Mitred Archpriest Theodore and Matushka Antonina Giliawsky
Mitred Archpriest Theodore Giliawsky (1900-1974)
and
Matushka Antonina Giliawsky (____-1971)
Theodore may be spelt Fedor, Feodor, Fyodor, Todor, Teodor.
Giliawsky may be spelt Giliavsky, Gilyavsky.
Kiev may be spelt Kyiv.
Early life of Feodor Giliavsky
On 6 March, 1900, Feodor Giliavsky was born in Melniki Village, near Kiev, Kiev Governorate, Ukraine.
In early childhood, his father reposed in Christ. Thereafter, at age 11, he was sent by his mother to a monastery school. There, he received his primary and secondary education.
Higher education
Also in the monastery, Feodor took seminary courses from the monks.
Marriage
By 1922, Feodor Giliavsky was married to Antonina Petrovna (unknown), and in time they received from the Lord 3 children : Vadim, Valentina, and Pavel.
Ordinations, 1922
In 1922, in Kiev, Bishop Nazariy (Blinov) ordained Feodor Giliavsky to the Holy Diaconate.
Later in 1922, Bishop Nazariy (Blinov) ordained Deacon Feodor Giliavsky to the Holy Priesthood in Kiev.
[At that time, Bishop Nazariy was Bishop of Radomysl and Chernobyl, a Vicar-Bishop of the Diocese of Kiev. He was greatly loyal to Patriarch (Saint) Tikhon of Moscow at a time when the Renovationists were imposing themselves on the Church, and in Kiev in particular. He and other bishops and clergy suffered.]
Pastoral service
The pastoral activity of Father Feodor in Kiev was short, because persecution and harassment from the atheist-communists had begun.
From 1917-1921, the Ukrainian War of Independence had been raging.
At the same time, and up to 1922, the Russian Civil War was being waged, much of it on Ukrainian territory.
The Union of Soviet Socialist Republics was established in 1922, as was the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic. From this time, pressure against the Orthodox Christian Church (and against all faiths) began in earnest. Besides political harassment of the Canonical Church, there was persecution by the anti-canonical Soviet Renovationist church which attempted to obliterate the Canonical Patriarchal Church.
Because of the situation, Priest Feodor Giliavsky entered the Kiev Art Institute. When he graduated from the institute, he was qualified as an “artist-teacher”. He began to teach in schools in various cities of Ukraine, and he continued to do so until the beginning of World War II.
With the arrival in Ukraine in 1941 of the Nazi-German army, and the establishment of “Reichskommissariat Ukraine”, it became possible that Father Feodor return to pastoral service.
Thus, from 1941 until 1944, he served as a parish priest in various cities in Ukraine, including in Kharkiv, under obedience to the bishops.
Exile, 1944
However, with the retreat of the Nazi-German Army from Ukraine in 1943-1944, Father Feodor Giliavsky was moved to the west, along with multitudes of other Ukrainian citizens. Meanwhile, he had become separated from his wife and sons, who remained in Donbas (Eastern Ukraine). Father Feodor was not the only cleric to suffer such a painful separation. The pain remained with him, as it did with others.
Now in Germany, Father Feodor continued his pastoral service amongst the displaced and stateless persons (of whom he was one) in the various camps that had been established. As a caring and attentive pastor, he served his fellow-refugees in Potsdam, Berlin, and Freiburg.
Emigration to North America, 1950
Towards the end of the 1940s, a large number of displaced persons had been helped to emigrate to various other countries with the help of the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration (UNRRA), and after it with the help of other organisations such as the International Refugee Organisation (IRO).
In 1950, Father Feodor was able to emigrate to North America. His emigration became possible very near the end of the programme of refugee placement supported by such organisations as the IRO.
Arrival, New York
In 1950, Priest Theodore Giliawsky arrived in New York, and he was received into the Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church of North America by Metropolitan Leonty (Turkevich). Although documents often used the English spelling "Theodore", he was referred to frequently as "Father Feodor".
Priest Theodore Giliawsky was given his first pastoral assignment in Brookside, Alabama, at Saint Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church. Later, he was transferred briefly to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
Assignment to Canada, 1956
In 1956, Archpriest Theodore Giliawsky was transferred to the Archdiocese of Canada. Archbishop Nikon (de Grève) assigned him to serve at Holy Trinity Sobor in Winnipeg, Manitoba.
After his arrival, the congregation of Holy Trinity Cathedral continued to increase in numbers, and the financial state of the parish greatly improved. Because of this, the parish council was eventually able to undertake a major remodelling of the Temple.
By that time, Father Feodor (as he is remembered in Winnipeg) was already speaking and writing in English. He had suffered an experience similar to that of many of his parishioners, and he understood their pain. He, himself, never forgot his family, and he longed for them always. Parishioners were aware that he carried an inner pain, although not all were aware of the details.
As with other recent-arrivals, Father Feodor brought his many God-given talents to contribute to the life of the parish family. During his time, both the Temple and the rectory were re-faced with stucco, which replaced the original wooden lap-siding. For the interior of the Temple, new plaster and wooden panels and new windows were installed. Then it was painted and beautifully decorated with icons.
Iconographic murals by Father Feodor
Father Feodor, still an artist, painted the icons of the Four Evangelists (Saints Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) on the corners of the bottom of the cupola. He painted also the Nativity and Resurrection murals over the kliroses in front of the Altar.
