Sandy Lake MB Saint Nicholas Orthodox Church and Cemetery 1900
Sandy Lake, Manitoba, Church and Cemetery of Saint Nicholas, 1900
Prehistory
The main early settlers near Sandy Lake, Manitoba, Canada, who arrived just before 1900 and who constituted this parish, were mostly from the area that became the Ternopil Oblast (Ternopil province) in what is now Ukraine. Before World War I, this region was a part of the Kingdom of Galicia and Ludomeria, which was itself a constituent crown-land of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. This region of Western Ukraine is generally called "Galicia", or "Halychina".
Dmytro Derhak was one of the founding members of the first Orthodox Temple in Sandy Lake, Manitoba. This, the “pioneer church”, was built on Derhak property in 1900, but it then burnt down in 1953. The Temple was rebuilt on the present site, and on higher ground. Dmytro’s father, Andrei Derhak, was a choir master in the village of Panivtsi (Panovczy', Panovczy, Paniowce, Panivtsi), in what is now the Ternopil Oblast in Ukraine. This village is in the Borshchiv County, not far north of the Dniester River, which is the border with the Chernivtsi Oblast. This region has extremely fertile and productive soil. It is also a region in which there has been a lengthy tension between the Orthodox and the Ukrainian Catholics (Uniats), mainly because of Polish-Austrian political pressures. In the 19th century, the area inhabited by Ruthenians (as the Ukrainians were called in those days), was divided between the Russian and the Austr-Hungarian Empires. Austria had already taken Galicia after the partition of Poland in 1772. More territory was later added, including what became the Duchy of Bukovina. From 1815, the former Polish possessions of Austria were known as the Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomeria. These pressures came about largely because of the conquests and because of the political policies which put pressure on Orthodox Christians to become Roman Catholics.
Although it may not have been the case with the Derhak family, there were other families who came to Canada from the same region as a result of the enticements of the Government of Canada as conveyed there by Dr. Josef Oleskow.
Founding of the parish, 1900 ; pioneer cemetery, 1902
Andrei Derhak had reposed in the Lord some time before his descendants emigrated to Canada. Dmytro was also a reader (a "dyak"), and he continued to use his talent in Canada when Saint Nicholas Church near Sandy Lake was built. (The word “dyak” has its root-meaning in the Greek word for “deacon”, and its root-meaning is “slave”, “servant” or “service”.)
Dmytro was naturalised as a Canadian in 1906. In addition to raising his family, he also taught his son, Ivan, the Divine Liturgy, and how to read and write, as there were no schools in the area at the time. Dmytro was a very stern, but loving and much-respected father and grandfather. Thus, as had been the case in Ukraine, so it was in Sandy Lake, Manitoba, that Dmytro became the Orthodox pillar of light and knowledge for the Derhak family, and for the village. It was evident in the way he served as a dyak, and in how he lived his Christian life. After his repose, his son, Ivan, took over his duties ; and after Ivan, Dmytro's grandson, Steven, was also a dyak. This makes a total of 4 generations of readers in 1 family.
Pioneer cemetery
The very first site of the community was at a pioneer cemetery established earlier in the 19th century. It is situated approximately 3.5 km (2.2 mi) northwest of the village of Sandy Lake. Access to the cemetery was and is very difficult. It can only be reached from the road running east-west that is approximately 1 km north of the cemetery. The access road leading south to the cemetery is steep, but it is maintained. The top of the hill allows for a panoramic and beautiful view.
The first burials in this cemetery were from Métis and French-Canadian families. Then, when the Orthodox Christians arrived, they became the principal users of this cemetery.
Although local Orthodox Christian settlers had begun to pray together regularly by 1900, the first, small, log-built Temple (better described as a chapel) was established on this land by 1902. It remained in use for about a decade.
At about the same time as this Temple was being established, within the settlement of Sandy Lake itself the Holy Ghost Ukrainian Catholic church was being established. The Saint Michael Ukrainian Orthodox Church was not established in the village until the 1920s.
In 1903, the first parish council (committee) included :
Olksa Burdeny ; Dmytro Derhak ; Hnat Desiatnyk ; Safroni Gregorash ; Evan Klym ; Melko Lewandoski ; Wasyl Mudry ; Evan Philipation ; Evan Yakowenko ; Evan Yarema ; Yurko Yarema.
Then, in 1911, the chapel was moved 2.5 km (1.5 mi) to the west, on the land site description : NW 16-18-20 W1. There, a new cemetery was soon established. Even with this new cemetery, the old cemetery continued to be used by the parishioners and others until 1943.
