Saskatoon SK Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral 1918

From Canadian Orthodox History Project
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Holy Trinity Cathedral Saskatoon 2.png

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral, 1918


Prehistory

The seed of the Orthodox Christian Faith was sown on Canadian land, not by missionaries (they came afterwards, at the request of the newcomers) but by simple peasants who came from Ukraine, who were searching for a better life, and who established themselves on the Canadian prairies. It is indeed on this simple but, at the same time, deep faith of the Ukrainian peasant-pioneers that the Orthodox Christian Faith began to be established in Canada.

Most of the first Ukrainian settlers came to Canada from 2 regions in Western Ukraine. Many were from “Halychyna” (Galicia). There, they belonged to the Greek Catholic church). Others were from Bukovyna (where they belonged to the Romanian Orthodox Church). The “Halychany” (Galicians), settling in Canada, were visited occasionally by priests of the Roman Catholic Church. However, the Vatican (Roman Catholic Church headquarters) wished to attach these new Canadians to the western form of the Roman Catholic church already in existence in Canada. This would simply assimilate them. The “Bukovinians” arriving in North America usually incorporated themselves into the “Russian Orthodox Mission” which was already in existence. There arose amongst the Ukrainian immigrants a desire to have the possibility of using the Ukrainian language. This desire would have been understood by the “Bukovynians” who had been raised with worship in the Romanian language. At that time in Canada, the language available in the “Russian Mission” was Church Slavonic.

Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral is certainly the first and oldest Orthodox Christian community in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. However, its historical outline published on the internet does not give specific information regarding the actual beginning, apart from the fact that the origin of this parish came from a departure of many people from the Ukrainian Catholic Church in the establishment of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church. One may refer to the article “A Short Historical Outline of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada (UOCC)” by Professor Roman Yereniuk for fuller background information.

In the historical outline, the solitary clue to the first parish activity is the item : “1917- Relocation of Church building from 634-20th Street West to 310 Avenue P South”. The original site of this building was in the “Riversdale” neighbourhood, and the second site was on the edge of the King George neighbourhood. Both these parts of the city were populated by immigrants soon after the beginning of the 20th century. The history of the Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral of Saint George indicates that the first Ukrainian settlers began arriving in Saskatoon in 1910, and that they settled in its outlying areas (such as Riversdale and King George at that time). However, there is no indication that the Holy Trinity community originated there.

Since the Holy Trinity community seems to have developed apart from the Ukrainian Catholics, another alternative for the origin could be possibly the “Independent Greek Orthodox Church” that was associated with the so-called "Metropolitan Seraphim (Ustvolsky)". Its founders, Ivan Bodrug, Cyril Genik, and Ivan Negrych had established many communities in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta.

This movement was a part of the attempt by many to try to live an Orthodox Christian life and not to be in subjugation to the Eastern Catholic Church as had been the case since the 1596 Union of Brest in the Austro-Hungarian Empire and its constituent, Kingdom of Galicia and Ludomeria. Regardless of the difficulty in providing specific and concrete information, there was a pre-existing community which owned a building that was moved in 1917, which is regarded by the existing parish as its predecessor.

Although Holy Trinity Church in Saskatoon may not have been a part of this specific Independent Greek Orthodox Church, the founders of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church were responding to a similar situation, that is, the perceived need to be able to worship as Orthodox Christians in the language used by the people.

However, it was not the only entity acting in such a manner. Indeed, there were many parishes across the prairies of Western Canada which belonged to, and were served by the “Russian Orthodox Mission in North America” (which had been struggling to nurture the immigrants to Canada since 1898). Although the “Independent Greek Church” had been withering away already since 1908, the missionary priests, who served all the Orthodox Christian communities which were springing up everywhere, were travelling about in pastoral circuits in their attempts to provide spiritual nourishment to the settlers.

