Montréal QC Holy Trinity Serbian Orthodox Church 1954

From Canadian Orthodox History Project
Jump to navigation Jump to search


Holy Trinity Serbian Orthodox Church in Montreal 2.jpg

Montréal, Québec, Holy Trinity Serbian Orthodox Church, 1954



Prehistory

The Serbian community in Montréal, Québec, Canada, has its origins in the 20th century, some from quite early times. Regardless, Serbs have lived in this area for more than 100 years. In the early 20th century, many Serbs arrived in Canada by landing in Montréal. Others landed in Québec City, and in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Even if they did not intend to live in Montréal, they had to stop there, since this was the major beginning-point of the railway journey to all points west of there, and to the many sites where Serbs did settle.

It is true that some Serbs remained in Montréal, and they settled there. However, there were not enough of them for a very long time, in order to consider establishing a parish community. However, for many decades, there were spontaneous gatherings and meetings of Serbs in various places, in order to celebrate Christmas, Easter, the Feast of Saint Sava, and to welcome the New Year together (that is, on the Old Calendar).

For worship, and for sacramental needs, the Faithful would attend other Orthodox Christian Churches in the city which already existed, and particularly Saints Peter and Paul Sobor (one of the 3 oldest parishes in the city). Indeed, several of the priests who served in that parish were of Serbian origin.

Circle of Serbian Sisters

The Circle of Serbian Sisters of Montréal was founded in 1930. Customarily, these sisterhoods served as a sort of “glue” for the communities, and they were very frequently the “driving force” that led to the establishment of a permanent place of worship for everyone. This seems to have been the case in many a Serbian community.

Besides the relatively small number of Serbs living in Montréal, the very complicated historical political situation in their homeland inhibited distinct development in their new environment. The Church of Serbia was often in a difficult situation because of political turmoil, and she sometimes had difficulty remaining stable.

Establishing the Church-School Community

In early 1954, the establishment of the Church and School Community (CŠO) began with the arrival of the first Serbian priest in Montréal. This was the same year in which the Saint Sava Serbian Orthodox Church was sanctified in Toronto, Ontario.

On 2 January,1954, the young Hieromonk Justinian (Ilkić) was appointed parish priest of Montréal.

On 6 February, 1954, the founding assembly was held in the hall of one of the Ukrainian Orthodox Churches. It was then that the Church and School Community was constituted, and that the first administration was elected.

The first services of the community were held in other Orthodox Christian, and non-Orthodox churches, as well as in ordinary halls.

Regardless, from that time, the Serbian community was able gather around the Holy Trinity church as an official entity.

In a specific environment where the 2 official languages are French and English in the province of Québec, in Canada, the establishment of a parish and Church-School Congregation in Montréal was of exceptional importance for the preservation of the Orthodox Christian Faith, Serbian language, and culture of the Serbs in the Montréal region.

From its foundation until the present, the Holy Trinity Church has been a second home for Serbs in Montréal. It is a meeting place for Serbs, where the spirit of the homeland is felt, and passed on to the younger generations.

The year 1960 was very significant in the life and work of the Holy Trinity Church and School Community. The arrival of Archpriest-Stavrophor Dr. Dimitrij Najdanović represented an important turning point in the life of Serbs in Montréal (he remained with the parish until 1967).

Shortly after he arrived in Montréal, Father Najdanović encouraged his parishioners to purchase a building and property in the centre of Montréal at 4259 de Bullion Street. The second floor of the building was adapted for a chapel and an apartment, while the ground floor space was turned into a hall and a fellowship room.

Establishing the permanent Temple

On 23 June, 1961, a building on “De Bullion” Street (west of Rue Berri, and east of Rue Clark) was purchased, and it converted into a holy temple.

Both from the purchase to the consecration of the church, and the following year were characterised by active and fruitful work.

Immediately upon taking possession of the building, everyone set to work selflessly, architects to plan, carpenters to arrange the carpentry work, painters to paint, artists to paint icons.

The first Divine Liturgy in the Serbian Church of the Holy Trinity in Montréal was offered on 10 September, 1961. The feeling of ownership, freedom, and better and easier opportunities conditioned and facilitated work and other activities. The Circle of Serbian Sisters was reorganized, and it then continued its work more actively. The “Milan Rakić” parish choir enriched the Sunday services with its singing. For a time, there was a chess section, as well as a theater group. In 1963, the “Stevan Jorgović” library was founded.

