Gardenton MB Saint Michael’s Ukrainian Orthodox Church and Cemetery (Old) 1898
Gardenton, Manitoba, Saint Michael’s Ukrainian Orthodox Church and Cemetery (Old), 1898
The nickname of Saint Michael's Church is "Onutska Church".
Prehistory
Stuartburn, Manitoba (the Rural Municipality), Canada, is generally considered to be the first Ukrainian community in Western Canada. The first Ukrainian immigrants arrived in Winnipeg in July, 1896, en route to Stuartburn (101km/60 mi southeast of Winnipeg). The block settlement at Edna-Star northeast of Edmonton, Alberta, began shortly afterwards. The move of Ukrainians into Canada had actually begun in 1891, as the very first immigrants arrived.
Ukrainian pioneers began to settle in the area in the early 1890s. The people who were arriving at this time had emigrated from the regions of Halychyna (Galicia) and Bukovyna (primarily northern Bukovyna). At that time, these regions were part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, and Halychyna was part of the Kingdom of Galicia and Lodomiria.
Early services of prayer and worship services would have been held in the open air or in a farm house of the settlers. This was done, because for the people (whether they were Orthodox Christians or Ukrainian Catholic Christians), regular worship and daily prayer were simply a part of their lives (not an "extra" nor an "option"). The Church and worship were at the core of their whole life, of their relationship with each other, and with creation itself. The Creator of all was always first. Whether or not they had the regular or frequent service of a priest, they would pray and worship in their families, and in groups of families.
Many times the services would have been a reader’s service of Morning (Matins) or Evening Prayer (Vespers) or the Canonical Hours, as they might have done in their homeland. In the early years, the settlers certainly had some encounters with the local French and Polish Roman Catholic priests ; but they were not able satisfactorily to meet the spiritual needs of the Orthodox Christians, nor were they able to support the ethnic religious and cultural traditions of the Ukrainian families.
Organising the community, 1899
On 16 August, 1897, discussions began amongst those who were already living in the region near Gardenton about how to go about establishing and constructing a Temple in which to worship the Lord of All, the All-Holy Trinity. From the beginning, it was necessary to discuss and to resolve just where this Temple might be : on one or the other side of the Roseau River. The villagers who had emigrated from the Bridok village preferred the right side of the river, while the villagers from the Onut village preferred the left side. Since the latter group prevailed in the debate, the Temple received the nickname "Onutska" (rather than the name of the family that donated the land, which is more usual).
The site which was chosen was an elevated portion about 3 km (2 mi) southwest of Gardenton. The choice of this precise site was influenced by the fact that in the course of settlement, an immigrating family had stopped there, and that on that place an ill child had reposed in Christ. That child was interred in that place.
In the autumn of 1897, the Priest Nestor Dmytriw, a Ukrainian Catholic missionary priest from Pennsylvania, USA, urged by Dr Josif Oleskow and the Canadian government, travelled to southern Manitoba in order to visit the Ukrainian colonies on the prairies. Father Nestor Dmytriw helped the settlers petition the Dominion of Canada for a grant for 8 hectares (20 acres) of government land. To begin with, he sanctified the cemetery during that autumn, and by 1898, plans were begun towards the building of a Temple. Father Nestor Dmytriw did not remain in this community beyond these first steps. He travelled to other settlements (including Winnipeg, Manitoba) in order to do similar work.
On 25 May, 1899, the Dominion Government issued the Letters Patent for the establishment of the parish and for the ownership of the land. The land could be used only for a Temple and a cemetery, and for no other purpose.
Constructing the Temple 1898-1899
The Temple was constructed from horizontal logs which had been cut during the winter of 1897-1898. The logs of oak, ash, cedar, and tamarack had been cut from the nearby woods. This was completed in early 1899 by the immigrants from northern Bukovyna and Halychyna, now Western Ukraine, who had settled in the Gardenton area after l896.
Measuring 48 ft x 22 ft x 33 ft, the structure exemplified pioneer craftsmanship in architecture, interior decoration and religious furnishing.
The Temple was constructed in the Boyko 3-chamber style. This means that the design follows architecture typical of the Boyko Region of Halychyna, a region of the Carpathian Mountains northwest of Bukovyna, and south of Lviv and Kraków (Poland). The Boyko people have there as neighbours both the Lemko and the Hutsul peoples.