First Temple, 1911 ; new cemetery, 1911
When the re-construction of the chapel and the construction of the extension were undertaken, in 1911, the parishioners all gave of their time, skills and resources in order to accomplish this. They gave sacrificially despite their poverty. Indeed, many gave not only $30.00 (a very large sum at that time), and 10 boards as well, but they also offered their labour, money, time, lumber, paint, nails, tools. Thus they showed their serious love for the Lord and for the House of the Lord.
The head carpenter was Onofrey Slashinsky. He was assisted by Dmytro Derhak ; John Klym (married to Dmytro Derhak's sister Tatiana) ; Matthew Shindruk ; Jacob Prokopchuk ; John Rudiak, and John Philipation.
The icons of this Temple were prepared by John Wasel in Winnipeg.
Because the Temple was and is north of the village, it received the nickname “the North Church”.
On 19 November, 1913, the first marriage to be solemnised in the new Temple was that of Teenie Shindruk and Philip Coulson. It was blessed by Priest M Hunchak.
Father M Hunchak also baptised the first infant in the Temple itself. This was Annie Mizenchuk.
Between 1900 and 1917, services were offered about once per month by priests who were serving other communities as well. Most of the priests travelled from the Holy Ascension Monastery in Sifton, Manitoba.
The main clergy to serve this community at this time included :
Priests Ivan Bodrug ; Gabriel Tymchuk ; Ivan Danylchuk ; D Pynovsky ; M Hutnakovich ; John Kushvara ; M Hunchak ; Elisei Lilikovich.
In this photo may be seen the extended porch or narthex. This was, in fact, the original small chapel that had been incorporated into the larger structure
Amongst the founders of the parish were :
Ivan (John) Klym ; Dmytro Derhak ; Matthew Shindruk ; Jakob Prokopchuk ; Ivan (John) Rudiak ; Ivan (John) Philipation.
From those early days, this parish was a sort of central hub from which other (mostly rural) communities were served. For some time, the parish had a residence. It was part of an active network which involved the city of Winnipeg (to which many descendants of the parish families moved), and also the Holy Ascension Monastery at Sifton. Because Sandy Lake is also from the early days a place for summer vacations, many people have had summer cottages near the lake, hence enabling them to visit the parish of Saint Nicholas when there were services.
Bell-house, 1917 ; Parish presbytery, 1917-1949 ; various priests
In 1917, the parishioners constructed a free-standing bell-house nearby the Temple.
In 1917, the parishioners also constructed a house for a priest, and from that time, the parish had resident priests. These included :
Priests Kolodiuk ; Ivanoyko ; Damian Krehel ; Antony Tereschenko ; Petro Oleniuk ; Konstantin Bilych ; Stefan Verbovy.
Archpastoral visit : Vladyka Arseny
In the 1930s, Bishop Arseny (Chahovtsov) of Winnipeg and Canada made an archpastoral visit to the parish of Saint Nicholas. He served the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy with 4 priests. A local Anglican cleric was present on the occasion. Various church-banners, and several flags (including the Union Jack) were carried in procession.
Archpastoral visit by Bishop Arseny (Dmytro Derhak stands at the extreme right.)
Service by "circuit" priests
After the sale of the presbytery in 1949, there were again travelling clergy who served the parish. These came from Winnipeg or Sifton in Manitoba, or from Stenen in Saskatchewan. These included :
Priests Evasiuk ; Bondarchuk ; Chewaruk ; Glitzky ; Ignaty Falowsky ; Peter Tokaruk ; Antony Hurowsky.
Archpriest Evfimy Moseychuk
Beginning in 1941, Archpriest Efimy Moseychuk began to serve the Saint Nicholas, Sandy Lake parish. He served the parish on a regular basis (along with other parishes he cared for), as well as returning for services of special need. He continued to serve the parish thus (except for 2 years) until 1979, when he retired. He travelled from Winnipeg to do this.
Father Yoachim V Efimy Moseychuk (born in 1900, and a graduate of the Sifton Pastoral School) known for his distinctive kindness, spoke English and Ukrainian, and he was ready to use either language. Furthermore, he knew the Divine Liturgy by heart in the Slavonic Language which was customarily used at that time. It was reported that the liturgical books were open in the Altar, but he never turned the pages. Some have such a gift. In addition, when someone would attend who spoke only English, he would be ready and able to give the homily in English.