Founding of the “Mohyla Bursa”, 1916

In September, 1916, in Saskatoon, under the rectorship of Wasyl Swystun, the “Mohyla Institute” was established by and for Orthodox Christian students.

This “bursa” (student residence) was formed and established through a student-driven initiative (based on examples in Winnipeg, Manitoba, and Edmonton, Alberta), and life in such a residence included daily prayers.

It is very difficult to consider that this could happen with no Orthodox Christian worshipping community in the city.

Founding of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada, 1918

On 18-19 July, 1918, a confidential conference of disenchanted lay Roman Catholics from Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta created a Ukrainian Orthodox Brotherhood. Its goal was to organise the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada. Although the Ukrainian settlers who took part in the organisation of this Church body were not theologians, they were aware of the canon law that a Church body cannot exist without a bishop.

Thus, the brotherhood contacted Archbishop Alexander (Nemolovsky), an ethnic Ukrainian in the “Russian Orthodox Mission in North America”, and from 1916, its first resident bishop in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Initially, he had accepted to become the temporary bishop of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada (UGOCC) and to preside at its first Sobor ; but later, he refused (in part because of pressures concerning this in the USA).

First Sobor of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada, 1918

Nevertheless, the first “Sobor” (assembly) took place in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, on 28 December, 1918, without the presence of a bishop. This assembly led to the establishment of the first seminary in Saskatoon. Its later descendent in Winnipeg, Manitoba, was Saint Andrew's College (1932).

Second Sobor of the UGOCC ; Metropolitan Germanos (Shehadeh), 1919

The second Sobor was held on 27 November, 1919, in the presence of the Antiochian Metropolitan Germanos (Shehadeh) living in the USA at the time, and who accepted to lead the UGOCC until the time it would have its own bishop. He headed the Church for 5 years, until 1924.

Founding of the Holy Trinity Ukrainian Greek Orthodox parish, 1918

At the same time as the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church was being founded, the pre-existing community reorganised itself to become Holy Trinity Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church in Saskatoon.

The first parish council was elected in 1918, and its members included :

 Hawrylow Slipchenko ; Pavlo Slipchenko ; Julian Stechishen ; Michael Stechishen ; Wasyl Swystun

In 1919, the first theological seminary was opened in Saskatoon, in association with this community and the developing administration of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada.

During the first years, the parish was served by Archpriest Lazar German, and by Archpriest Mykola Kopachuk.

Priest Semen Sawchuk

In 1921, Priest Semen Sawchuk became the pastor of Holy Trinity Church, and he served the Divine Liturgy in Holy Trinity parish for the first time during that year.

In 1923, the Olha Kobylianska Ukrainian women's group (sisterhood) was founded in Holy Trinity Church, Saskatoon.

Ukrainian Self-reliance League, 1927

In 1927, the Ukrainian Self-reliance League was founded. Independent of the UGOCC, its purpose was to support the Church and parish communities (in many of which a branch was formed). It also was closely associated with the organisations of women and of youth.

In 1935, an auditorium was purchased by paying the taxes ($462.62) owed by the previous owner. The parish outline does not give the address, although it might be the current address.

In October, 1949, Archpriest Dr. Semen Sawchuk blessed the cornerstone of the new Temple which was being constructed at the corner of Avenue J and 20th Street.

Opening the new Temple, 1952

In November, 1952, Metropolitan Ilarion (Ohienko) blessed the official opening of the new Temple.

In 1957, the iconostas was constructed by Mr. Tkach, a woodworker from Smoky Lake, Alberta.

Opening the new auditorium, 1962

In 1962, a new auditorium, parish hall and office were constructed in a single building on 20th Street, to the east of the Temple.


HTUOCSexteriorauditorium 2.png New auditorium, parish hall, office


HTUOCSauditorium 2.png Holy Trinity Cathedral auditorium

Cathedral Status, 1963

In 1963, the parish was elevated officially to the dignity of cathedral status, since it was in that year that Bishop Boris (Yakovkevych) was elected and assigned to serve as the first Bishop of Saskatoon, and Vicar-Bishop to the Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada (at that time, Metropolitan Ilarion (Ohienko)).