At the western entrance, there is a smaller chamber ; in the midst (the nave), there is a larger chamber ; and at the eastern end (the Altar), there is a small chamber that matches the western one in size. It is quite likely that in many cases, the architectural design of the Temple which was chosen reflected approximately the architecture of the Temples in which the parishioners had worshipped in their homeland. There were 44 men involved in the construction, under the leadership of Walter Kykot. By May, 1899, the roof and cupolas were completed. The exterior dimensions of the Temple were 14.6 m (48 ft) long, 6.7 m (22 ft) wide in the middle of the transepts, and 10 m (33 ft) high under the central dome.
The founders of the parish include :
Wasyl Kyot ; Domitrain Duchak ; Iwan Kontynyk ; Petro Shkwarchuk ; Iwan Worpniuk ; Intemiy Mysynchuk ; Sandyk Mykytev ; Nykolay Dzioba ; Iwan Tostowaryk ; Nykoly Koshka ; Wasyl Chornopysky ; Mykhail Wiwsianyk ; Dmytro Korol ; Andriy Glowacky ; Domitrash Oliynyk ; Petro Hudyma ; Yakiw Kowaliuk ; Iwan Kowaliiuk ; Iwan Wiwchar ; Theodore Glowacky ; Simeon Saranchuk ; Iwan Makhniy ; Simeon Tyron ; Wasyl Chornopysky ; Theodore Maksymchuk ; Hawrylo Kantymir ; Iwan Hrynyk ; Wasyl Roshka ; Domitrain Pawliuk ; Onufrei Tyron ; Theodore Orletsky ; Tanasko Kostynyk ; Iwan Boyda ; Andriy Halitsky ; Yakiw Fochak ; Iwan Kowaliuk ; Simeon Korol ; Mihay Zahara ; Yakiw Kurisits
Priest Constantine Popoff
After the completion of the construction, it was not until October, 1899, that the Priest Constantine Popoff was assigned to serve them. He was a Russian-born priest who was living in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and he was sent north with the blessing of Bishop Tikhon (Belavin) of San Francisco, the Aleutians and Alaska, in order to care for this and other nearby communities which were at their beginning.
Having been recently ordained, Father Constantine had been sent to serve first in the Alaskan missionary field. Then, in the context of his transfer to the "lower 48", in addition to his missionary activities in Canada, he served also as rector and as teacher of catechetics, liturgical, and pastoral theology at the Minneapolis (Minnesota) Missionary School. This school had been established with a view to caring pastorally for the many Rusyns who now lived in North America (besides caring for all other Orthodox Christians).
Sanctification of the Temple, 1899
On 14 October, 1899, with about 200 Orthodox Christian settlers from the area in attendance, Father Constantine Popoff sanctified the new Temple. The service included, as usual, a celebration of the Divine Liturgy. This was done with the specific blessing of the bishop (Saint Tikhon (Belavin), since it is usually the bishop alone who can do this.
Continuation of the finishing-work
In 1901, the exterior appearance was modified by the adding of wooden siding, and by the replacement of the thatched roof with wooden shingles. The log chinks were packed with swamp-moss in order to provide insulation against rain in the summer, and against the wind and snow in the winter.
According to John Panchuk, attorney and Ukrainian community leader from the Gardenton area,
Inside the historic church one may see unique religious artifacts, such as wooden crosses, candelabras and altar decorations built by local craftsmen and a collection of rare lithographs from Kyiv, Odessa, Saint Petersburg and Moscow.
The first roof was low-pitched. The distinctive roof-line with a central onion-shaped cupola, 2 smaller cupolas and hipped roof was designed and built by Menholy Chalaturnyk. However, the thatched roofing on the low pitch did not survive well under the heavy winter snows. This was soon replaced by wooden shingles. However, the wooden shingles became badly warped from exposure to heavy winter snows, and the roofing had to be replaced completely in 1915. It was at this same time that a central dome 33 feet high from floor to ceiling was added, and small cupolas were also added at either end.
Saint Michael Temple and Bell-house
Saint Michael's original iconostas made by Wasyl Chornopysky
Interior of Saint Michael's Temple from the west door (left) ; Iconostas of Saint Michael's Temple (right)
Bell-house, 1906
In 1906, a separate free-standing wooden 2-tiered bell-house containing 3 cast-iron bells was built in the churchyard. It is situated about 100 feet from the Temple. Like the Temple, it is distinguished by the high quality of its wooden craftsmanship.