Other Priests
From 1963-1965, the parish was served by :
Priests Urbanowitz ; Joseph Homik ; Evgeniy Showheniuk ; Michael Andruchow.
Priest Evan Lowig ; Protopresbyter Mirone Klysh
After the retirement of Father Moseychuk in 1979, Priest Evan Lowig served the parish (along with several others) while he lived in Winnipeg. Father Mirone Klysh also served periodically from Winnipeg.
Archpriest Robert S Kennaugh ; Archpriest Gregory Scratch
Father Mirone Klysh was succeeded by Archpriest Robert Kennaugh, who also served Saint Nicholas Church in Narol, Manitoba ; and he was followed by the Archpriest Gregory Scratch in both parishes, beginning in 2012.
1930s : Great Depression ; local tensions
With the arrival of the 1930s, there began the "Great Depression" which affected the whole country (and the whole continent). Throughout the Prairie Provinces, there was added the disaster of the great and extended drought. These events brought some pressures to the region, pressures that included the migration of people.
Rural depopulation
Furthermore, by this time, the improvement in farm machinery was reducing the number of people required to operate a farm (whether subsistence or commercial), and people began to move to the cities. The improvement in machinery also enabled the consolidation of farms into larger and larger entities (the earlier days of corporation farming).
Ukrainian Orthodox parish of Saint Michael
In addition to these elements, the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada opened the Parish of Saint Michael in the village of Sandy Lake during this decade. The Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada had been established in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, in 1918. Because of its particularly Ukrainian national character, there began to be felt some tensions amongst the local Ukrainian Faithful, as some began to be labelled as "Russian" because they used Church Slavonic instead of Ukrainian in the Church Services.
First parish hall, 1951
The parish presbytery, which was sold in 1949, was transported away to a farm in Elphinstone. Then, in 1951, the parishioners constructed a parish hall in which to hold parish socials and fundraising activities. Until that construction, the parishioners were renting a hall in the village for these events. Marion Andrejow was the head carpenter for the construction of the hall.
First parish hall at Saint Nicholas, Sandy Lake
Steven Derhak was the president of the parish for over 30 years, and cantor (dyak) for more than 25 years. Steve was very devoted to the Saint Nicholas Orthodox Church.
Second Temple, 1953
In 1953, the original Temple of 1911 was struck by lightning, caught fire, and was burnt. Immediately, the parishioners galvanised their resources, and they quickly replaced the destroyed Temple with a newer style timber-frame structure (rather than logs) over a basement. The new Temple was on the present site, on higher ground than the first Temple.
The Temple had an oil-fuelled furnace installed (instead of the previous wood-fired heater). The bell-house which had been constructed earlier remained intact, and still stands near the Temple.
To the south of the Temple, there stands a large-size Cross, not dissimilar to the one at Holy Trinity Sobor in Winnipeg. It had been moved from the site of the Temple which burnt. There, outdoor services (including the blessing of holy water and the serving of molebens) are offered from time to time. The iconostas of the Temple was constructed by Metro Lozinski of Sifton, Manitoba. The icons were prepared by Jacob Maydanyk of Winnipeg. The interior of the Temple was painted by W J Sianchuk (a teacher in the Martindale School). The pews were made by Henry Semanchuk of Saint Nicholas Church in Narol, Manitoba. The original stuccoing of the exterior was done by a Winnipeg contractor.
Sanctification of the Second Temple, 1962
On 10 June, 1962, the completed Temple was sanctified by Bishop Kiprian (Borisevich) of Philadelphia and the Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania. At that time, he was the Administrator of the Archdiocese of Canada. On this occasion, Vladyka Kiprian was assisted by Archpriest Evfimy Moseychuk, Archpriest Feodor Giliawsky, and Archpriest Evgeniy Fetchina.
Procession with Bishop Kiprian (Borisevich) at the sanctification of the Temple
In 1976, the Temple was re-stuccoed by Andrew Stasenko of Benito, Manitoba.
The Second Temple (in the 1980s)
Parish hall was burnt, 1964 ; reconstruction, 1965 ; renewal, 1966
In March, 1964, at a social event, the parish hall caught fire. It was so badly damaged, it was unsalvageable. The parishioners quickly decided that they could construct a new one. Meanwhile, once again, any social events had to be convened in rented quarters. Plans were soon drawn up. In 1965, construction began. This time, the parish hall was expanded. Constructed near to the highway, the new structure included a separate and substantial kitchen, and a distinct dining area, as well as a stage and a dance-floor. The grand opening took place on 1 July, 1966. This hall served well as a gathering place, a social hall, a meeting place, and a source of income.
