself, but also to grow with the inclusion of newcomers who are always welcomed.

Major renovation : new foundation

Before 1998, the Temple was lifted up off its crumbling foundation, a new basement foundation was built, and the Temple was replaced upon the new foundation. Previously, there had been no basement, but rather a foundation of rocks.

After the repose of Father Ostashek, a series of priests served in the parish for several years.

Archpriest Nikolai Nikolaev

In 2000, the Archpriest Nikolai Nikolaev began to serve in the parish, and he remained doing so until 2016.

Visit by diocesan assembly participants from Edmonton, 2001

In 2001, at the conclusion of the Archdiocesan Assembly Meeting in Edmonton, Alberta, buses of representatives and clergy visited various historical rural parishes, including the Holy Transfiguration Church in Star. The parishioners warmly greeted their guests. At each stop, the visitors learnt a considerable amount about the history of our Orthodox Church in Canada.

In 2003, there was a Clergy Synaxis (gathering) in Calgary, Alberta. After its conclusion, the visiting members of the OCA chancery staff were given a tour of the rural Temples in the Edmonton area by the Archpriest Dennis Pihach. These persons included the Protopresbyter Robert Kondratick, David Wagschal and John Mendala. They visited most of the rural Temples, including this landmark Temple, as well as the Holy Trinity Temple in Edmonton on this tour.

Archpastoral visit, 2013

On 19 August, 2013, Bishop Irénée (Rochon) visited the Holy Transfiguration parish on its Altar Feast-day in order to lead the 100th anniversary celebrations of the community. Bishop Irénée was greeted and welcomed by the rector, Archpriest Nikolai Nikolaev. During the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy, the bishop was assisted by Father Nikolai, as well as by Igumen Gerasim (Power), Priest Daniel Freisen, and Deacon Jesse Isaac. After the Divine Liturgy, there was the blessing of water, followed by a Cross-procession around the Temple with the blessing of its 4 exterior sides. Afterwards, there was a celebratory dinner which marked the anniversary.

Visit by diocesan assembly delegates, 2017

On 28 July, 2017, the Archdiocesan Assembly in Edmonton concluded its agenda. Then, in the afternoon and evening, there was a tour provided for the delegates in order to visit some of the historical Temples in rural Alberta northeast of Edmonton. The visits were particularly to those Temples in which Saint Tikhon (Belavin) served and which he had helped to found.

Priest Kolin Berglund, 2018

On 27 May, 2018, the Priest Kolin Berglund of Smoky Lake was assigned to serve this parish.


CEM2336666 137654626661 LCS 1.jpg The Temple after renovations, bell-house, cemetery Cross


Aerial view of Holy Tranfiguration Star and cemetery 2.png Aerial view of the Temple and the cemetery

Holy Transfiguration Cemetery, 1897

The cemetery is found at the land description site SE 27 56 19 W4 in Star, in Lamont County, Alberta. It is on the same property as the Temple and the hall.

Of historical interest is the cemetery beyond the Temple. There are many persons interred in this cemetery who came at the beginning of the immigration. It is also the burial place of the 4 founding families of the Star colony, including that of Ivan Pylypow, one of the 2 initiators of Ukrainian emigration to Canada. Also noteworthy is the shrine within the cemetery area, which was built in the form of a small church by Joseph Pullishy in 1998 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the Star Temple and parish.


Star Ab Cemetery Cross smaller.jpg

Cemetery Cross with blessed flowers and fruits at the Feast-day of the Holy Transfiguration


Star Holy Transfiguration Cemetery Yard.jpg Cemetery (part)


Holy Transfiguration Star Cemetery shrine.jpg Cemetery shrine


CEM2336666 1396107740.jpg Cemetery memorial


Star Holy Transfiguration Cemetery - Unmarked Graves.jpg Cemetery : unmarked graves


Star Cemetery aerial view 2.png Aerial view of the cemetery

 Priests who have served in this parish :
 
 Priest Dmitry Kamnev 			1897
 Priest Mikhail Fekula  			1909	(ordained by Saint Tikhon (Belavin)) 
 	[Because of a robbery, many records were lost.]
 Archpriest Vasyl Ostashek  		1970-1988
 Priest Andrew Morbey   		1988-1990
 Priest Larry Reinheimer   		1990-995
 Priest Evan Lowig   		1996-2000
 Archpriest Nikolai Nikolaev     	2000-2016
 Priest Ryan Tikhon Bishop   		2017-2018
 Priest Kolin Berglund  			2018-2024
 Igumen Vladimir (Lysack)  		2024-____


 Readers who served in the Holy Transfiguration, Star, parish
 
 Noted persons who served as readers, acolytes and choristers include :
 James Kuzyk ; 
 John Melnyk ; 
 Mary Prokopchuk ; 
 Fred Pullishy ; 
 Helen Pullishy ; 
 John Pullishy ; 
 Nancy Pullishy ;
 Verna Waczko ; and others.

Particular parish details

The parish has an active sisterhood.

Services are offered in English and Slavonic.

This parish is part of the Alberta & Northwest Territories Deanery of the Archdiocese of Canada, of The Orthodox Church in America. The dean is Archpriest Vincent Lehr. The bishop is Archbishop Irénée (Rochon).

This parish follows the Old (Julian) Calendar.

The Altar Feast-day of the parish is the Feast of the Transfiguration of Christ, 6/19 August.

In 2025, the pastor of this parish was Igumen Vladimir (Lysack).