Character-Defining Elements Key elements that relate to the heritage value of the site include : its location in the community of Gardenton, surrounded by farmlands ; its east-west axis orientation within its churchyard ; its freestanding wooden bell tower of two cubes capped by pyramidal roof with worked wooden shingles, above a small open arcade ; its varied roofline, with broad eaves and three “onion domed” cupolas each topped with the Greek Orthodox Cross ; its massing, reflecting the three interior frames, indicative of its Ukrainian influence ; its richly decorative interior, including the iconostas wall with its three symbolic openings, the candlelit brass chandeliers of exceptional workmanship, the carved wooden furnishings, and the many wood-framed icons of richly layered colours that cover most of the available wall space ; the interior ceiling of the largest cupola, richly painted in blues and golds to simulate the celestial sky.
National historic significance
Saint Michael’s Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church was designated a national historic site of Canada in 1987 because of : the Church and Bell Tower’s place in the early history of Ukrainian ecclesiastical architecture in Canada ; the quality of workmanship of the Church and Bell Tower. (Verbatim SOCI-DP) Forty-three volunteers from the district constructed Saint Michael's under the supervision of Wasyl Kekof, a skilled carpenter from Bukovina. Adapting age-old techniques using the available simple tools and found materials, they began by cutting the logs in the winter of 1897-1898. They had arrived only months before, during the first wave of migration from the western Ukraine, Bukovina, and Galicia. By the time the church was consecrated in October, 1899, the district was home to 250 Ukrainian families who followed either the Greek Orthodox or the Greek Catholic rites. To preserve the Greek Orthodox Church's heritage, which reflects the Eastern Rite, with ties to the Byzantine Empire, the settlers had to rely on the memory of their modest village church architecture that was developed in the 10th and 11th centuries. The plan used here reflects this traditional link, with a series of spaces, called “frames”, which lead through the three main areas towards the iconostas. In the centre frame, the largest dome opening is richly painted with gold stars on a deep blue background to inspire heavenly thoughts. The walls and iconostas in the final frame are richly ornamented with framed icons and religious furnishings all of exceptional craftsmanship. The interior remains today essentially as it was in 1915. While the church is of log construction with moss chinking and dove-tailed corners, resting on a shallow fieldstone foundation, parishioners covered the logs with wood siding in 1901. In 1906, a separate wooden two-tiered bell tower containing three cast-iron bells was built in the churchyard, also in the Bukovinian style. When the church was in need of a new roof in 1915, parishioners turned to a young local man, Menholy Chalaturnyk, who had come from Bukovina in 1905 and had learned the art of traditional Ukrainian carpentry from a neighbouring craftsman. Chalaturnyk designed and built the three cupolas, one large over the centre frame and two smaller ones over the east and west frames, in 1915. By reconfiguring the original hipped and thatched roof to this distinctive roofline, Saint Michael’s was brought to its present appearance. With the opening of a second church in 1934, the original Saint Michael’s Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church, now only used for an annual celebration in August, stands as a reminder of the rich cultural heritage and skilled craftsmanship the first Ukrainians brought to the land. (From the Directory of Federal Historic Designations of National Historic Significance : Saint Michael’s Ukrainian Orthodox Church.)
Hand-made iconostas dikiri (lit and raised during services)
Move to the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada, 1922
In 1922, the parish joined the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada (founded in 1918). Previously, it has been served by the North American Diocese of the "Russian Orthodox Mission".
By the end of the 1920s, in the context of many changes in society, and changes in farming methods, already many parishioners had moved into the village of Gardenton itself.
New Saint Michael’s Church and Cemetery, 1934
By the early 1930s, it was decided that there was a need for a newer Temple and Cemetery in the village of Gardenton itself.
Therefore, a property was bought there, a cemetery was established, and a Temple and bell-house were constructed. The transition between the 2 Temples occurred during 1934 and 1935.
This Temple and its cemetery were thenceforth known essentially by the same name : Saint Michael’s Ukrainian Orthodox Church and Cemetery (New).
New focus in the village
From then on, the original Temple was progressively less used. Only a very few services were offered per year. The original Saint Michael’s Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Temple continued to stand as a reminder of the rich cultural heritage and skilled craftsmanship the first Ukrainians brought to this land. That important symbolic rôle has remained until the present. However, by 2022, the Temple is effectively used for an annual celebration in the summer.