Second parish hall, Sandy Lake
Saint Olga Sisterhood
The Saint Olga Sisterhood Society was a very active force in the parish life over many decades.
The women organised fundraising events, one of which was perogy-making. The women organised many social events, and they made certain that on these occasions those who attended had enough to eat. They supported the spiritual family of the parish, and they added to its financial resources. Of the leadership of the Saint Olga Sisterhood, the 3 longer-serving senior sisters were : Mrs. Annie Domaschuk ; Mrs. Martha Rystephanuk ; Mrs. Helen Derhak ; Mrs. Jennie Coulson. Mrs. Helen Derhak and Mrs. Shirley Millenchuk served as secretary.
In 1973, Metropolitan Ireney (Bekish) presented a gramota to the Saint Olga Sisterhood Society.
In 1980, the women's society amalgamated with the men's society, and the parish came to have one single treasury. Even after the sisterhood amalgamated with the parish council, the women of the parish continued to offer the same labours of love.
As large and accommodating as was the parish hall, it was not always large enough. It is recounted that the wedding-party of David Rystephanuk was so large that it was necessary to rent a hall in Erickson.
Archpriest Robert S and Matushka Dianne Kennaugh, 1991-1921
In 1991, when Father Robert S Kennaugh was assigned to serve in Narol, Manitoba, he was also assigned to care for the parish of Saint Nicholas in Sandy Lake. He and his wife Matushka Dianne Kennaugh began driving regularly from Winnipeg to Sandy Lake in order to provide services in a similar manner to that provided before his time by Priest Evan Lowig and Archpriest Efimy Moseychuk.
It was during his time that there developed a shared method of serving the Theophany Great Blessing of Waters out-of-doors. Rural depopulation and fewer available clergy had already made it difficult for all 3 parishes in Sandy Lake (Saint Nicholas Orthodox, Saint Michael's Ukrainian Orthodox, and Holy Ghost Ukrainian Catholic) to provide the water-blessing to which they were accustomed.
An arrangement was made during the following years in which Father Robert would bless the waters one year, and the Ukrainian Catholic priest (at that time, Father Ted Teznowski) would bless the waters the following year, and they would alternate in such a manner. They would both be present, but only one would serve.
At that time, during the blessing, some of the parishioners present would do as was also done at Pascha : they would fire blank bullets from rifles into the air in order to express the exultation of the moment.
100 years
On Saturday, 15 July, 2000, Bishop Seraphim (Storheim) led the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy in the Temple of Saint Nicholas, in celebration of the 100th anniversary of the founding of the parish.
During the Divine Liturgy, the parish president, David Rystephanuk, was tonsured to be a reader ; the seminarian Kevin Miller was ordained to be a subdeacon ; the subdeacon Anastasy (Stacey) Richter was ordained to the Holy Diaconate.
Visitors from Holy Trinity Sobor in Winnipeg and from Saint Nicholas Church in Narol (just north of Winnipeg) supplemented the local singers.
The concelebrating clergy included : Archpriest Robert S Kennaugh, Protopresbyter Mirone Klysh, Archpriest Nicolae Mariancu, Archpriest Anatoliy Melnyk, Archpriest Rodion Luciuk, Protodeacon Andrew Piasta, and Deacon Raphael Cole. After the Divine Liturgy, with the blessing of water and the procession around the Temple, dinner was served in the parish hall, which included a programme of speeches, song, and dance.
In addition, Bishop Seraphim presented to the parish a special gramota from the Holy Synod of Bishops of The Orthodox Church in America.
2002 : Episcopal visitation ; blessing of the renovated “old” cemetery
On Saturday, 24 August, 2002, Bishop Seraphim (Storheim) of Ottawa was in Sandy Lake, Manitoba, for a special occasion : the blessing of the newly-renovated “Pioneer Cemetery”, the probable original cemetery of the parish and of the region.
People from and around Sandy Lake, Manitoba, gathered for a Hierarchical Divine Liturgy served by Bishop Seraphim at the “North Church”, Saint Nicholas Temple. The Temple is just outside Sandy Lake to the north. With the bishop were Archpriests Robert Kennaugh, Myrone Klysh, and Anatoly Melnyk, as well as Protodeacon Raphael Cole, who were all from Winnipeg.