Beginning of All Saints Church, 1967

In 1967, while Father Oleh Krawchenko was the rector of the Petro Mohyla Institute, the Mission of All Saints was begun in Saskatoon.

50 years, 1968

In 1968, the 50th anniversary celebrations of Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada were held in Saskatoon, with focus on Holy Trinity Cathedral. On this occasion, a special 50th anniversary medal was introduced and distributed.

Ilarion Orthodox Residence begun, 1972

In 1972, the Ukrainian Self-Reliance Association (TYC) of Saskatoon initiated the idea of building a Ukrainian Orthodox Senior Citizens home in Saskatoon.

At a combined meeting of both parishes, Holy Trinity Cathedral and All Saints, and both branches of the UAWC, held on 15 April, 1973, a resolution was made to approve the project to build a senior's home for individuals of the Ukrainian Orthodox faith. From then, representatives of the 4 groups prepared the process of planning and construction. Eventually, it was named “Ilarion Orthodox Residence”.

In 1977, 4 additional [ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chandelier chandeliers] were installed in the nave of the cathedral.

Opening of the Ilarion Orthodox Residence, 1978

By early 1978, construction of the first phase of the Ilarion Orthodox Residence was completed.

On 24 June, 1978, the Ilarion Orthodox Residence was officially opened and blessed.

Bishop Wasyly (Fedak), 1978

In July, 1978, Bishop Wasyly (Fedak) was ordained to the Holy Episcopate, and he was assigned to serve as Bishop of Saskatoon, and Vicar-Bishop of Metropolitan Andrew (Metiuk).

In this same year, 2 chandeliers were installed in the Altar.

Federal incorporation of the UOGCC, 1982

The Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada was founded as the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada in 1918, and it was federally incorporated by an act of the House of Commons in May, 1982.

In 1987, a renovation project was undertaken in preparation for the Millennium of the Baptism of Rus' in Kyiv (988). This included the provision of new icons.

Millennium celebration, 1988

In 1988, celebrations of the Baptism of Rus' in Kyiv were held in Saskatoon. It was at this time that the statue of Saint-Prince Volodymyr (Vladimir) was blessed. It is prominently displayed on the north side of the cathedral Temple.


Holy Trinity Cathedral Saskatoon from north 2.png Holy Trinity Cathedral : Statue of Saint Prince Vladimir (Volodymyr)


Bishop Yurij (Kalistchuk), 1989

In 1989, Bishop Yuriy (Kalistchuk) was ordained to the Holy Episcopate, and he was assigned to serve as Bishop of Saskatoon, and Vicar-Bishop to the metropolitan of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada.

On 17 December, 1989, Bishop Yurij (Kalistchuk) was enthroned as Bishop of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, and Vicar-Bishop (assistant) to the metropolitan in the Central Eparchy.

Change of name of the UGOCC, 1990

In 1990, the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada was officially renamed “The Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada” (UOCC) by an Act of the Parliament of Canada.

Acceptance by the Patriarchate of Constantinople, 1990

In 1990, under the leadership of Metropolitan Wasyly (Fedak), the 18th Sobor of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada in Winnipeg decided to enter into Eucharistic Union [which means in this case “to be in communion with”, “to be able to serve the Divine Liturgy together with", "to be a part of the canonical Orthodox Church"] with the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople (Istanbul).

This decision came after a significant dialogue with the Church of Constantinople. This act brought the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada into the full communion of the canonical Orthodox Church. The decree of Patriarch Demetrius (Papadopoulos) recognised the Church’s internal autonomy under its metropolitan, and it justified the reception of the UOCC under the Patriarchate’s protection on the basis of the historical headship of the Church of Constantinople in Ukraine.