Annual pilgrimage service, procession
Re-naming of the UGOCC, 1990
In 1990, the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada was officially renamed “The Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada” (UOCC) by an Act of the Parliament of Canada.
The UOCC entered into Eucharistic union with the Patriarchate of Constantinople, 1990
In 1990, the 18th Sobor of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada in Winnipeg, Manitoba, decided to enter into Eucharistic Union with the Ecumenical Patriarchate in Constantinople (Istanbul). This decision also changed the relationship with the other Orthodox dioceses and parishes in Canada in a positive way.
Annual pilgrimages to Saint Michael's Temple and Cemetery
There began, at some time, annual pilgrimages to Saint Michael's Temple. Of the many of these pilgrimages, there is an article with photos from 2013, at which Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk) presided.
Icon procession ; greeting Metropolitan Yurij ; Metropolitan Yurij blessing at the Trisagion ; Metropolitan Yurij blessing kolaches
Centennial of the UOCC, 2018
In 2018, the 100th anniversary of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada and also of Holy Trinity Cathedral were marked at an extraordinary sobor (assembly) at the cathedral in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan.
The purpose of the sobor was to celebrate 100 years of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada. The celebrations were attended by Ukrainian Orthodox faithful from across Canada and beyond.
The Sobor began on Thursday, 9 August, 2018, with a Hierarchical Divine Liturgy in the Chapel of Saint Petro Mohyla Institute, presided by Bishop Andriy (Peshko) of the Eastern Eparchy, with the responses sung by the Clergy led by Father Michael Lomaszkiewicz. This was followed by an All-Canada Clergy Conference.
All gathered for Vespers at the Mohyla Institute Chapel and this was followed by a wine and cheese reception as the delegates and guests registered for the Extraordinary National Council.
The celebrations continued for a year.
In early 2020, the Covid-19 virus made its appearance in Canada, and it quickly became a world-wide pandemic. Because of the rules governing gatherings that were laid down by the provincial and city governments, the parish stopped any further services after 8 March, 2020. Including the rules regarding social distancing, the decreasing numbers permitted for any gathering, and the considerations regarding the health of all concerned, this and other parishes were required to close for a time.
As elsewhere, there was some controversy about the legal requirements.
Election of Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk), 2022
Election of a nominee by the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
On 15-19 June, 2022, the 24th Sobor of the Ukrainian Orthodox of Canada was convened "on-line". This conference-meeting was convened thus instead of convening physically (as customarily) in Winnipeg, Manitoba. There were 6 cathedrals in Canada where this meeting took place simultaneously through a computer-network : in Winnipeg, Manitoba (Holy Trinity Metropolitan Cathedral) ; Vancouver, British Columbia (Holy Trinity Cathedral) ; in Edmonton, Alberta (Saint John's Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral) ; in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (Holy Trinity Cathedral) ; in Toronto, Ontario (Saints Vladimir and Olga Cathedral) ; in Montréal, Québec (Saint Sophie Cathedral).
There was a total of 205 delegates, which was near the average attendance for such sobors.
In the course of the work of the Sobor, there was the necessary election in order to nominate to the Holy Synod of the Church of Constantinople a candidate for election as Archbishop of Winnipeg and Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada, who would succeed the Retired Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk).
There were 3 candidates who were considered : Archbishop Job (Getcha), Bishop Ilarion (Rudnyk), and Bishop Andriy (Peshko). The final choice of the members of the sobor was Archbishop Job (Getcha). He had received more than the minimum required 51% of the votes, and there was no subsequent voting required.
The election by the Sobor (Assembly) of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada then had to be confirmed by the Holy Synod of Bishops of Constantinople (as is described in the Consistory By-laws).
Upon having received the nomination (with accompanying documents) from the Sobor of the UOCC, the Holy Synod of the Church of Constantinople elected Vladyka Ilarion (Rudnyk) to become Archbishop of Winnipeg and Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Canada.
The Holy Synod of the Church of Constantinople elected Archbishop Job (Getcha) to become Metropolitan of Pisidia, in west-central Türkiye (Turkey), north of Lycia, and east of Ephesus.
Confirmation of election in Constantinople/Istanbul, 2022
On 29 August, 2022, Vladyka Ilarion (Rudnyk) was at the Phanar in Constantinople for the purpose of the first confirmation of the election in June, 2022. He co-served the Divine Liturgy with Patriarch Bartholomew (Archontonis) in the Cathedral of Saint George at the Phanar.
