Smoky Lake AB Holy Trinity Russo Orthodox Church and Cemetery 1900

From Canadian Orthodox History Project
Jump to navigation Jump to search


2016.11.26 HolyTrinitySmolyLakeAB small B.jpg

Smoky Lake, Alberta, Church and Cemetery in the Name of the Holy Trinity, 1900


The nickname of this parish is "Toporoutz" (after the home village Toporivtsi).


Prehistory

Most of the settlers of the Smoky Lake area of Alberta, Canada, had originated in villages near the city of Cernăuţi (Chernivtsi) in the Chernivtsi province of Ukraine, which is historically northern Bucovina. This part of Bucovina-Moldavia was of mixed Romanian, Russian, Ukrainian speakers, and it was this part that was severed as one result of the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact between J Stalin and the western powers before World War II.

The early emigrants had left their homelands which at the end of the 19th century were within the Austro-Hungarian Empire. In that region, for several hundred years, there had been a constant oppression of the Orthodox Christian Faith. At this particular time, the Canadian government had sent its agents as sales-promoters to attract would-be future farmers in Western Canada. The main such agent was Dr. Josef Oleskow.

In the 1890s, Slavic immigrants began arriving in Canada from Bukovina and Galicia. The first pioneer to arrive in the Smoky Lake area was Stefan Franko Dwernychuk (†1957) from the village of Toporivtsi (Toporauţi), Sadagora, Bucovina. Toporivtsi is about 24 km (15 mi) north of the city of Chernivtsi (Cernăuţi) in Bucovina. He arrived in 1899 with his parents, Tanasko and Domka Dwernychuk and other relatives. In 1903, Stefan married Maria Starchuk. He opened a store, and he operated the post office.

In the years between 1900 and 1910, many families from the village of Toporoutz arrived and settled in the Smoky Lake area. Families came from other villages, such as Volocha, Ostricha (Ostritza, Ostriţa vel Cliscăuţi), Molodiia (Mologhia vel Plaiul Cosminului) near Chernivtsi, and Rarancha (Rarancze, Rarancea) in Sadagora, as well as from villages in Halychyna (Galicia).

Founding the community 1900, 1903

By 1903, there were over 20 families in the vicinity of Smoky Lake. They became active in organising a parish. The Northwest Territories of Canada granted 30 acres of land to the parish which also purchased another 10 acres alongside for a church and cemetery. Both together are located on the quarter-section of SE 28-57-17-W4, which is 1 km (.5 mi) northwest of the present town of Smoky Lake.

In 1903 and 1904, there were the first burials in the new cemetery.  

In 1903, a meeting was held, and an executive and trustees were elected :

 George Popowich, chairman ; Maria Dwyrnychuk, secretary ; trustees : Stefan Dwyrnychuk, 
 John Ternowy, Andrew Wasylashko, Konastaty Zaharichuk.

From 1903 to 1909, there was a steady increase in the membership of the developing parish, and with the development came many people with various skills and talents.

 The members during these years, who became the founders, included : 
 John Cebuliak ; George Chahley ; John Chibree ; Nikolai Elaschuk ; Tanasko Elaschuk ; Tanasko Gawreletz ; 
 John Gelych ; Ivan Harasem ; Iwan Hnatchuk ; Elia Huculiak ; Semion Korbut ; Nazariy Kotyk ; Tanasko Makarenko ; 
 Elusa Nickolaychuk ; Sam Nickolaychuk ; Metro Pillot ; Tanasko Ponich ; Michailo Porayko ; Wasel Radomsky ;
 Stefan Ratsoy ; John Rusnak ; Nekolai Semeniuk ; Domenty Starchuk ; Wasyl Starchuk ; Yardaty Starchuk ; 
 Nikolai Stogrin ; Stefan Stogrin ; John Strembitsky ; Petro Sucholotosky ; Manoly Waselenchuk 
 (and wives and children).

In 1905, the Priest Jacob Skibinsky travelled from Stary Wostok, Alberta. He visited the parish, and blessed the site for a Temple. He served the first Divine Liturgy on that site. This marked the beginning of the Toporoutz parish.

Immediately, the parishioners began to cut logs on their homesteads and dragged them to the parish property. A sawmill was hired, and the logs for making the 4 walls were squared. The remaining logs were sawn into timbers for other needs. Other necessary materials were purchased in Edmonton and they were freighted to the Pakan Landing by scows. At this time, Pakan was already a townsite, but the town of Smoky Lake did not yet exist. Good roads were mere dreams. Once the materials had been assembled, Edward Anderson of Edmonton was hired as the carpenter-builder.

