Peno AB Saint Michael Russo Orthodox Church and Cemetery 1904
Peno, Alberta, Church and Cemetery of Saint Michael, 1904
Prehistory
The Temple of Saint Michael the Archangel at Peno is situated in Lamont County, Alberta, Canada, which is a part of the large region presently known as “Kalyna Country”, to the northeast of Edmonton.
Early immigration : Star-Edna Colony
The Peno settlement was part of the Star-Edna Colony of the Ukrainian Block Settlement.
From about 1899 to 1903, the area of the Peno settlement was populated by immigrating newcomers from the Halychyna (Galicia) area of Western Ukraine. This area had been part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire before World War I, and it was known as Galicia. Within that empire, it was called the Kingdom of Galicia and Ludomeria until World War I. It was, therefore, in the general political orbit of Poland. That those who settled in Peno came from Halychyna is something that they had in common with the founders of several other parishes in this "Kalyna Country" region.
Foundation of the community, 1904
The parish was founded in 1904, and then for some time, people gathered as they were able in order to pray and worship together.
A more formal establishment occurred in about 1909 (because it took a long time for homesteaders to be allowed formally to register ownership of properties), after which the Temple was constructed. Under the direction of a local carpenter, Mr. Korpan, parish volunteers assisted in the work of construction.
The inclusion of the term "Russo Orthodox" in the corporate name of the parish is indicative both of its foundation in the early years of immigration, and of the relationship of this parish to Bishop (Saint) Tikhon (Belavin) at the time, and through him to the "Russian Mission" and the Church of Russia. Bishop Tikhon had difficulty incorporating the bishop-and-Church in Canada (in part) because he was a foreigner, and the incorporation that he managed to accomplish came about only in 1903. The descriptive term "Russo Orthodox" was an attempt to show that the people of the parish were not simply "Russians" as such, but rather people from within the Russian Empire who originated in the southerly regions long ago known as "Rus'" (this was before the term "Ukraine" was widely used).
Description of the Temple, 1909
This Temple is one of the earliest examples of an open-dome cruciform construction in the settlement area. Oriented (as is usual for any Orthodox Christian Temple) on the east-west axis, the Temple is designed on a central longitudinal cruciform plan following “Byzantine” customs. There is a single large central dome on an octagonal base. In addition, the Temple has a cross-gable roof. The church site is surrounded by flat arable land, with second or third generation trees.
The entry to the narthex is by a door at the west end into a small vestibule under the choir loft. The narthex leads into the nave.
At the east end of the nave is the solea and the iconostas on a raised floor. There are 2 identical transepts to the north and south of the space beneath the central dome. The Altar is beyond a 3-tier iconostas. Within the Altar, there are 2 side-rooms on the north and south sides. There are no additional entrances from the exterior to the church's interior.
A large drum fixture rises from the intersection of the roofs over the nave. This drum constitutes the interior of the cupola as it supports a high octagonal onion-shaped dome on the exterior, which is covered with a silver-coloured metal. A large wrought-iron Cross rests on top of the cupola.
In 1918, Philip Pawliuk constructed the 3-tiered iconostas and other interior furnishings. At the same time, Peter Lipinski painted the walls, ceilings and icons in the Temple. The dome was originally painted sky blue, and it was adorned with angels and stars. The dome and stars have since been repainted but the angels have not been altered.
One can say that this Temple of the Archangel Michael in Peno is one of Peter Lipinski's earlier works. There is a variety of styles and materials in his icon paintings. One can see a variety of colours ranging from his darkish-brown (the Apostles) wall icons to the brightly-coloured icons on the iconostas. For the 3-tiered iconostas, Peter Lipinski painted the icons on the top-tier and the Royal Doors. The remaining icons found on the iconostas are reproduction lithographs.
An open bell-house built from split field-stone stands in front of the Temple.
Rural depopulation
As is the case with many other rural communities, the region around Peno became steadily depopulated after the 1940s. Farms were consolidated in the formation of agricultural businesses, and people generally moved into various urban environments.