Blessing of the graves of the Pioneer Cemetery
Sandy Lake Saint Nicholas Pioneer Cemetery
Approximately 150 people attended on this occasion. A very noteworthy aspect of the celebration was the blessing of the “Pioneer Cemetery” (North). This cemetery is possibly Sandy Lake’s oldest. The picturesque location on a hill is believed to have been chosen by the Métis and French Canadians who inhabited the land in the area in the late 1800s and early 1900s. The site is located on the farmland first homesteaded by Daniel Lilley. The parishioners of Saint Nicholas used the cemetery until 1917, when they opened their own cemetery beside the Temple. Regrettably, due to lack of use and some grass fires over the decades, the graveyard fell into poor condition.
In 2001, a Restoration Committee began painstaking work clearing brush, straightening tombstones and marking graves to return the cemetery to its pristine state.
The programme of the re-opening began when a representative from the Métis community burned incense-like sweet grass. A cairn displaying the names of all the reposed was unveiled. Then Bishop Seraphim led the faithful in a memorial service, after which he walked about the cemetery and blessed the graves. During the proceedings, the local Ukrainian Centennial Choir sang inspiring hymns.
Afterwards all partook in a celebratory memorial meal at the “North Church” hall. There, the programme continued with the presentation by Joyce Coulson of an account of the hard work involved by the Restoration Committee. Honoured guests were present, including representatives from the Métis community, amongst them Tom Ducharme, who played a few lively numbers on his fiddle. The Ukrainian Centennial Choir graced the program with more songs. Finally, the Honourable Rosann Wowchuk, Minister of Agriculture for the Province of Manitoba and Member of the Legislative Assembly for Swan River, spoke briefly, and the Government of Manitoba was duly acknowledged for generously paying half of the restoration expenses incurred.
In early 2020, the Covid-19 virus made its appearance in Canada, and it quickly became a world-wide pandemic. Because of the rules governing gatherings that were laid down by the provincial, city, and municipal governments, the parish stopped any further services after 8 March, 2020. In addition to the rules regarding social distancing, the decreasing numbers permitted for any gathering, and the considerations regarding the health of all concerned, this and other parishes were required to close for a time.
In most places where these regulations were imposed, there was also some controversy.
Archpriest A Gregory and Matushka Taesia Scratch, 2012
In 2012, after the retirement of Father Robert S Kennaugh, A Gregory Scratch (with his wife, Matushka Taesia) was assigned to continue the pastoral service to Saint Nicholas Church, Sandy Lake, from the Parish of Saint Nicholas in Narol.
Father Gregory followed in the foot-steps of Father Robert, including in his service as Dean of Manitoba and Saskatchewan.
Major repairs, 2022
During the summer of 2022, the Temple and Parish Hall of the Saint Nicholas parish received some major repairs, as well as preparation for a few more in the near future. A fund had been established for the purpose, and substantial donations quickly enabled the activation of the project.
The roofing of the Temple was replaced during the summer, and the same was done for the Parish Hall very soon thereafter. There had been some interior damage that had been caused by leaking rooves, and that also required attention. The interior of the Temple (including the choir-loft) required some washing and painting. Moreover, the bell-house nearby required scraping and re-painting. All this involved a considerable amount of work ; but the result is parish facilities that will be in good condition for many years in the future. There was great gratitude for those who worked hard to enable the repairs, and for those who made the necessary financial and other contributions that made it all possible.
On the afternoon of Saturday, 21 January, 2023, there was again (after the covid-19 closures), the service of the Theophany Great Blessing of Waters at Sandy Lake.
This event has occurred on the lake for many decades. For the most part, the service was led by the priest in charge of each parish in Sandy Lake : Saint Nicholas Orthodox, Saint Michael Ukrainian Orthodox, and Holy Ghost Ukrainian Catholic. However, rural depopulation made it increasingly difficult to do this as in the past. Moreover, whenever one parish would serve, the parishioners of the other 2 would attend.
This year, Archpriest Gregory Scratch proposed initiating a co-hosting of this service, with the clergy alternating year-by-year in serving. He proposed that Father Jay Korban of the Ukrainian Catholic Pastoral District of Rossburn bless the water in 2023, and that he, Father Gregory, bless the waters in 2024. This proposal was accepted. Both Father Gregory and Father Jay had come to know one another through their former school in Ottawa, Ontario. In this initiative, the method used by both their predecessors long ago was renewed.