Construction of the Temple began in 1906, but it was stopped after the raising of the walls because of lack of money to pay for labour. After enough resources were collected, the project was resumed in 1907. The carpenters of the construction included :

 Edward Anderson (who built the walls) ; Michael Holowaychuk and George Chahley, who built the roof and the 
 dome, and Stefan Kolomichuk who made the windows and the doors.  

The main work was completed in 1908. On 15 May, 1908, to the east of the Temple (on what is now Highway #28), a mission named “Mission Kolokrecks” was established by Mr William Leonard, Miss Chase and Miss Weeks. There, lessons were taught in religion, and students learnt the English language (speaking, reading, writing). This mission continued until 1932, and it constituted the beginning of the Smoky Lake community.

On 15 May, 1909, Tanasko Dwernychuk became the first postmaster of the newly-established Smoky Lake Post Office. It was built across the road, to the south of the Temple.

Sanctification of the first Temple, 1909

In 1909, on the Feast-day of the Holy Trinity (that year it was cold), the new Temple was sanctified by Bishop Alexander (Nemolovsky). Like other Orthodox parishes in that district, this parish was initially a missionary one, which was served by monks and priests of the Russian Orthodox Mission (the Diocese of the Aleutian Islands and North America), which later was called the “Metropolia” (Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church of North America).

The first priest to serve in this Temple and parish was the Hieromonk Visarion (Shestakov). The early pioneers believed firmly and held on steadily to their Orthodox Christian Faith. This gave them courage and energy to overcome obstacles and hardships. Their material goods were few and simple ; nevertheless, the people co-operated with each other, and they helped each other in times of need.

The registration of the early land-grant took some time because of the change in civil status. In 1905, the provinces of Alberta and Saskatchewan were created out of the territory that had been called the Northwest Territories.

On 28 March, 1908, the original land acquisition was recorded and confirmed by the Surveyor General of Dominion Lands of the Department of the Interior as being owned by “The Russo Greek Catholic Orthodox Parish of Toporoutz”. However, it cost more time and a further $150 payment to receive the final title to the land on 17 June, 1919 (according to the Public Archives of Alberta, and correspondence of Stephan Dwernychuk between 22 January and 21 December, 1918).

In 1912, a 2-room log residence was built for the priest, just west of the Temple. The structure still stands. Along with this house, there was also a barn with a fenced yard for a cow and other animals to help the priest with his personal sustenance. A well was dug by hand and reinforced with wooden cribbing in order to supply fresh drinking water, and some land was cultivated for a garden.

The first resident priest was the Priest John Puchalsky who arrived in 1912, and then departed to the USA in 1918.

Bell-house, 1916

The bell-house was constructed in 1916 by Peter Rezun. It housed 4 bells which could be heard a good distance away, when they announced the services. Eventually, a kitchen and dining hall were added to the structure. The bells, which are still in use, are labelled :

 Bell 32 : Manoly Waselynczuk. 
 Bell 34 : Wasyl and Iwan Starczuk. 
 Bell 36 : Geordij Popowcz.  
 The fourth, smaller bell is labelled : 1912, Gegossn V, Alfried U, Arnold Geib, Czernowitz.

During 1918, the Canadian Northern Railway line arrived at Smoky Lake, and thereafter the focus of commerce and service shifted from Pakan to Smoky Lake, which then began to grow quickly into a town. On the other hand, the Pakan settlement lost its reason for existence when water transport was abandoned.

On 25 May, 1926, an agreement was signed between the resident Archpriest Andrew Kokolsky and the trustees (Stefan Swyrnychuk, John Rusnak and Kost Zaharichuk) :

 He is to serve in our parish twenty times during the year including the following holidays (Christmas, 
 Epiphany and Easter) for the sum of one hundred dollars ($100.00) yearly, paid in four equal payments.  He is 
 to occupy the house by the church and be provided with fuel.  Also, all the land belonging to the church is at 
 his disposal.  This agreement is good for a period of five years, after which time it may be renewed or 
 changed according to the desire of both parties concerned.  In addition (according to the records of 
 Wasyl Purich), Rev. A. Kokolsky has the rights to charge extra fees for:
 	1.  Burial of adult – $4.00 for himself
 			    - $1.00 for the church
 	2.  Burial of child – $3.00 for himself
 	3.  Marriage        – $4.50 for himself
 			    – $0.50 for the church
 	4.  Baptising       – $0.50 for the church

Early on Holy Saturday, 1928, while the Priest Andrew Kokolsky was still the parish priest, tragedy struck the parish when fire destroyed this first Temple. On the Sunday of the Feast of Pascha, the faithful parishioners (who carried their baskets of paschal foods) gathered around the ash-pit that remained. Father Andrew served the paschal services by the ash-pit, and he blessed the baskets. Afterwards, the parishioners exchanged the paschal greeting of “Christ is risen” before going home. One of the parishioners is remembered to have gone onto the ash-pit and to have knelt and prayed on the spot where the Holy Table had been.