The Temple in winter
Saint Michael's Cemetery (1904)
The Saint Michael Orthodox Cemetery of Peno is located at NW 07-57-18 W4, less than a kilometre south from the Temple, south of Township Road #572, on the east side of Peno Road, which is Range Road #190.
Parish particular information
This parish is a part of the Deanery of Alberta & Northwest Territories of the Archdiocese of Canada, of Church in America. The dean is Archpriest Vincent Lehr. The bishop is Archbishop Irénée (Rochon).
This parish follows the Old (Julian) Calendar.
The Altar Feast-day of this parish is the Feast of the Archangel Michael, 8/21 November.
The languages used are English and Church Slavonic.
In 2025, the parish is served by local clergy of the deanery.
Address :
Saint Michael's Orthodox Church
SW18-57-18-W4
Junction of Range Road #190 and Township Road #572
Lamont County, Alberta.
The mailing address of the parish is in care of the dean :
c/o Archpriest Vincent Lehr
Saint Herman of Alaska's Sobor
9930-167 Street
Edmonton, Alberta
T5P 4W7
Directions :
The Temple is located 80 km (50 mi) northeast of Edmonton or 25 km (15.5 mi) west of Andrew.
Drive 3 km (2 mi) north from Highway #45 on Peno Road (Range Road #190). After passing the Saint Michael Cemetery (on the right) and Township Road #572 (the area of the Peno settlement), the Temple is on the right.
Skaro Lake is about 1 km (.5 mi) to the west of Range Road #190, north of Township Road #572.
Archpriest Vincent Lehr, Dean
E-mail : frvincent@sthermans.ca
References
Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies, Alberta. Alberta Culture and Multiculturalism, “Historical driving tour : Ukrainian churches in east central Alberta” (Edmonton, Alberta : Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies, 1988).
“Pride in Progress : Chipman - St. Michael - Star Districts” (Chipman, Alberta : Alberta Rose Historical Society, 1982), pp. 575-576. ISBN : 0-88925-369-2.
Additional information :
Martynowych, Orest T. “Ukrainians in Canada : The Formative Period, 1891–1924” (Edmonton : Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies, University of Alberta, 1991. ISBN 10 : 0920862764. ISBN 13 : 978-0920862766.
Potrebenko, Helen, “No Streets of Gold : A Social History of Ukrainians in Alberta” (Vancouver, BC : New Star Books, 1977) ISBN 10 : 0919888704, ISBN 13 : 978-0919888708.
Tarasar, Constance J, ed., “Orthodox America 1794-1976 : Development of The Orthodox Church in America” (Syosset, NY : The Orthodox Church in America Department of History and Archives, 1975). ASIN : B000ZLZAUE.
Archdiocese of Canada web-site
Orthodoxwiki article about the Archdiocese of Canada
The Orthodox Church in America (OCA) web-site
Orthodoxwiki article about The Orthodox Church in America
Archbishop Alexander (Nemolovsky)
Archbishop Evdokim (Meschersky)
Metropolitan Platon (Rozhdestvensky)
Metropolitan Theophilus (Pashkovsky)
Metropolitan Leonty (Turkevich)
Metropolitan Theodosius (Lazor)
Metropolitan Jonah (Paffhausen)
Archbishop (Saint) Arseny (Chahovtsov)
Pryvit article about Saint Michael the Archangel Russo-Greek Orthodox Church
Canadian “Heritage in Canada” artist Peter Lipinski
Article about Peter Lipinski in "Western Catholic Reporter", 2013
Video of Saint Michael’s Orthodox Church
Canadian Encyclopaedia article about Ukrainian Settlement in the Canadian Prairies
Item in the “Lamont County Churches” brochure
Brochure "Church Capital of North America Lamont County" (articles and photos about some of the 47 churches in the county) p. 8. (About Peter Lipinski, p. 28.)
Little Churches on the Prairies : Saint Michael Orthodox Church – Peno, AB (OCA)
Pioneer Churches on the Prairies web-site
List of Orthodox Churches in Alberta
‘Churches of Rural Alberta’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger” (July, 1993), pp. 4-5.









