Ottawa ON Christ the Saviour Orthodox Church 1980
Ottawa, Ontario, Christ the Saviour Orthodox Church, 1980, 2003
Prehistory
The origins of the parish in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, lie in 2 local communities.
One parish is Holy Trinity Bukowinian Orthodox Cathedral, Ottawa’s first Orthodox Temple, which was founded at the beginning of World War I by Ukrainian immigrants from the Bukovina region of the Austro-Hungarian Empire.
First Temple on Gladstone Avenue
In the upper painting, the Temple is portrayed before its destruction. Nearby is the spire of Saint Anthony's Italian Roman Catholic Church at 427, Booth Street. In the lower photograph, the Temple is shown at the corner of Louise Street as it was for many decades after its construction
Initially located on Gladstone Avenue, the Holy Trinity congregation moved in 1968 to what is now the heart of Ottawa’s "Chinatown". There, under the guidance of the Archpriest George Pokrowsky, a new Temple was constructed on Somerset Street, which is the present site.
Temple was built on the site of the former Boys' Club, which occupied the former Firehall #7 on Somerset Street West (eventually demolished for the construction of the Temple). The newer Firehall #7 had been constructed around the corner at #58 Arthur Street. This particular building became first a temporary worship-space, and then the parish hall.
Founding Christ the Saviour Parish, 1980s
The other parish, Christ the Saviour Orthodox Church, was founded in the early 1980s by the Priest Maxym Lysack the present pastor. Over some 20 years, this parish, which formerly worshipped in rented space in the Westboro area, grew from a mere handful of Faithful into a flourishing parish.
When the 2 communities merged in 2003, the Christ the Saviour parish moved to the Holy Trinity building, and gave its name to the combined parish. The present parish now continues the legacy of Ottawa’s oldest Orthodox parish while maintaining the vibrant missionary spirit of the younger one.
Parish life
Christ the Saviour Church is under the spiritual protection of Metropolitan Gregory (Tatsis), Bishop of the American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese (Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople). This diocese has over 80 parishes. Although it has Slavic roots (it was established by immigrants from the Carpathian region of what is now Ukraine, Slovakia and Poland), the diocese today uses English as its primary liturgical language. In the parish of Christ the Saviour, some Old Church Slavonic is used in the worship, and occasionally other languages as well.
Christ the Saviour has members of many cultural backgrounds. Some grew up as Orthodox Christians, while others chose to become Orthodox Christians as adults.
Archpastoral visits
Metropolitan Gregory (Tatsis) of the American Carpatho-Russian Diocese of the USA has made many annual archpastoral visitations to Christ the Saviour parish in Ottawa.
On 8 September, 2013, Bishop Gregory (Tatsis) made a pastoral visit to the parish.
Metropolitan Gregory speaking with
parishioners
Metropolitan Gregory (Tatsis) and parishioners, 2016
Photos of the Temple
The founding pastor, Protopresbyter Maxym Lysack
The Protopresbyter Maxym Lysack was born in Winnipeg, Manitoba of Ukrainian parents, and he was raised in Ottawa. He holds 1 undergraduate degree in the Ukrainian and Russian languages, and a second degree in theology. He also completed studies in the field of education.
Father Maxym was ordained to the Holy Priesthood in 1983. He later earned a Th.M. (Master of Theology) Degree at Holy Cross Greek Orthodox School of Theology in Brookline, Massachusetts. He specialised in Orthodox dogmatic theology and spirituality. Occasionally, he has taught courses in these 2 areas at the university level locally.
In addition to his pastoral duties at Christ the Saviour, Father Maxym serves as Dean of the Canadian Deanery of the Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese, and he is the Orthodox Christian chaplain at the University of Ottawa. He is frequently invited to speak at retreats and conferences. Father Maxym speaks English, French, Ukrainian and Russian. He is married to Matushka Yvonne, who brings a background in counselling, theology, writing, and music to her full-time work for the parish. The couple’s 2 daughters are Anastasia and Yuliana.
Holy Trinity Bukowinian Cemetery, 1931
The parish cemetery, Holy Trinity Bukowinian Cemetery, located at 1890, Merivale Road just south of Hunt Club Road, is a little over 2 acres in size.
Sanctified in 1931, it is the oldest Orthodox Christian cemetery in the Ottawa region. Members of Christ the Saviour Church may purchase burial plots there.
The cemetery chapel was constructed in 1938, and it is dedicated to the Holy Trinity.
At the annual Cemetery Day ("проводы") in the spring, an outdoor memorial service is offered and the graves are blessed. It is an old Slavic custom to bring food to the cemetery on the day of the grave-blessing and to share a picnic there with friends and loved ones in memory of the departed. This custom, which was faithfully observed by the Bukowinan-Ukrainian immigrants who founded the cemetery, is still followed by the present parishioners.
Holy Trinity Cemetery Chapel
Particular parish information
This parish is part of the Canadian Deanery of the American Carpatho-Russian Diocese of the USA. The dean is the Protopresbyter Maxym Lysack. The bishop is Metropolitan Gregory (Tatsis).
This parish follows the Old (Julian) Calendar.
The Altar Feast-day of this parish is the Feast of the Dedication of the Temple of the Holy Resurrection in Jerusalem, 13/26 September.
In 2023, the pastor of the parish is the Protopresbyter Maxym Lysack. The deacon of the parish is Michael Laliberté.
Address :
Christ the Saviour Orthodox Church
721, Somerset Street West
Ottawa, Ontario
K1R 6P7
Phone : 613-723-7790
Web-site : http://www.christthesaviour.ca
Directions :
The Temple is located at 721, Somerset Street West, near Arthur Street, about 2 blocks west of Bronson Avenue. There is a parish hall on Arthur Street nearby at 58, Arthur Street.
By car :
The parking lot can be reached via the driveway on the right (north) side of the parish hall at 58, Arthur Street. To enter the Temple from the lot, follow the pathway that begins at the corner where the hall and church meet and leads down a set of steps. Go through the gate and up the stairs to the main entrance of the church. Those with restricted mobility may instead enter the church through the accessible entrance off the parking lot.
By bus :
The parish is well served by public transit, OCTranspo. The #2 bus stops just a few steps away from the door of the Temple. Other nearby routes include the #4 (Bronson and Somerset West) and the #85 (Preston and Somerset West). The LeBreton transit station is about 8 minutes’ walk away, while the Bayview O-Train station (and the future LRT) can be reached on foot in about 15 minutes.
Telephone : (613) 723-7790
E-mail : frmaxym@sympatico.ca
Christ the Saviour Temple by day, by night
References
Parish web-site history of the parish
Additional information :
Barriger, Lawrence, “Glory to Jesus Christ : A History of the American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese” (Brookline, MA : Holy Cross Orthodox Press, 2000). ISBN 1885652445.
Tarasar, Constance J, ed., “Orthodox America 1794-1976 : Development of The Orthodox Church in America” (Syosset, NY : The Orthodox Church in America Department of History and Archives, 1975). ASIN : B000ZLZAUE.
American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese of North America listing
American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese of North America Diocese web-site
Wikipedia article about the American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese of North America
Orthodoxwiki article about the American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese of North America
Orthodox Church of Constantinople web-site
Orthodoxwiki article about the Church of Constantinople
Patriarch Bartholonew (Archontonis)
Archbishop Orestes (Chornock) of Agathonikeia
Metropolitan Nicholas (Smisko) of Amissos
Parish cemetery of Holy Trinity
Findagrave reference for Holy Trinity Bukovynian Greek Orthodox Cemetery
History of the American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese of North America
Archpastoral Letter for the Nativity 2022/2023