Holy-Trinity-Church-Smoky-Lake First Temple.jpg First Temple

Construction and sanctification of the second Temple, 1928

Immediately, Father Andrew galvanised the reconstruction. He prepared the plans, and he supervised the construction. Construction of a new Temple began immediately, and the present structure was built. Harry Holowaychuk directed the plans and the construction of the present building. This Temple has remained intact and standing thereafter. In this case, Father Andrew personally elevated and installed the large iron Cross which since then has stood on the peak of the main cupola. It remains a local landmark and a symbol of the Orthodox Christian Faith in the Holy Trinity parish in Smoky Lake. For decades afterwards, parishioners could recall how Father Andrew lifted the iron Cross to the very top of the high dome when it was installed, and they continued to tell the story of the event. In that same year, the new Temple was consecrated by Bishop Arseny (Chahovtsov).

Iconostas

After the sanctification of the Temple, the parishioners galvanised their resources towards the establishing a suitable iconostas. They made an agreement with the local, well-known, and respected carpenter, Philip Pawluk (1879-1965) to this end. Philip had apprenticed to a cabinet maker in his native village in [Ukraine]. Once in Canada (he arrived in 1908) , he combined woodworking with artistic skills to become a respected church carpenter, and he became referred to as a master carpenter. His work is recognised in churches throughout east-central Alberta, where his works were installed in both Orthodox and Ukrainian Catholic temples.


HolyTrinitySmokyLakeIconostasSketch 1.png Sketch-plan for the iconostas


SmokyLakeHTRDoorTemplate 2.png Template for the Royal Doors


SmokyLakeHolyTrinityIconostasA 2.png Iconostas


The project was completed in the early 1930s. At that time, icons were acquired (which served for several decades). The iconography of the iconostas was improved by Archpriest John Borcha while he served this parish (1920-1976). He was a trained iconographer.


HolyTrinitySmokyLakeIconsostas 2.jpg Renovated iconostas at Holy Trinity Church


Further construction

In 1945, a new 4-room residence was built by Michael Oleksiuk. It was later modernised with running water, electricity, and propane heating. In 1981, a porch was added, and a storm-door was installed in 2004. Most of the priests who have served this parish have lived in this building.

In the early 1950s, a parish hall was attached to the bell-house by Michael Oleksiuk. The hall was heated by a wood-stove, which was used also for cooking. In 1961, a kitchen, built by Michael Fedoretz, was added to the hall. In 1982, lavatories and a furnace room were added by Steve Brodyk. Later, electricity, natural gas and running water were also installed. The water still comes from the original well, which is now modernised with cement cribbing.

During the 1960s, a “pich” (peech, clay oven) was built by Nick Basaraba, Steve Stogrin, and Steve Cebuliak. Many traditional Ukrainian-style dinners were cooked in this oven by Domka Basaraba, Wasylena Fedoretz, Eva Kretzul, Katie Teslyk, and others.

Move to the Russian Exarchate Diocese of Canada, 1967

During the 1950s and 1960s, there was a period of difficulty in finding sufficient clergy to serve in Canada, and particularly within the “Metropolia”. As a result (as was the case with other parishes), in 1966, the parish of Holy Trinity requested Archbishop Panteleimon (Rudyk) to be received into the jurisdiction of the Russian Orthodox Diocese of Canada, which was a part of the Russian Orthodox Exarchate in the USA.

In 1966, the Archpriest Eugene Bartchewsky was appointed to serve the parish.

After his return to the USSR in 1967, he was succeeded by the Priest Dimitri Sagan until 1968, and then by the Priest Boris Grigori.

Organisation of the Ladies Auxiliary, 1968

In September, 1966, the “Holy Trinity Ladies Auxiliary” was organised officially. The founders were :

 Mary Chahley, Rose Davidowich, Mary Pankew, Domka Stogrin, Pearl Ternoway, Katie Teslyk and Katie Worsulak.