Enthronement as Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada, 2022
On Saturday, 19 November, 2022, at 9:30 a.m., in Holy Trinity Ukrainian Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral in Winnipeg, Manitoba, the Enthronement Hierarchical Divine Liturgy was served. Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk) presided at the Divine Liturgy. He was assisted by Bishop Andriy (Peshko), many priests, several deacons, subdeacons and Altar-servers. Present also were Metropolitan Archbishop Sotirios (Athanassoulas), Exarch of Canada for the Patriarchate of Constantinople, and Retired Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk), Former Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada.
Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk) at the Phanar, Istanbul, 2023
On Sunday, 2 July, 2023, Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew (Archontonis) was present and praying during the Divine Liturgy at Saint George's Cathedral in the Patriarchate compound. He gave the blessing that Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk) preside ("horostasia") over the Divine Liturgy. Metropolitan Job (Getcha) of Pisidia, Bishop Athenagoras (Ziliaskopoulos) of Nazianzos, and the Honourable Roman Nedilskyi, General Consul of Ukraine in Constantinople were also present and praying with the congregation of the Faithful.
Change of calendar for the UOCC, 2023
On 1 December, 2023, in accordance with the resolutions of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada, Metropolitan Ilarion II (Rudnyk) announced that, effective that day, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada moved to use the New (Revised Julian) Calendar. He allowed that for a brief period of time, a parish might remain on the Old (Julian) Calendar.
It seems that subsequently, John's Cathedral in Edmonton, Alberta, was the first to adopt the New (Revised Julian) Calendar.
However, a previously-existing group of persons began to encourage resistance to the immediacy of this change. It was their understanding that the process would be determined ultimately and finally at the next general sobor of the UOCC. Therefore, on 16 December, 2023, Metropolitan Ilarion issued a formal letter concerning the situation, together with a letter of support sent to him by his predecessor (Retired Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk)). He called the resisters to repentance.
Saint Michael’s Ukrainian Orthodox Cemetery (Old), 1898
The original parish cemetery was established at the same time as was the original Temple, in 1898.
The graves of many early Ukrainian pioneers crowd around the back of the Temple. The earliest grave is from 1898. The distinctive white Orthodox Crosses were made in cement moulds. Such Crosses became common throughout the Orthodox Christian cemeteries across the prairies.
In 2024, there were more than 162 known interments in this cemetery, also known as Saint Michael’s Old Cemetery.
Cemetery address :
NW 28-l-6E (R.M. of Stuartburn)
Gardenton, Manitoba
R0L 0M0
Priest P Stefiuk blessing the pioneer memorial
Priests who have served in this parish include :
Priest Ivan Maliarevsky (missionary) Priest Constantine Popoff 1899-1904 Priest Andriy Wilchuinski 1903-1904 Seraphim (Ustvolsky) 1903 Priest Panteleimon Bozyk 1904-1905 Priest J Sichinsky 1904-1906 Priest Andriy Solianka 1906-1910 Priest D Krishka 1910 Priest Pavel Rozkazov 1911-1919 Priest Artemy Dutka 1917 Priest Damian Krehel 1918-1919 Priest Stakhy Borichevsky 1919-1921 Priest W Novosad 1921-1925 Priest P Zaparniuk 1925-1928 Priest E Hrytzyna 1928-1931 Priest (unknown) Aponiuk 1932-1936 Priest (unknown) Glisky 1942-1947 Priest J Hykawy 1946-1950 Priest P Stefiuk 1950-1969 Priest Wasyl Wasyliw 1969-1970 Priest V J Lakusta 1970-1974
Particular parish information
This parish belongs to the Vita Region of the Central Eparchy of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada. The bishop of the eparchy is Metropolitan Ilarion II (Rudnyk).
This parish follows the Julian (Old) Calendar.
The Altar Feast-Day is the Feast of the Archangel Michael and the Bodiless Powers, 8/21 November.
In 2024, the pastor of the parish of Saint Michael is Archpriest Miron Pozniak.
Annual Services :
There is an annual All-Canada Pilgrimage of Ukrainian Orthodox Faithful to the historical Temple south of Gardenton. This service is usually in July.