The Sunday Church School also began to operate, and folklore was also cultivated. With the completion of the work on the iconostas and icons, the Holy Trinity Church acquired the form and appearance of an Orthodox church.

The commissions for the iconostas and icons were given to master woodcarver Vladimir Barac (who later opened an atelier in Los Angeles, California, USA) and artist José Majzner, respectively. The repair work on the "Holy Trinity Serbian Orthodox Church" was completed in 1961, but the sanctification did not take place until 1964.


HolyTrinitySerbianMontrealIconostas 2.png Holy Trinity Church Iconostas

Sanctification of the Temple

The consecration date had been set for 12 June, 1963, but it was postponed on several occasions. At about this time, numerous differences had arisen between Metropolitan Irinej (Kovačević) and Patriarch German (Djoric) of the Serbian Orthodox Church. Consequently, Bishop Dionsije severed all ties with the Church, and a series of lawsuits began which were settled only after his death. However, this parish avoided involvement in these disputes. This enabled the parish to proceed with the renovations and prepare for the sanctification.

The sanctification of the Temple took place on 6 September, 1964.

It was officiated by Bishop Stefan Lastavica of the Eastern American Diocese. (Nikola Budimir of Windsor, Ontario was the Godfather (sponsor) of the new parish.)

New immigration

Even while the Temple was being sanctified, the year 1964 was already being marked by the arrival of a large number of Serbs in Montréal.

Due to the increasing number of believers. and the increasingly diverse activities, the Temple and Serbian Home rapidly became too small.

Therefore, at a meeting of the Board of Directors, the members present mentioned that they were considering organising a Building Fund in order to raise money for the construction or acquisition of a new church building.

The decisive acceptance of Dr. Dragutin Drago Papić (+2017) as the president of the building committee came while Dr. Dimitrije Pivnički (+2007) was president of the church and school community. His appointment or being chosen made it possible for the community to act more decisively about a move from the existing modest premises towards finding a new, adequate space that would better accommodate this parish and community.

A notable parishioner at that time was Milica (Mila) Mulroney (born Pivnički), who had married the future Prime Minister of Canada, Brian Mulroney in 1973.

Second Temple

In 1976 (the year of the Summer Olympic Games in Montréal), the provision for the new and larger Temple was achieved by purchasing the Melville Presbyterian church (built in 1902), along with an adjacent rectory in the Westmount district of Montréal, on Montréal Island. The church building was completed in 1900 (there are 2 different dates given in various documents), in accordance with the design of the famous Canadian architect Edward Maxwell.

The magnificent and significant event of the sanctification of the holy Temple was performed on the feast of the Holy Apostle and Evangelist Luke, 31 October, 1976, by the Bishop of Eastern America and Canada, Dr. Sava (Vuković).

Further development of parish life

During the following years, under almost the same composition of members of the church and school administration, there were successful developments in the decoration and improvement of the Temple itself. The iconostas was enriched with 2 more large icons, 1 of Saint Sava, and 1 of Saint Basil of Ostrog. Then the parish hall and kitchen, and the parish house as well were renovated.

In 1986, the parish council launched a building fund for the repairs and reconstruction of the Serbian Community Centre.

70th anniversary

In 2024, the “Holy Trinity” Church-School Community of Montréal celebrated 70 years since its foundation.

The main part of the celebration took place on 5 October, 2024, in Montréal. The event was designed in order to promote Serbian culture.

The most important person to participate was Patriarch Porfirije of Peć and Serbia.

On Friday, 4 October, 2024, the first day of the celebration, Patriarch Porfirije (Perić) of Serbia was welcomed solemnly at the Serbian Orthodox Church of the Holy Trinity in Montréal with the serving of a Solemn Doxology. Afterwards, a welcoming speech to the Patriarch of Serbia was delivered by Metropolitan Mitrofan (Kodić) of Canada.

 It is our great joy that, Your Holiness, you will preside over the Holy Liturgy 
 tomorrow and crown the celebration of the 70th anniversary of the Serbian 
 Church and School Community of the Holy Trinity in Montréal with your 
 Presence.


48596 patrijarh-porfirije-monteral-1 f 2.jpg At the Doxology service


On Saturday, 5 October, 2024, at 9:00 a.m., Patriarch Porfirije presided at the celebration of the Patriarchal Divine Liturgy in the Holy Trinity Church.