Together with those who joined them and followed them, the ladies played a very important role in the life of the parish. Of course, this had been the case for decades before this ; however, at this time their work became formalised within the parish structure. The ladies organised many special dinners and banquets for greater holy days and special occasions, and they catered many funeral dinners. They also organised many fundraising events, such as perohy suppers, raffles, bingos, and card games in order to supplement the budget for the maintenance of the Temple, the hall and the cemetery. There are many other things which the women did and which they continue to do that are not recorded.

Visit of Metropolitan Filaret (Denysenko), 1969

In November, 1969, Metropolitan Filaret (Denysenko) of Kyiv and Galicia, Exarch of Ukraine for the Russian Orthodox Church, visited Canada and the USA. He made a visitation to Smoky Lake, where he celebrated the Divine Liturgy. He was accompanied by the Archpriest Nikolai Redetsky of Kyiv, the Archpriest Vitaly Politylo of L’viv, and his secretary, John Humeniuk. However, Metropolitan Filaret eventually became known as Patriarch Filaret of Kyiv, the leader of a large schismatic and non-canonical group in Ukraine.

Autocephaly for the Orthodox Church in America, 1970

On 31 March, 1970, the Moscow Patriarchate granted autocephaly to the Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church of North America. The Russian Exarchate of North and South America was discontinued. It was replaced by parish administrations in the USA and in Canada which became known as the Parishes of the Moscow Patriarchate in Canada and the Parishes of the Moscow Patriarchate in the USA.

Vladyka Makary (Svistun), 1970

On 30 June, 1970, the young and energetic Bishop Makary (Svistun) of Uman, Ukraine arrived in Canada to be the Administrator of the Patriarchal Orthodox Parishes in Canada. This gave a new and active interest in Orthodoxy in all the parishes of the patriarchal jurisdiction. Two priests arrived with Bishop Makary, and one of them, the Archpriest John Borcha, was appointed to serve the Holy Trinity Church of Smoky Lake as its resident priest. He served the parish until 1976. It is said that he repainted many of the icons in the Temple.

Vladyka Volodymyr (Sabodan), 1972

On 26 May, 1972, Holy Trinity Church was visited by Bishop Volodymyr (Sabodan) of Chernigov, who had come to Canada on the invitation of Bishop Makary. He was accompanied by the Archpriest John Korol of L’viv, the Archpriest John Chernienko of Kyiv, and the Protodeacon Anatoli Shapoval of Odessa. The parishioners greeted the 2 bishops with the traditional ceremony of bread and salt (as well as flowers), and Father John Borcha welcomed the bishops and priests. A moleben was served, and Bishop Volodymyr (Vladimir) preached a sermon on Orthodoxy and her blessings to those who follow her teachings. Bishop Volodymyr later became the Metropolitan of Kyiv and All Ukraine of the Moscow Patriarchate.

Celebration of 75 years of Orthodoxy in Canada, 1972

On 25 June, 1972, there was a celebration at Holy Trinity Church of the 75th Anniversary of Orthodoxy in Canada. More than 500 people attended the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy which was led by Bishop Makary (Svistun) and assisted by the clergy of the parishes of the Moscow Patriarchate in Canada. In addition, the choir and many parishioners came from Saint Barbara’s Cathedral in Edmonton. After the Divine Liturgy, there was a blessing of the cemetery, which was followed by a dinner and a formal programme of speeches, dances and songs. Bishop Makary eventually became the Metropolitan of Vinnitsia and Mohyliv-Podilsk in Ukraine.

On 13 June, 1976, the Feast of Pentecost and the Altar Feast-day of the Temple, the Divine Liturgy was served by the Mitred Archpriest John Borcha. Afterwards, a marble stone monument was blessed. It is situated on the southeast corner of the property, and it is inscribed on both sides :

 Front :
 Russo Greek Orthodox Cemetery Est. 1903.  First Burial : Maria Harasym 1904.  
 First Postmaster : Tanasko Dwernychuk of Smoky Lake 1909.  Holy Trinity Church Parish of Toporoutz blessed on 
 Green Sunday 1909.
 Back :
 In recognition of the 100th Anniversary 1903-2003.

80th anniversary of Orthodoxy in Canada ; Vladyka Ireney (Seredniy), 1977

In 1977, there was a celebration of the 80th Anniversary of Orthodoxy in Canada at Holy Trinity Church in Smoky Lake. On this occasion, the new bishop for the Parishes of the Moscow Patriarchate in Canada, Bishop Ireney (Seredniy), led the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy. The Priest Peter Kostiuk, the pastor of the parish, greeted Bishop Ireney and the visiting clergy with the bread and salt ceremony, and they presented them with flowers. The choir of Saint Barbara’s Cathedral participated, along with many parishioners. After the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy, there was a picnic-style lunch and a programme of speeches, dances and songs. Bishop Ireney eventually became the Metropolitan of Dnepropetrovsk and Pavlohrad in Ukraine.