Father Jay leads the Rossburn Pastoral District, which includes Rossburn, Russell, Oakburn, Shoal Lake, Sandy Lake, Mountain Road, Olha, Dolyny, Lakedale, Angusville, Ruthenia, Seech, and Birtle. Of these, people came to Sandy Lake from Rossburn, Oakburn, Shoal Lake, Dolyny and Minnedosa. The parishioners of Saint Nicholas Church were joined by others who came from Winnipeg.
The skies were bright blue, the sun was shining and the temperature was a beautiful -10°C. More than 60 Faithful of all ages gathered from both Catholic and Orthodox communities in Sandy Lake.
The last time the Holy Ghost Parish had been able to have this service was at some time in the 1990s. Based on the local community memory of how to proceed, a parishioner of Holy Ghost Church, Chad Davies, prepared an area on the lake for the blessing. The ice Cross was assembled from ice-blocks that had been cut out of the north side of the lake 3 weeks prior. The day before, the Cross was cut into its form, and assembled. In front of that, a Cross-form was cut out in the ice, where a hole would at the last minute be cut through to allow the Cross to flood with water. This is done at the last minute to ensure that the water not freeze solid again right away. A table was assembled from some of the ice, and a few spruce trees and a church banner completed the preparation.
The 3 "Trinity" candles that were used had been hand-crafted of beeswax, made locally in Oakburn.
Following the blessing of the waters, everyone was invited up to the town's Drop-In Centre where they all warmed up with fellowship and a few treats provided by the Sandy Lake Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Association. Afterwards, each priest travelled about to bless the homes of their respective parishioners. This entire event was greatly appreciated by the local parishioners, and the parishes received some extra donations besides.
Father Jay Korban blesses the water (left) ; Father Jay Korban, Father Gregory Scratch (right)
Sandy Lake Water-blessing, clergy, people, the town
On Saturday afternoon, 20 January, 2024, once again, the service of the Theophany Great Blessing of Waters took place at Sandy Lake. Once again, Archpriest Gregory Scratch of Saint Nicholas Church, Sandy Lake, and Father Jay Korban of the Ukrainian Catholic Pastoral District of Rossburn collaborated in organising the event of blessing the water. This blessing took place on the Leave-taking of Theophany (Old Style), on what could be described as the most perfect winter day (+1◦C, no wind, and clear blue skies).
A 3-bar Cross was cut from the ice of the lake, as was a table. As usual, this was prepared by Chad Davies, David Rystephanuk, and others. The shape of the 3-bar Cross allowed for space in which there was "running" water, and it was there that the water was sanctified. As usual, there were cut evergreen trees placed in the snow on the ice.
Because of the unstable ice in the warmer 2024, it had not been possible to bless the Red River, so this service was truly a wonder – made all the more wondrous by the beautiful weather, the fellowship of Father Jay and his communities, the people of Sandy Lake, the Faithful of Saint Nicholas, the visitors from Saint Nicholas of Narol, and the Mission in Winkler.
Those who participated were grateful to all who had organised the occasion. Especially, gratitude was expressed to God for His saving love, and that His mercy is manifested in Creation.
The place of water-blessing ; the Cross, with ice-table covered
Parishioners of both communities, and others ; Father Gregory, Father Jay
On Saturday, 1 February, 2025, Archpriest Gregory Scratch travelled from Winnipeg to Sandy Lake, together with Esther Juce-Engel, and Nicholas Litardi. Father Gregory served the Divine Liturgy in the Temple of Saint Nicholas, and he served the Indoor Blessing of Water afterwards.
In the afternoon, parishioners of Saint Nicholas Orthodox Church and those of other communities in Sandy Lake gathered at the lake by the village for the Outdoor Blessing of Water service.
Father Gregory, Esther Juce, Nicholas Litardi approach
Two priests : Father Jay Korban, Father Gregory Scratch
Grave-blessing (Provody), 2025
On 15 June, 2025, Father Gregory Scratch served the Divine Liturgy at Saint Nicholas Church. On this day also, there was the annual service of blessing graves after the Feast of Pascha. After the conclusion of the Divine Liturgy, a Panikhida was served, and then Father Gregory proceeded to bless the graves, one-by-one, and to greet the faithful departed with the Resurrection of Christ.
Saint Nicholas Cemetery (old), 1902
The Saint Nicholas old Pioneer Cemetery (North) is an early cemetery not far to the west from the present Temple. It is located at SE 18-18-20 in the Harrison Rural Municipality.
As the plaque at the cemetery indicates, the first burials in this cemetery were from Métis and French-Canadian families in the late 1800s. In about 1902, the Saint Nicholas Russo-Greek Parish (now known simply as “Orthodox”) erected a small log chapel near this site. It was used until 1911. The chapel later moved to NW 16-18-20 where it served as a porch (entry) to a new Temple.