This decision changed the relationship with the other Orthodox dioceses and parishes in Canada in a positive way.

75th anniversary of the UOCC and of Holy Trinity Cathedral, 1993

In 1993, Holy Trinity Cathedral marked the 75th anniversary of its foundation in the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada, which likewise celebrated its 75th anniversary during the same year.

In addition, the Ukrainian Women's Association of Canada (Olha Kobylianska branch) marked its 60th anniversary.

Extraordinary Sobor in Saskatoon, 2008

In 2008, an extraordinary assembly (sobor) of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada was convened at Holy Trinity Cathedral in Saskatoon. At this assembly (sobor), 2 bishops were elected to serve the UOCC.

Bishop Ilarion (Rudnyk) was elected to become Bishop of Edmonton and the Western Eparchy.

Bishop Andriy (Peshko) was elected to become Bishop of Saskatoon, and Vicar-Bishop to the metropolitan in the Central Eparchy.

Further renovations

Between 2016 and 2019, further renovations were undertaken in the parish. Stained glass window icons of various saints were installed in their order. The icon of the “Canadian Mother of God” with angels was installed in the choir balcony.

Centennial of the UOCC, 2018

In 2018, the 100th anniversary of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada and also of Holy Trinity Cathedral were marked at an extraordinary sobor (assembly) at the cathedral in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.

The purpose of the sobor was to celebrate 100 years of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada. The celebrations were attended by Ukrainian Orthodox faithful from across Canada and beyond.

The Sobor began on Thursday, 9 August, 2018, with a Hierarchical Divine Liturgy in the Chapel of Saint Petro Mohyla Institute, presided by Bishop Andriy (Peshko) of the Eastern Eparchy, with the responses sung by the Clergy led by Father Michael Lomaszkiewicz. This was followed by an All-Canada Clergy Conference.


CentennialConferenceSaskatoon 2.png Centennial Clergy Conference


All gathered for Vespers at the Mohyla Institute Chapel and this was followed by a wine and cheese reception as the delegates and guests registered for the Extraordinary National Council.

The celebrations continued for a year.

2020-2021 Coronavirus-19 virus restrictions on parishes

In early 2020, the Covid-19 virus made its appearance in Canada, and it quickly became a world-wide pandemic. Because of the rules governing gatherings that were laid down by the provincial and city governments, the cathedral stopped any further services after 8 March, 2020. Including the rules regarding social distancing, the decreasing numbers permitted for any gathering, and the considerations regarding the health of all concerned, this and other parishes were required to close for a time.

As elsewhere, there was some controversy about the legal requirements.

Election of Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk), 2022

Election of a nominee by the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada

On 15-19 June, 2022, the 24th Sobor of the Ukrainian Orthodox of Canada was convened "on-line". This conference-meeting was convened thus instead of convening physically (as customarily) in Winnipeg, Manitoba. There were 6 cathedrals in Canada where this meeting took place simultaneously through a computer-network : in Winnipeg, Manitoba (Holy Trinity Metropolitan Cathedral) ; Vancouver, British Columbia (Holy Trinity Cathedral) ; in Edmonton, Alberta (Saint John's Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral) ; in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (Holy Trinity Cathedral) ; in Toronto, Ontario (Saints Vladimir and Olga Cathedral) ; in Montréal, Québec (Saint Sophie Cathedral).

There was a total of 205 delegates, which was near the average attendance for such sobors.

In the course of the work of the Sobor, there was the necessary election in order to nominate to the Holy Synod of the Church of Constantinople a candidate for election as Archbishop of Winnipeg and Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada, who would succeed the Retired Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk).

There were 3 candidates who were considered : Archbishop Job (Getcha), Bishop Ilarion (Rudnyk), and Bishop Andriy (Peshko). The final choice of the members of the sobor was Archbishop Job (Getcha). He had received more than the minimum required 51% of the votes, and there was no subsequent voting required.