Beginning in 1984, a great deal of necessary practical work began in order to do needed repairs and maintenance, and improvements also. This work took many years and considerable money. It was because people were generous givers, because the Women’s Auxiliary made many contributions, and because there was some government grant money available that it could be done. This work involved the Temple itself, the parish hall, the church house and other buildings, and the cemetery. During the installation of a public address system, a home-made candle-snuffer (made from the horn of a cow) was found in the crawl-space under the Temple.

Return to the Archdiocese of Canada, 1993

In 1993, the parish of the Holy Trinity in Smoky Lake returned to the Archdiocese of Canada and to The Orthodox Church in America. The Archpriest Philip Speranza was assigned to be the pastor of Holy Trinity Church and of the several other parishes in the local circuit. It was at this time that the English language began to be used in the services.

In 2001, at the conclusion of the Archdiocesan Assembly Meeting in Edmonton, Alberta, buses of representatives and clergy visited various historical rural parishes, including the Holy Trinity Church in Smoky Lake. The parishioners warmly greeted their guests. At each stop, the visitors learnt a considerable amount about the history of our Orthodox Church in Canada.

In 2003, there was a Clergy Synaxis (gathering) in Calgary, Alberta. After its conclusion, the visiting members of the OCA chancery staff were given a tour of the rural Temples in the Edmonton area by the Archpriest Dennis Pihach. These persons included the Protopresbyter Robert Kondratick, David Wagschal and John Mendala. They visited most of the rural Temples, including this landmark Temple, as well as the Holy Trinity Temple in Edmonton on this tour.


Holy Trinity Church Smoky Lake entrance gate.jpg Entrance to the Temple and to the hall

Centennial anniversary, 2009

On 7 June, 2009, the centennial celebration of the blessing of the Temple was marked. Accordingly, needed renovations were undertaken during the previous 2 years in preparation. The old and corroded metal of the domes was replaced with a new and shiny galvalume metal in July, 2007. Lightning rods were installed at the same time. In August, 2007, the walk-through gate at the Temple was enhanced by a grape-leaf arch.


Temple with new arch S.jpg Temple with new entrance arch


As a commemoration of the 100 years of dedicated Orthodox worship, service and hard work at Holy Trinity Church, a sandstone monument was erected near the Temple. It was sculpted by Mervin Lielish, a local sculptor. The stone was taken from the same section of land on which the Temple rests. On the monument is a plaque of historical information, and it is dedicated by the congregation to the memory of the brave pioneer men and women who settled the area in the early 1900s. Their faith in God, their dedication to prayer and their hard work resulted in the present Temple and its surroundings.


Memorial S.jpg Historical memorial


On Saturday, 2 March, 2013, Bishop Irénée (Rochon) visited Holy Trinity Church in Smoky Lake. Bishop Irénée was greeted by the parish rector, Igumen Gerasim (Power) and by the Dean of Alberta, the Archpriest Phillip Eriksson, along the Priest Vincent Lehr, the Priest Matthew Francis, Protodeacon Nazari Polataiko, Protodeacon Jesse Isaac, Deacon Andrew Applegate, with the Archpriest Nikolai Nikolaev present, and other visiting clergy and faithful.

During the Divine Liturgy, Bishop Irénée (Rochon) ordained Deacon Daniel Friesen to the Holy Priesthood. A reception was held afterwards, where the newly ordained Priest Daniel was greeted. Father Daniel was assigned to serve at Saints Peter and Paul in Dickie Bush, Alberta.


Holy Trinity Divine Liturgy Friesen CS.png Hierarchical Divine Liturgy


Friesen Ordination Group C2S.png Group photo


Friesen Ordination receptionCS.png Reception speech

2016 renovation

In 2016, in addition to the previous work for the centennial, a new foundation was put in place beneath the Temple. First, the whole building was raised up and supported. Then the old foundation was removed, and the new one installed. Then the Temple was settled onto the new foundation.


New foundation 2016 S.jpg Temple renovation in progress


In the afternoon and evening of 28 July, 2017, following the close of the Archdiocesan Assembly in Edmonton, there was a tour provided for the delegates in order to visit some of the historical Temples in rural Alberta northeast of Edmonton, particularly those in which Saint Tikhon (Belavin) worshipped.