The obviously Ukrainian surnames found amongst those interred in the cemetery are :
Derhak ; Desiatnyk ; Duchminsky ; Ellchuk ; Fostaychuk ; Gregorash ; Klym ; Mizimchuk ; Perepeluk ; Prokopchuk.
The cemetery is situated on an elevated knoll which provides a pleasant view : this knoll overlooks a lake to the northeast, and flat meadow-land towards the southeast and south. On this cemetery there once were many wooden Crosses, but various grass-fires seem to have burnt them. All that remains of the grave-markers are a few stone monuments and a few iron Crosses. Nevertheless, there are records about the names of those who are interred in this cemetery.
Pioneer Cemetery Sandy Lake, 2019
In 1913, the parishioners approached Daniel Lilley (the homesteader on this quarter) with the intent to purchase the land on the cemetery site. However, no record of this transaction appears in the land titles office. The parish developed a new cemetery in 1917 on NW 16-18-20, but many families continued to use the first burial ground until 1943. Despite any lack in documentation, the parishioners of Saint Nicholas Church, Sandy Lake, have not neglected the cemetery, despite the difficult access.
Saint Nicholas Parish Cemetery (new), 1917
The Saint Nicholas Orthodox Cemetery, at NW 16-18-20, is located next to the Saint Nicholas Temple. Although it was established at an early date, 1917, it did not become widely used by parishioners until after 1943. The first person interred in this new cemetery was the 16-year-old Pavlo Gregorash in 1916.
Saint Nicholas Church and Cemetery, 2019
Many priests have served this parish since 1900. Amongst them are included :
Priests Ivan Bodrug ; Gabriel Tymchuk ; Ivan Danylchuk ; D Pynovsky ; M Hutnakovich ; John Kushvara ; M Hunchak ; Elisei Lilikovich. Priests D Ivanoyko ; Damian Krehel ; Kolodiuk ; Antony Tereschenko ; Petro Oleniuk ; Konstantin Bilych ; Stefan Verbovy. Priests Evasiuk ; Bondarchuk ; Ignaty Falowsky ; Chewaruk ; Glitzky ; Peter Tokaruk ; Antony Hurowsky. Priests Joseph Homik ; Urbanowitz ; Evgeniy Showheniuk ; Michael Andruchow. Mitred Archpriest Efimy Moseychuk, the Priest Evan Lowig, the Archpriest Robert S Kennaugh, and the Archpriest Gregory Scratch.
Amongst those who have served as elders ("starostas") of the parish over the years are included :
John Philipation ; John Klym ; Safroni Mizenchuk ; Wasyl Spak ; Wasyl Ellchuk ; Yurko Yarema ; George Hnatiuk ; Taras Babiak ; Slim Shindruk ; Dennis Derhak ; Alvin Derhak ; Brian Rystephanuk ; Allen Derhak ; Steven Derhak ; David Rystephanuk.
Amongst those who have served on the parish council (committee) and trustees are included :
John Derhak ; Alex Swenarchuk ; Dmytro Bronar ; John Mudry ; Peter Domaschuk ; Harry Spak ; Wasyl Pawluk ; Wasyl Coulson ; Bill Desiatnyk ; Steve Rystephanuk ; John Shindruk ; Steven Derhak ; John Ellchuk ; Ernie Rystephanuk ; Steve Desiatnyk ; Sam Philipchuk ; Jack Rystephanuk ; Paul Coulson ; Metro Rystephanuk ; John Millenchuk ; John Pawluk.
Parish particular information
Services are offered in English.
This parish is part of the Deanery of Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Nunavut of the Archdiocese of Canada, of The Orthodox Church in America. The dean is the Archpriest Gregory Scratch. The bishop is Archbishop Irénée (Rochon).
This parish follows the Old (Julian) Calendar.
The Altar Feast-day of this parish is the Feast of Saint Nicholas of Myra, 6/19 December.
In 2025, the pastor of the parish is the Archpriest Gregory Scratch.
Address :
Saint Nicholas Orthodox Church
NW 16-18-20 W on County Highway #250 north.