The election by the Sobor (Assembly) of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada then had to be confirmed by the Holy Synod of Bishops of Constantinople (as is described in the Consistory By-laws).

Upon having received the nomination (with accompanying documents) from the Sobor of the UOCC, the Holy Synod of the Church of Constantinople elected Vladyka Ilarion (Rudnyk) to become Archbishop of Winnipeg and Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Canada.

The Holy Synod of the Church of Constantinople elected Archbishop Job (Getcha) to become Metropolitan of Pisidia, in west-central Türkiye (Turkey), north of Lycia, and east of Ephesus.

Confirmation of election in Constantinople/Istanbul, 2022

On 29 August, 2022, Vladyka Ilarion (Rudnyk) was at the Phanar in Constantinople for the purpose of the first confirmation of the election in June, 2022. He co-served the Divine Liturgy with Patriarch Bartholomew (Archontonis) in the Cathedral of Saint George at the Phanar.

Enthronement as Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada, 2022

On Saturday, 19 November, 2022, at 9:30 a.m., in Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral in Winnipeg, Manitoba, the Enthronement Hierarchical Divine Liturgy was served. Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk) presided at the Divine Liturgy. He was assisted by Bishop Andriy (Peshko), many priests, several deacons, subdeacons and Altar-servers. Present also were Metropolitan Archbishop Sotirios (Athanassoulas), Exarch of Canada for the Patriarchate of Constantinople, and Retired Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk), Former Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada.

Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk) at the Phanar, Istanbul, 2023

On Sunday, 2 July, 2023, Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew (Archontonis) was present and praying during the Divine Liturgy at Saint George's Cathedral in the Patriarchate compound. He gave the blessing that Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk) preside ("horostasia") over the Divine Liturgy. Metropolitan Job (Getcha) of Pisidia, Bishop Athenagoras (Ziliaskopoulos) of Nazianzos, and the Honourable Roman Nedilskyi, General Consul of Ukraine in Constantinople were also present and praying with the congregation of the Faithful.

Change of calendar for the UOCC, 2023

On 1 December, 2023, in accordance with the resolutions of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada, Metropolitan Ilarion II (Rudnyk) announced that, effective that day, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada moved to use the New (Revised Julian) Calendar. He allowed that for a brief period of time, a parish might remain on the Old (Julian) Calendar.

It seems that subsequently, John's Cathedral in Edmonton, Alberta, was the first to adopt the New (Revised Julian) Calendar.

However, a previously-existing group of persons began to encourage resistance to the immediacy of this change. It was their understanding that the process would be determined ultimately and finally at the next general sobor of the UOCC. Therefore, on 16 December, 2023, Metropolitan Ilarion issued a formal letter concerning the situation, together with a letter of support sent to him by his predecessor (Retired Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk)). He called the resisters to repentance.

Parish organisations

As do many other parishes, this parish includes special service groups, such as :

Ukrainian Self-reliance League of Canada

Ukrainian Women's Association of Canada

Ukrainian Orthodox Youth


Clergy of the parish, 1918 to 2023

 Archpriest Lazar German ; Archpriest Mykola Kopachuk ; Archpriest Semen Sawchuk ; Archpriest Wasyl Kudryk ; 
 Archpriest Kornell Krystiuk ; Archpriest Stepan Hrebeniuk ; Archpriest Yeronem Hrycyna ; 
 Archpriest Konstantyn Zhelishkevych ; Archpriest Toma Kowalishen ; Archpriest Joseph Triska ; 
 Archpriest Volodymyr Sluzar ; Archpriest Michael Bodnarchuk ; Archpriest Franko Kernisky ; 
 Archpriest Dr. Hryhoriy Udod ; Protopresbyter Maxim Olesiuk ; Taras Krochak ; Protopresbyter Andriy Teterenko ; 
 Archpriest Demjan Hohol ; Archpriest Taras Makowsky

Parish particular information

This parish is the cathedral of the Saskatoon Vicariate, in the Saskatoon Region), of the Central Eparchy of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada. The bishop is Metropolitan Ilarion II (Rudnyk). There is no Vicar-Bishop at this time.