On Pentecost Sunday, 27 May, 2018, Deacon Kolin Berglund of Smoky Lake, Alberta was ordained to the Holy Priesthood by Archbishop Irénée (Rochon). The ordination took place during a hierarchical Divine Liturgy in this Temple, in conjunction with the parish's Altar-feast (or "Khram"). He was assigned to serve the parishes of Holy Transfiguration, Star ; Saint Nicholas, Wostok-Bukovina ; Holy Trinity, Sunland ; Saint Nicholas, Desjarlais.


Berg ord5S.png Hierarchical Divine Liturgy


Berg ord10S.png New priest Father Kolin


Berg ord11S.png Group photo

Significant yearly feast-days

The Altar Feast-day of the parish (also called “Hram”) is the Feast of Pentecost, the Descent of the Holy Spirit. It is also called the Feast of the Holy Trinity, and the Green Holidays (“Zoleni Svyata”). It is celebrated 50 days after the Great Feast of Pascha, the Resurrection of Christ from the dead. On this day, the interior of the Temple, the doorways, the bell-house, the gateways and the water-blessing stand are decorated with fresh-cut spring branches of greenery (sometimes even small trees). This has been done annually ever since 1909. Until the 1960s, parishioners would invite other parishioners and friends and neighbours to their homes later in the afternoon for a festal meal However, after the construction of the parish hall in the 1960s, the parishioners have remained together and shared a “pot-luck” meal in the hall.

On the Feast of the Nativity of Christ, after the Divine Liturgy has been served, groups of volunteers visit the homes of other parishioners and sing Christmas carols. These carollers also collect donations for the parish as they travel about. The usual greeting (in Ukrainian and in English) is exchanged frequently : “Christ is born !” “Glorify Him !” This carolling continues for several days.

When it can be co-ordinated, on the Eve of the Feast of Theophany (the Baptism of Christ), a 12-dish lenten dinner is served in the parish hall. This begins after the serving of Vespers and the service of the Blessing of Water. This dinner is a parish community dinner, whereas at the Feast of the Nativity this special lenten meal is served at home with the family. Following this parish dinner, other carols are often sung together. After the Divine Liturgy of Theophany, the homes of the parishioners are blessed.

Priests who have served in this parish

The records of the parish show that more than 29 priests have served the parish during its history :

 1910-1911	Hieromonk Visaron (Shestakov)
 1911-1911	Priest F Pechinsky
 1911-1912	Hieromonk Irodion (Marshalkevich)
 1912-1912	Hieromonk Ignatius (Falowsky)
 1913-1918	Priest John Puhalsky
 1919-1920	Priest Gregory Soroka
 1921-1926	Priest John Chrustawka
 1926-1931	Priest Andrew Kokolsky
 1931-1937	Priest Vasili Woytowich
 1938-1940	Priest Feodosi Taschuk
 1941-1944	Priest Gregory Olynik
 1945-1949	Hieromonk Methodi (Osadchuk)
 1949-1965	Mitred Archpriest John Wasel
 1965-1966	Mitred Archpriest Vitali Bachanovich
 1967-1968	Priest Dimitri Sagan
 1968-1969	Mitred Archpriest Boris Grigori
 1969-1969	Igumen Dimitri (Schur)
 1969-1970	Mitred Archpriest Oleg Kotov
 1970-1976	Mitred Archpriest John Borcha
 1976-1978	Priest Peter Kostiuk
 1978-1984	Priest Arseny Melnyk
 1984-1986	Priest Elia Antoniuk
 1986-1987	Priest Paul Kramarenko
 1987-1989	Priest John Voronko
 1989-1993	Priest Diomitry Sadoviak
 1993-1997	Priest Philip Speranza
 1997-1998	Priest Nicholas Kondratyev
 1999-2012	Priest Vasyl Kolega
 2012-2021	Archimandrite Gerasim (Power)
 2018-2024	Priest Kolin Berglund
 2025-____ Archpriest Vitalie Manoli 


Holy Trinity Smoky Lake 2.png Holy Trinity Temple, Smoky Lake and environs (cemetery to the right)

(photo by www.aerialphoto.ru)

Parish organisations

There are 3 main organisations in this parish.

The parish executive committee and the sisterhood actively work together in directing and organising the life of the parish.

The third organisation is the choir.

Singing and choir-rehearsals have always been a significant element in the life of the parish. The Hieromonk Methodi (Osadchuk), who served the parish from 1945-1949, organised a weekly youth choir rehearsal. He had a small organ with which he helped to train the singers. The singers very much enjoyed this, and one woman commented that Father Methodi even let the young people play the organ. The Archpriest John Wasel, who served the parish from 1949-1965, held weekly Slavonic choir rehearsals. The singers consisted of men, women and youth.