At the solemn Divine Liturgy, Patriarch Porfirije (Perić) was assisted by Bishop Mitrofan of Canada ; Archbishop Irénée (Rochon) of Ottawa and Canada, of The Orthodox Church in America ; Bishop John Cassian (Tunaru) of Canada, of the Romanian Orthodox Church ; Bishop Nikon (Svetićanin) of Jenopolje, Vicar of the Serbian Patriarch ; as well as numerous clergy and monastics from several local Orthodox Churches.


Oct 5 holy trinity serbian church 2.jpg Entrance prayers


BeginningPatriarchalLiturgy5x25 2.jpg Beginning Divine Liturgy


Patriarch,Bishops,Clergy,Faithful5x25 2.jpg Patriarch, Bishops, Clergy, Faithful


Patriarch, 4 bishops 2.jpg Bishops during the Antiphons


PatriarchPorfirijePreachingMontreal25 2.jpg Patriarch Porfirije preaching


HolyTrinityParishionersMontreal25 2.jpg Parishioners and attendees


HTSOCMontreal2x25Conclusion 2.png Clergy at the conclusion


This was followed by a nationwide celebration of 7 decades since the founding of the Serbian Church and School Community of the Holy Trinity in the largest city in the Canadian province of Québec. It brought together, in addition to the pious people, numerous figures from the worlds of culture, business, and politics of Canada and Serbia.

The Serbian community in Montréal has been around for over 100 years. Since 1954, Orthodox Serbs have gathered around the Church of the Holy Trinity. In a specific environment, in the province of Quebec where there are two official languages, French and English, the establishment of the Church-School Community was of exceptional importance for the preservation of the Orthodox faith, language and culture of the Serbian people.

From its founding to the present day, the Church of the Holy Trinity has been a second home for Serbs in Montréal. It is a gathering place for Serbs where the spirit of the homeland reigns, and the Orthodox faith, language and culture are proudly nurtured and passed on to the younger generations. The Serbian School of Saint Sava, the Stevan Jorgović Library, the Avala Cultural and Artistic Society, the Mala Gospojina Serbian Sisters' Circle, and the Milan Rakić Church Choir operate under the auspices of the Church of the Holy Trinity.

Particular parish information

This parish is part of the Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Canada. The bishop is Metropolitan Mitrofan (Kodić)

This parish follows the Old (Julian) Calendar.

The Altar Feast-day of the parish is the Feast of the Descent of the Holy Spirit (Pentecost).

In 2025, the pastor of the parish is Archpriest Vladimir Vranić.


Address :

Holy Trinity Serbian Orthodox Church

349, Avenue Melville

Westmount, Québec

H3Z 2J8

Telephone : (514) 932-8529

E-mail : uprava.cso@svetatrojica.ca

Web-site : https://www.svetatrojica.ca/en/

Facebook


Directions :

The Serbian Orthodox Temple of the Holy Trinity is located south of Serbrooke Street in central Montréal, Québec.

Drive along Serbrooke Street either westwards from the city centre, or eastwards from Highway #15 (Decarie) until Rue Melville. Rue Melville is situated on the east side of Parc Westmount, and north of Boulevard de Maisonneuve Ouest. The Temple is on the east side of the street.

There is bus service along Sherbrooke Street.


Archpriest Vladimir Vranić

Church office : 349 Melville Avenue, Westmount, Québec, H3Z 2J7

Telephone : (438) 348-6633

E-mail : svestenik@svetatrojica.ca

References

Vukovic, Sava, “History of the Serbian Orthodox Church in America and Canada 1891-1941” (Alhambra, California : Sebastian Press, 1998)

Parish history

Wikipedia article about Holy Trinity Serbian Orthodox Church, Montréal


Additional information :

Parish Herald, 2017-2023

Orthodoxwiki article about the Church of Serbia

Web-site of the Serbian Orthodox Diocese of Canada

Wikipedia article about the Serbian Orthodox Eparchy of Eastern America

Saint Sava

Saint Basil of Ostrog

Patriarch Porfirije (Perić) of Peć and Serbia

Metropolitan Irinej (Kovačević)

Bishop Sava (Vuković)

Bishop Georgije (Ðjokić)

Metropolitan Mitrofan (Kodić)

Wikipedia article about Serbian Canadians

Montreal: Doxology in Honour of the Patriarch of Serbia (5 October, 2024)

Patriarch Porphyrios celebrated the Holy Liturgy at the Church of the Holy Trinity in Montreal (5 October, 2024)

Archbishop Irénée concelebrates with Serbian Patriarch (5 October, 2024)