This parish cares also for Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Church, Smuts, Saskatchewan.

This parish follows the Old (Julian) Calendar.

The Altar Feast-day of this parish is the Feast of the Descent of the Holy Spirit, Pentecost.

In 2024, the parish priest is Archpriest Taras Makowsky.


Address :

Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral

306, Avenue J South

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

S7M 1Z9

E-mails htuoc@sasktel.net

Telephones : (306) 244-7466 ; (306) 931-8595 ; (306) 652-1364

Web-site : https://orthodoxsaskatoon.org/

Facebook


Mailing address :

Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral of the Holy Trinity

919-20th Street West

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

S7M 0Y5


By bus : Consult Saskatoon Transit.

Saskatoon may be accessed by various airlines through the John G Diefenbaker Saskatoon International Aeroport.

Saskatoon may be accessed by railway through VIARail.

There is interurban bus service available within Saskatchewan, and with service to Edmonton, Alberta.


Archpriest Taras Makowsky

Mobile : (306) 244-7466

E-mail : bigmak@sasktel.net

References

A brief History of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada

Parish history original article

Yereniuk, Professor Roman, “Short Historical Outline of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada” (UOCC)


Additional information :

Bush, Peter, “The Independent Greek Church in Canada, 1903–1912 : A Middle Ground on the Canadian Prairies between Ukrainian Immigrants and Presbyterianism” (Hungarian Journal of English and American Studies, Vol.28, No 2 (2 December, 2022))”.

“Collection of Material Relating to the 50th Anniversary of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada, 1918-1968” (Winnipeg : Consistory of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada, 1968).

Sametz, William, “My father the priest : the life and times of the Very Reverend Dr. Peter Sametz : founding missionary priest of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada” (Toronto : Hypertex Plus, 2008). ISBN : 9780969670056.

Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral of the Holy Trinity, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan parish listing

Orthodox World listing

Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada web-site

Central Eparchy of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada

Wikipedia article about the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada

Orthodoxwiki article about the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada

Saint Petro Molyla Institute, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

Ukrainian Orthodox Church of All Saints, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

Ilarion Ukrainian Orthodox Residence, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

Church of Constantinople web-site

Orthodoxwiki article about the Church of Constantinople

Patriarch Bartholomew (Archontonis)

Metropolitan Germanos (Shehadeh)

Metropolitan John (Theodorovych)

Bishop Mstyslav (Skrypnyk)

Metropolitan Ilarion I (Ohienko)

Metropolitan Michael (Khoroshy)

Metropolitan Andrew (Metiuk)

Metropolitan Wasyly (Fedak)

Metropolitan John (Stinka)

Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk)

Metropolitan Ilarion II (Rudnyk)

Bishop Andriy (Peshko)

Ukrainian Museum of Canada

Orthodoxwiki list of Orthodox parishes in Saskatchewan

List of towns in the former Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria

Bibliography of Writings about Ukrainians in Canada at the Canadian Museum of History

Encyclopaedia of Ukraine history of the UOCC

Encyclopaedia of Ukraine article about Saskatchewan

The Canadian Encyclopaedia article about Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

Video : 100th anniversary of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada (2018)

Saskatoon Star Phoenix : Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral installs new icon for Centenary project (with video) (23 July 2018)

CTV News : Ukrainian Orthodox Holy Trinity Cathedral vandalised (23 June 2020)

Enthronement of Bishop Ilarion (Rudnyk) as Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada (19 November, 2022)

Nativity Epistle of Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudyk) of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada (7 January, 2023)

Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk) announces Change of Calendar (1 December, 2023)

Nativity Epistle of the Episcopate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada in 2023-2024