In 1993, the Archpriest Philip Speranza began the use of the English language in services. He had service-books printed, and he had regular rehearsals in order to train the singers to sing in English.

The cantors in the parish have included :

 Marko Lotosky ; Wasyl Teslyk ; Metro Predy ; John Shandro ; Sylvia Chinery.  Mrs. Rose Davidowich, who also 
 served in the sisterhood (Women’s Auxiliary), was a very long-time leader of the singing in this parish.  

The readers in the parish have included :

 Metro Predy ; Bill Fedirchuk ; John Semeniuk ; John Chinery.

The “palamars” (Altar-servers) of the parish have been :

 Stephan Dwyrnychuk ; Theodore Gawreliuk ; Steven Stogrin ; Nick Tkachuk ; John Babichuk ; Garry Fedoretz ; 
 Steven Fedoretz.  


Bellhouse and hall S.jpg Temple, bell-house and hall from the east

Holy Trinity Cemetery of Toporoutz, 1903

Holy Trinity Cemetery, founded in 1903, is believed to be one of the largest Russo-Greek Orthodox cemeteries in Canada. It has an estimated 1,000 burials. Of these, the records are able to identify 886. However, there are very many unrecorded burials. Many of these had wooden Crosses which have disappeared (sometimes through fire because of burning grass). Other markers suffered from the elements and became illegible. Many of the graves are those of infants and children who reposed during the plague of the Spanish Influenza of 1918-1920. The annual memorial service of “provode” is well-attended by the family and friends of those who repose in the cemetery.


Cemetery S.jpg The cemetery


Holy Trinity Church and Cemetery Smoky Lake AB.jpg Holy Trinity Cemetery and the Temple


20170616 SmokyLake Holy Trinity Plaque 2.jpg Historical plaque


See also Saint Michael's Church, North Kotzman

Particular parish details

The services are in English and in Slavonic.

This parish is part of the Deanery of Alberta & Northwest Territories of the Archdiocese of Canada, of The Orthodox Church in America. The dean is Archpriest Vincent Lehr. The bishop is Archbishop Irénée (Rochon).

This parish follows the Old (Julian) Calendar.

The Altar Feast-day of this parish is the Feast of Pentecost (Descent of the Holy Spirit).

In 2025, this parish was served by Archpriest Vitalie Manoli.


Address :

Holy Trinity Russo Orthodox Church

Land description site SE28-59-17-W4

Junction of Highways #855 and #28

Smoky Lake, Alberta

T0A 3C0

E-mail : albumen2000@yahoo.com


President : Gary Fedoretz

Telephones : (780) 446-6837 ; or (780) 456-1696

E-mail : bfedoretz@kingco.ca


Treasurer : Debbie Palichuk

Telephone : (780) 222-2654

E-mail : crunches31@hotmail.com


Directions :

Smoky Lake is located approximately 112 km (70 mi) northeast of Edmonton, and the driving time is approximately 1½ hours.

Drive on Fort Road and Manning Drive NW (Highway #15) past the turnoff for Fort Saskatchewan. Continue straight on, on Highway #825 N and Range Road #224 to Highway #28 E. Turn right onto Highway #28 E, and continue driving towards Smoky Lake. Do not take the early exits to the town.

The Temple is 1 block northwest of the junction of Highway #28 and Highway #855, before entering the town from the north, at SE28-59-17-W4.


Mailing Address :

Holy Trinity Russo Orthodox Church

c/o Archpriest Vincent Lehr, Dean

9930-167 Street

Edmonton, Alberta

T5P 4W7


Archpriest Vincent Lehr, Dean

Telephone : 780-484-9804

Emails : frvincent@sthermans.ca ; priestvincent@gmail.com


Archpriest Vitalie Manoli

640 Allard Blvd SW

Edmonton, Alberta

T6W 2G3

E-mail : vitalie.manoli@gmail.com

References

Archdiocese of Canada — Orthodox Church in America, “The Orthodox Church in Canada : A Chronology” (Ottawa : Archdiocese of Canada, 1988).

A Chronological History of the Archdiocese of Canada, Part I

Dictionary of Ukrainian Canadian Biography of Pioneer Settlers of Alberta (Edmonton : Ukrainian Pioneer Association of Alberta, 1984).

"Patriarchal Parishes of the Russian Orthodox Church in Canada, 100 Years of Orthodoxy in Canada 1897-1997 : Pictorial Memories" (Edmonton : Patriarchal Parishes of the Moscow Patriarchate in Canada, 1997).

