Rhein SK Holy Ascension Orthodox Chapel and Cemetery 1900
Rhein, Saskatchewan, Chapel and Cemetery in the Name of the Holy Ascension, 1900
The local nickname for this Temple is "Kaplychka" (little chapel, dear chapel).
See also : Saint Michael's Orthodox Church, Veregin
Prehistory
The pioneers who arrived in Canada during the years around the year 1900 were mostly from the region of Bucovina, which was then in the Austro-Hungarian Empire, and now in Ukraine. At that time, living conditions there were quite difficult, and the enticements of the Canadian government to emigrate to Canada were very attractive, because the Canadian government wanted to increase the population of Western Canada. The majority of those who would be associated with "Kaplychka" were from the village of Stowchin in Bucovina.
As soon as the pioneers of the Rhein region arrived (now the Rural Municipality of Sliding Hills, Saskatchewan), they began to plan the construction of this Orthodox Christian Temple, in the same way that other Temples in the region were immediately planned and constructed. The people required a Temple in which to pray, and they began to make preparations to do so.
Organising the community ; constructing the Temple, 1900
The community was organised in 1900, and the small Temple was constructed of logs in 1902-1903. Tom Krawchuk was the likely donor of the land. Active in the organisation and in the construction were Thomas Krawchuk and Kanistrat Welykholowa, along with Alex Boychuk, George Andrewchuk and Ted Stefiuk.
The Land Description site of the Temple and cemetery is NW ¼ 22-28-01 W2 in the RM of Sliding Hills #273.
It is part of the local oral history that there were 5 Temples under construction in the same region in 1902, and that this is one of the 5.
Bell-house
Nearby, a bell-house was constructed of logs, in the same manner as the Temple. In other words, both structures were constructed on a stone foundation, and logs were used to make the walls. Afterwards, the gaps were filled with mud, and then the exterior walls were plastered with mud. Finally, the mud plaster was painted with whitewash.
Because it was not possible to have a priest who would permanently serve in this Temple, William Andrychuk, who already had some of the necessary education, studied more, and he led the community in worship as a Reader until the 1930s. A priest would come to serve when there were particular needs.
The Temple of the Holy Ascension was the first Temple of the parish.
However, in time, it was discovered that the water table level was rather high, and that as a result there were difficulties regarding the cemetery.
Therefore, when Ted Bodnaryk and Agnes Babiuk were married in this Temple on 11 November, 1924, they were one of the last couples to have been married there. At this service, Agnes wore a crown of willow twigs which continued to hang on the wall of the Temple afterwards. The young children wore flowers. After the marriage had been blessed, the bride and groom returned to their own separate homes and to separate parties because the houses weren't large enough for everyone to be together. Then, in the evening, Ted and his "best man" (sponsor) went to fetch the bride. However, because of the snow, Ted had to use a sleigh for the purpose.
Move of the community slightly to the north, 1924-1925
Because of the difficulty with the water-table, it was required that another site be found. The community moved from this original site in 1924-1925, and another Temple (Saint Michael’s, Veregin), Saskatchewan, was constructed about 2 km (1 mi) to the north, as part of the same parish. This Temple was larger than the first one. The construction method was the same ; and as with the other buildings, logs had to be brought from Stenen, since the local trees were too small.
Nevertheless, the 2 sites comprised a single congregation of Orthodox Christian believers.
Disuse of the Temple, 1950
The Holy Ascension Temple has been unused for many decades (more than 50 years), and the last grave marker dates from the 1940s.
The crumbling buildings on this site represent some of the oldest log-constructed Orthodox church structures remaining in Saskatchewan. They stand as a reminder of the efforts of the early immigrants to forge a new life in Saskatchewan while keeping a link to the old country and the practice of the Orthodox Faith. The church building retains some of its original mud and straw chinking and evidence of the white stucco that once covered the exterior walls. The notched log construction of both the Temple and the bell-house are very evident.
Because the Temple has had a metal roof which is maintained well, the remaining structure remains stable, although not actually usable. It is nevertheless reputed to be the oldest Orthodox Christian Temple in Saskatchewan.
See also the parish of Saint Michael, Veregin, which is the continuation of this particular parish.
Rhein-Mikado, SK, Holy Ascension Cemetery, 1900
Holy Ascension Cemetery is located 16 km (10 mi) south of Veregin, on the same property as Holy Ascension Church.
The Land Description site is : NW ¼ 22-28-01 W2 in the RM of Sliding Hills.
The cemetery has approximately 15 graves. The cemetery itself and the other grounds are well-maintained by the parishioners of the parish of Saint Michael.
Particular parish information
This community is a part of the Manitoba-Saskatchewan-Nunavut Deanery of the Archdiocese of Canada, of The Orthodox Church in America. The dean is the Archpriest Gregory Scratch. The bishop is Archbishop Irénée (Rochon).
This community has followed the Old (Julian) Calendar.
In 2023, services at the cemetery are provided from the Church of Saint Mark in Yorkton, Saskatchewan.
Address :
Holy Ascension Orthodox Cemetery
Land description site : NW ¼ 22-28-01 W2 in the RM of Sliding Hills.
Rhein, Saskatchewan
Directions :
Holy Ascension Cemetery is located 16 km (10 mi) south of Veregin, SK, in the Rhein area of the Rural Municipality of Wallace.
Holy Ascension Chapel from east
Other views of the chapel
References
A Chronological History of the Archdiocese of Canada, Part 1
Onufrijchuk, Theodore T, "The History of R. M. of Sliding Hills No. 273 Mikado, Sask. and their Centennial Park" (Yorkon : R.M. of Sliding Hills, Mikado, Saskatchewan, 1967).
“The Russian Mission in North America”
Tarasar, Constance J, ed., “America 1794-1976 : Development of The Orthodox Church in America” (Syosset, NY : The Orthodox Church in America Department of History and Archives, 1975). ASIN : B000ZLZAUE.
Additional information :
Archdiocese of Canada web-site
Orthodoxwiki article about the Archdiocese of Canada
Orthodox Church in America web-site
Orthodoxwiki article about The Orthodox Church in America
(Belavin) Archbishop (Saint) Tikhon (Belavin)
Archbishop Alexander (Nemolovsky)
Archbishop Evdokim (Meschersky)
Metropolitan Platon (Rozhdestvensky)
Metropolitan Leonty (Turkevich)
Metropolitan Theodosius (Lazor)
Metropolitan Jonah (Paffhausen)
Saint Mark the Evangelist Orthodox Church, Yorkton, Saskatchewan
Anecdotes about the founders in "Blue Skies : Ukrainian Canadian Pioneer Days"
Findagrave cemetery reference to Holy Ascension Orthodox Cemetery
Wikipedia article about Rhein, Saskatchewan