Address :

Holy Transfiguration Russo Orthodox Church

Land description site SE27-56-19-W4

Range Road 192 and Township Road 564

Lamont County, Alberta


Mailing address :

Holy Transfiguration Russo Orthodox Church

PO Box 1049

Lamont, Alberta

T0B 2R0



Directions :

Star, Alberta, is located 75 km (47 mi) northeast of Edmonton, and 11 km (7 mi) north of Lamont.

From Edmonton, drive eastwards on Highway #16 (Yellowhead) to Highway #830. Turn left, (north), and drive to Highway #15. Turn right (east), and drive to Highway #831. Turn left (north) and drive 11 km (7 mi). Turn right at Township Road #564. Drive 3 km (2 mi). The Temple is on the left at the junction of the road with Range Road #192.

The Temple is located in Lamont County, at the corner of Range Road #192 and Township Road #564.

From Lamont, drive 11 km (7 mi) north on Secondary Highway #831. Turn right at Township Road #564. Drive 3 km (2 mi). The Temple is on the left at the junction of the road with Range Road #192.

From Highway #45, turn south at Range Road #192. Drive about 3 km (2 mi) south until the junction with Township Road #564. The Temple is at the right at the junction.


Igumen Vladimir (Lysack)

Telephone : 306-794-4443

E-mail : priestmonk@gmail.com


Holy Transfiguration Star 2.png Holy Transfiguration Temple, Star (photo by www.aerialphotograph.ru)

References

Alexandrov, V, “Journey to Canada : A Priest’s Diary”

Archdiocese of Canada : Orthodox Church in America, “The Orthodox Church in Canada : A Chronology” (Ottawa : Archdiocese of Canada, 1988).

A Chronological History of the Archdiocese of Canada, Part I

Cochrane, Kimberly, “Summary about the History of Star” (Star : Holy Transfiguration Orthodox Church of Star, 2013). Article.

“100th Anniversary of Holy Transfiguration Russo-Greek Orthodox Church of Star 1913-2013” (Star : Holy Transfiguration Orthodox Church, 2013). Anniversary Folder, 19 August, 2013.

Lamont County history

“Pride in Progress : Chipman - St. Michael - Star Districts” (Chipman, Alberta : Alberta Rose Historical Society, 1982), pp. 575-576. ISBN : 0-88925-369-2.

The Russian Mission in North America

Tarasar, Constance J, ed., “Orthodox America 1794-1976 : Development of The Orthodox Church in America” (Syosset, NY : The Orthodox Church in America Department of History and Archives, 1975). ASIN : B000ZLZAUE.


Additional information :

Martynowych, Orest, “The Ukrainian Block Settlement in East Central Alberta, 1890-1930, a History

Sametz, William, "My father the priest : the life and times of the Very Reverend Dr. Peter Sametz : founding missionary priest of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada" (Toronto : Hypertex Plus, 2008). ISBN : 9780969670056.

Archdiocese listing

Archdiocese of Canada web-site

Orthodoxwiki article about the Archdiocese of Canada

OCA listing

Orthodox Church in America web-site

Orthodoxwiki article about The Orthodox Church in America

Bishop Nicholas (Ziorov)

Saint Tikhon (Belavin)

Archbishop (Saint) Arseny (Chahovtsov)

Archbishop Alexander (Nemolovsky)

Archbishop Evdokim (Meschersky)

Metropolitan Platon (Rozhdestvensky)

Metropolitan Theophilus (Pashkovsky)

Metropolitan Leonty (Turkevich)

Metropolitan Ireney (Bekish)

Metropolitan Theodosius (Lazor)

Metropolitan Herman (Swaiko)

Metropolitan Jonah (Pauffhausen)

Metropolitan Tikhon (Mollard)

Archbishop Nikon (de Grève)

Archbishop Sylvester (Haruns)

Archbishop Irénée (Rochon)

Bishop Antoniy (Tereshchenko)

Bishop Dimitry (Magan)

Bishop Anatoly (Apostolov)

Ivan Pylypow

Archpriest Vasyl Ostashek

Archpriest Nikolai Nikolaev

Archimandrite Gerasim (Power)

Priest Kolin Berglund

Igumen Vladimir (Lysack)

Ukrainian Canadians

“Alberta Past and Present : Historical and Biographical Church History”

Canada's Historic Places : Russo Orthodox Church of the Transfiguration (Star Edna)

Cemetery names

Findagrave reference to Holy Transfiguration Russo-Greek Orthodox Cemetery, Star, Alberta

Wikipedia article about Star-Edna colony

Wikipedia article about the history of Alberta

Pioneer Churches on the Prairies — Holy Transfiguration Orthodox Church, Star-Edna, Alberta

Pioneer Churches on the Prairies web-site

100th Anniversary of Holy Transfiguration Church, Star, Alberta (19 August, 2013)

Tour of rural Alberta Temples in which Saint Tikhon worshipped (28 July, 2017)

'Ukrainian Centennial Commemoration at Star, Alberta' in "Canadian Orthodox Messenger" (Winter, 1991/1992), p. 2.

‘St Tikhon Orthodox Christian Mission, Lakeland AB’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger” (July, 1993), pp. 3-4.

'A Church of the Pioneers : Holy Transfiguration, in Star, Alberta' in "Canadian Orthodox Messenger" (Winter, 1998/1999), pp. 9-10.

‘Assembly pilgrims visit heritage churches’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger” (Autumn, 2001), pp. 7-8.

‘OCA chancery staff visit historic Alberta churches’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger” (Autumn, 2003), pp. 2-3.