Address :
Saint Michael's Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church
NW 28-l-6E
Gardenton, Manitoba
R0L 0M0
GPS : 49.071680, -96.741100
Directions :
The Temple and Cemetery are situated to the southwest of Gardenton, and to the east of Tolstoi, Manitoba.
From the junction of Highway #59 and Highway #209 at Tolstoi, Manitoba, drive eastwards on Highway #209. The Temple and Cemetery are 240 metres to the south, on Road #32 at the third turning to the right from Highway #209.
Telephone : (204) 334-6297
Reflections
Saint Michael's Temple served as a focal point of spiritual and cultural life in the first Ukrainian settlement in Manitoba and it has remained as a symbol of the continuity of the Ukrainian identity in Canada.
Three kilometres (2 miles) to the east of the Old Temple is the Church and Cemetery of Saint Demetrius.
References
A Brief History of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada
Martynowych, Orest T, “Ukrainians in Canada : The Formative Period, 1891-1924” (Edmonton : Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies, University of Alberta, 1991. ISBN 10 : 0920862764. ISBN 13 : 978-0920862766.
“The Russian Mission in North America”
Tarasar, Constance J, ed., “Orthodox America 1794-1976 : Development of The Orthodox Church in America” (Syosset, NY : The Orthodox Church in America Department of History and Archives, 1975). ASIN : B000ZLZAUE.
“75th Anniversary of St. Michael's Ukrainian Orthodox Church, Gardenton, Manitoba (1897-1972)” (Gardenton, Manitoba : Parish Jubilee Committee, 1972). (Anniversary booklet)
Additional information :
Archdiocese of Canada – Orthodox Church in America, “The Orthodox Church in Canada : A Chronology” (Ottawa : Archdiocese of Canada, 1988).
Goa, David, ed. “The Ukrainian Religious Experience” (Edmonton : Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies, University of Alberta, 1989). ISBN : 0-920862-63-2 (9780920862636)
Klysh, Protopresbyter Mirone, “Orthodox Christians in Manitobav
Martynowych, Orest T. “Ukrainians in Canada : The Formative Period, 1891-1924” (Edmonton : Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies, University of Alberta, 1991. ISBN10 : 0920862764. ISBN13 : 978-0920862766.
Rotoff, Basil with Roman Yereniuk, Stella Hryniuk, “Monuments to Faith : Ukrainian Churches in Manitoba” (Winnipeg : © Manitoba Culture, Heritage and Recreation, 1990).
UOCC listing for the historic Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Saint Michael (Old) at Gardenton
UOCC listing for the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Saint Michael (Old & New), Gardenton parish
Central Eparchy of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Canada
Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada web-site
Orthodoxwiki article about the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Canada
Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople web-site
Orthodoxwiki article about the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople
Patriarch Saint Tikhon (Belavin) (as archbishop)
Patriarch Bartholomew (Archontonis)
Metropolitan Platon (Rozhdestvensky) (as archbishop)
Metropolitan John (Theodorovych)
Metropolitan Ilarion I (Ohienko)
Metropolitan Michael (Khoroshy)
Archbishop Boris (Yakovkevych)
Metropolitan Yurij (Kalistchuk)
Metropolitan Ilarion II (Rudnyk)
"Orthodox Christians in North America 1794-1994"
Roots of Community article regarding the services of the Priest Constantine Popov
Orthodoxwiki article about Saint Platon’s Seminary and the Priest Constantine Popov
Manitoba Provincial Heritage Site No. 21 : Saint Michael's Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church
Findagrave listing Saint Michael’s Old Cemetery
Findagrave listing Saint Michael’s New Cemetery
(Waymarking.com) article about Saint Michael’s Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Old), Gardenton, Manitoba
Religious Information Service of Ukraine article "Ukrainian Churches in the Canadian Prairies"
Manitoba Historic Places article about Saint Michael’s Ukrainian Orthodox Church
“Winnipeg Free Press” : Tale of Two Churches
Encyclopedia of Ukraine article about Bukovyna
Canadian Encyclopaedia article about Ukrainian Canadians
Internet Encyclopaedia of Ukraine article about Manitoba
Reid Dickie blog about Manitoba Churches
Reid Dickie video about Saint Michael’s Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Old), Gardenton
Enthronement of Bishop Ilarion (Rudnyk) as Metropolitan of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada (19 November, 2022)
Metropolitan Ilarion (Rudnyk) announces Change of Calendar (1 December, 2023)