Sandy Lake, Manitoba
R0J 1X0
Telephone : 204-585-2652
Web-site : http://www.sandylakemanitoba.com
Mailing address :
Saint Nicholas Orthodox Church
Box 278
Sandy Lake, Manitoba
R0J 1X0
Directions :
Sandy Lake is situated 265 km (166 mi) northwest from Winnipeg, and the driving time is approximately 3¾ hours. It is located 96 km (60 mi) north of Brandon. It is 191 km (119 mi) southeast of Yorkton, Saskatchewan. It is 348 km (216 mi) east of Regina.
From Winnipeg, drive westwards on the Trans-Canada Highway #1 (Portage Avenue). After approximately 121 km (75 mi) follow the exit for Trans-Canada Highway 16/Highway #10 towards Yorkton and Saskatoon. Drive about 6.5 km (4 mi). Then follow Manitoba Highway #10 for 30.5 km (19 mi). Turn left onto Highway #45 and drive for about 16.1 km (10 mi). Turn right towards Highway #250 north, on the west side of town. The Temple is about 5 km (2 mi) north, on the right (east) side of the road.
From Brandon, drive north of the city on 1st Street North (Highway #1A) to the junction with the Trans-Canada Highway (Highway #1). Continue straight northwards on Highway #10. At Minnedosa, join with the Trans-Canada Highway (Highway #16), but follow then the signs to the right and continue northwards on Highway #10, and pass by Erickson. At Highway #45, turn left. At Sandy Lake, veer to the right to Highway #250. Highway #250 passes through Sandy Lake, and it continues northwards. The Temple is about 5 km (2 mi) north, on the right (east) side of the road.
Telephone : 204-890-8057 (mobile)
E-mail : priestgregoryscratch@gmail.com
Aurora over Saint Nicholas Temple and Cemetery, Sandy Lake
Photos by Debra Maluk
References
Archdiocese of Canada – Orthodox Church in America, “The Orthodox Church in Canada : A Chronology” (Ottawa : Archdiocese of Canada, 1988).
A Chronological History of the Archdiocese of Canada, Part I
“The Russian Mission in North America”
Article about Saint Nicholas Orthodox Church, Narol, Manitoba
Tarasar, Constance J, ed., “Orthodox America 1794-1976 : Development of The Orthodox Church in America” (Syosset, NY : The Orthodox Church in America Department of History and Archives, 1975). ASIN : B000ZLZAUE.
Oral history
Additional information :
Klysh, Protopresbyter Mirone, “Orthodox Christians in Manitoba”
Kowalchuk, Edward, and Coulson, Joyce, 'A History of Sandy Lake and District, 1984 : The Story of Sandy Lake' in "University of Manitoba Digital Collection, Manitoba Local Histories" (Winnipeg : University of Manitoba, 1984), pp. 16-17.
“Orthodox Christians in Manitoba”
Archdiocese of Canada web-site
Orthodoxwiki article about the Archdiocese of Canada
Orthodoxwiki article about The Orthodox Church of America
(Belavin) Archbishop (Saint) Tikhon (Belavin)
Archbishop Alexander (Nemolovsky)
Archbishop Evdokim (Meschersky)
Metropolitan Platon (Rozhdestvensky)
Metropolitan Theophilus (Pashkovsky)
Metropolitan Leonty (Turkevich)
Metropolitan Theodosius (Lazor)
Metropolitan Jonah (Paffhausen)
Mitred Archpriest Evfimy Moseychuk
Priest Evan Lowig
Archpriest Robert and Matushka Dianne Kennaugh
Findagrave reference to Pioneer Cemetery North, Sandy Lake, Manitoba
Findagrave reference to St Nicholas Orthodox Cemetery, Sandy Lake, Manitoba
Sandy Lake village Facebook page
Wikipedia article about Sandy Lake, Manitoba
Canadian Encyclopedia article about Manitoba
Canadian Encyclopedia article about Ukrainian Canadians
Canadian Encyclopaedia article about Ukrainian Internment in Canada
Government of Manitoba history article “Ukrainian Churches of Manitoba”
Great Blessing of Water at Theophany – Saint Nicholas, Sandy Lake, Manitoba (19 January, 2019)
Statistics Canada : A sociodemographic profile of Ukrainian-Canadians (28 April, 2022)
In Memoriam : Archpriest Robert Stephen (Father Bob) Kennaugh 1942-2024 (17 January, 2024)
'Sandy Lake church celebrates 100 years' in "Canadian Orthodox Messenger" (Winter, 2000/2001), p. 5.
'August blessings in Manitoba, Saskatchewan' in "Canadian Orthodox Messenger" (Spring, 2003), pp. 2-4.
