Russian Orthodox Church History Book Committee, “Patriarchal Parishes of the Russian Orthodox Church in Canada, Millennium of the Baptism of Rus’” (Edmonton : Russian Orthodox Church History Book Committee, 1988). ISBN: 0-88925-830-9.

The Russian Mission in North America

Tarasar, Constance J, ed., “Orthodox America 1794-1976 : Development of The Orthodox Church in America” (Syosset, NY : The Orthodox Church in America Department of History and Archives, 1975). ASIN : B000ZLZAUE.

"Welcome to the 100th Anniversary of the Holy Trinity Orthodox Church Smoky Lake, Alberta, Sunday, 7 June, 2009" (Smoky Lake : Holy Trinity Church, 2009). [100th Anniversary Booklet]


Additional information :

Archdiocese listing

Archdiocese of Canada web-site

Orthodoxwiki article about the Archdiocese of Canada

Orthodox World listing

OCA listing

Orthodox Church of America web-site

Orthodoxwiki article about The Orthodox Church in America

Patriarchal Parishes in Canada web-site

Orthodoxwiki article about the Russian Orthodox Church in Canada

Saint Tikhon (Belavin)

(Saint) Arseny (Chahovtsov)

Archbishop Alexander (Nemolovsky)

Archbishop Adam Philipovsky

Archbishop Evdokim (Meschersky)

Metropolitan Platon (Rozhdestvensky)

Metropolitan Theophilus (Pashkovsky)

Archbishop Panteleimon (Rudyk)

Archbishop Jonathan (Kopolovich)

Bishop Ioasaph (Skorodumov)

Bishop Job (Tyvoniuk)

Bishop Ireney (Seredniy)

Bishop Kliment Kapalin

Bishop Nikolai (Shkrumpko)

Bishop Paul (Ponomarev)

Metropolitan Theodosius (Lazor)

Metropolitan Herman (Swaiko)

Metropolitan Jonah (Pauffhausen)

Metropolitan Tikhon (Mollard)

Archbishop Sylvester (Haruns)

Archbishop Irénée (Rochon)

Archpriest Wasyl Ostashek

Archpriest Nikolai Nikolaev

Archimandrite Gerasim (Power)

Priest Philip Speranza

Priest Vasyl Kolega

Achimandrite Gerasim (Power)

Priest Kolin Berglund

Archpriest Vitalie Manolie

"Our Legacy : History of Smoky Lake and area" by : (Smoky Lake, AB : Smoky Lake and District Cultural and Heritage Society, first edition, 1983) ASIN : B00442HI6O, 973 pp. (Available at Toronto Public Library & Marshall Wells, as DVD only.)

Alberta Register of Historic Places

Prairiesouls cemetery names

Findagrave entry for Holy Trinity Orthodox Cemetery, Smoky Lake

Canadian Headstones listing of cemetery names

University of Alberta pioneer plaque

University of Alberta article on Holy Trinity Russo-Orthodox Church

Wikipedia article about Smoky Lake, Alberta

History of Alberta

Canadian Encyclopaedia article about Ukrainian Canadians

Pioneer Churches on the Prairies — Holy Trinity Orthodox Church, Smoky Lake, Alberta

Prairie Souls : Franco Stephan Dwernychuk

Franko S Dewernychuk genealogy article on Ancestry web-site

Deacon Daniel Friesen ordained to the Holy Priesthood at Holy Trinity parish (2 March, 2013)

"Become a Pillar of the Holy Trinity Church, Smoky Lake, Alberta" (13 April, 2016) (Includes a history of the parish ; fundraising for the new foundation)

Northern Lights over Smoky Lake Church (3 March, 2017)

Visit of some of the historical Temples in rural Alberta (July, 2017)

Sunday of Orthodoxy in Holy Trinity Parish, Smoky Lake, Alberta (25 February, 2018)

Father Kolin Berglund ordained to the Holy Priesthood in Smoky Lake, Alberta (27 May, 2018)

Patronal Feast in Smoky Lake, Alberta (12 June, 2022)

‘St Tikhon Orthodox Christian Mission, Lakeland AB’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger” (July, 1993), pp. 3-4. (This parish entered later in that year.)

‘Assembly pilgrims visit heritage churches’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger” (Autumn, 2001), pp. 7-8.

‘OCA chancery staff visit historic Alberta churches’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger” (Autumn, 2003), pp. 2-3.



If any details need correcting, or if any information is missing, please send a note to the Contact E-mail : Info@orthodoxcanada.ca