Nativity of Christ (left) Resurrection of Christ (right)
Evangelist Matthew (left) Evangelist Mark (right)
Evangelist Luke (left) Evangelist John (right)
In addition, it is known that Father Feodor had painted a portrait of Archbishop Sylvester (Haruns).
He composed a poem honouring mothers for Mother’s Day.
While he had been displaced into Western Europe, Father Feodor had been a member of the Don Cossack Choir. Decades later, he was still receiving small royalty cheques (a testament to the enduring popularity of the choir’s recordings).
The central, large cupola had a new, lower ceiling installed, in order to reduce the costs of heating. In the rectory, a new suite was made from some of the former single rooms, and it was furnished. The concrete basement floor was replaced, and covered with corlon (a vinyl, flexible, sturdy flooring material). A double-garage was also built. The sisterhood helped a great deal in covering the expense of all this work.
Roman Weremiuk was starosta for much of the time that Father Giliawsky was the rector.
During many of these years, there was an annual “Grand Bazaar”, which was vividly remembered by many older parishioners for the rest of their days. It spanned a Thursday, Friday and Saturday, and it culminated in a dinner.
Preparations for the Grand Bazaar would begin far in advance. Volunteers would solicit donations from parishioners and local businesses and talented knitters, needleworkers, and seamstresses, who would produce many creations. Aprons were particularly popular. The raffle always seemed to feature a chair from Fred James’s factory as first prize. Many of the food donations were given out as prizes. Mr. Koster would announce “Watch your numbers hospoda” and spin the “wheel of fortune”. There were multiple prizes awarded after each spin in decreasing order of value, with the last prizes being as small as a can of soup.
Russian School
Throughout all these years, there were present and active many children, and there was a flourishing Russian school. The children of the parish learned Russian language, literature, and culture. Catechism was taught by Father Feodor. On several special occasions every year, the children had to present performances (to the delight of the parents) : singing, reciting poems, playing the piano and other instruments (even a Hawaiian guitar). The main occasion was the “Yolka” (spruce) celebration during the season of the Nativity of Christ. The tree is not directly associated with the Nativity celebration, and the occasion is usually celebrated sometime after the feast-day. “Dyèd Moroz” (Grandfather Frost) was there, and he distributed gifts for all the youth.
However, during the whole of his pastoral service, Father Feodor lamented his separation from his family. He was not overt about this, but his parishioners sensed the undercurrent of pain in his life.
Autocephaly, 1970
In March of 1970, after some years of negotiation, the Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church of North America (ROGCNA) was able to return to full communion with the Moscow Patriarchate. Thus, the Autocephaly of the Orthodox Church in America was proclaimed by the Patriarchate of Moscow, and the daughter Church became a sister Church.
In some parts of North America, there were differences of opinion about the correctness of this development. Everywhere, there were some losses of parishioners who left to join the ROCOR.
Bereavement, 1971
In 1971, he received the news of the repose in Christ of his wife, Matushka Antonina Giliawsky. However, it was not possible for him to find any information about his 3 children.
The repose of Matushka Antonina occurred during the time of repression imposed by President Leonid Brezhnev of the USSR.
Mitred Archpriest
On Pascha, 1973, Archpriest Theodore Giliawsky was given the blessing by the Great Council of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church in North America to wear a mitre.
Because he was a gifted artisan, he was able to make his own mitre.
This, during the years of his service in Winnipeg, Archpriest Theodore Giliawsky came to have received all the possible awards given to the “white clergy”.
Such was the affection of the parishioners towards Father Feodor that they enjoyed seeing in him a strong facial resemblance (about which they commented often) with the actor Raymond Burr, known at that time for his portrayal of "Perry Mason" in a popular television series.
Repose, 1974
On 30 July, 1974, Father Theodore Giliawsky reposed in Christ at the Misericordia Hospital in Winnipeg, Manitoba, after having been transferred from the rectory residence of the cathedral, at the age of 74. He had served the parish faithfully for 18 years.
In Holy Trinity Sobor in Winnipeg, Manitoba, a Memorial Divine Liturgy was served. This was followed immediately by the Funeral Service for the Burial of a Priest. The services were led by Archbishop Sylvester (Haruns) of Montreal and Canada, He was assisted by Archpriest Euphemiy Moseychuk, Priest Alexander Chernyshev, and Priest Mirone Klysh,
Following the Memorial Divine Liturgy, Archpriest Euphimiy Moseichuk gave a eulogy about Mitred Archpriest Theodore Giliawsky. At the conclusion of the Funeral Service, Archbishop Sylvester (Haruns) preached a homily.
Following the funeral obsequies, the body of Mitred Archpriest Theodore Giliawsky was interred at the Elmwood Cemetery.
Reflections
Father Feodor Giliawsky was a true pastor who loved his parishioners, and who was loved by them. His pastorship united the parish flock, and strengthened greatly the Orthodox Christian Faith and practice of the Faithful.
At the end of the obituary printed in the 1975 Archdiocese of Canada calendar, the following poem was printed (in Russian) :
No, your clear image shall not die
And your torch shall not be extinguished
Nor shall there be death with its domineering hand,
Nor any enemy with his slander.
Your life is burning with an unquenchable lamp,
Blue with peace and joy
Above the stormy sea of being.
The power of your ardent faith,
The greatness of your humility,
Patience and courage are examples.
This is your strength and triumph !
Shine on us as a guiding star
1And us, O our Shepherd, from the wrong,
From the darkness of the hopeless fall
On the path of love on the feat of good,
By your intercessions, bless.
References
Recollections of parishioners.
“Orthodox Church Calendar” (Montreal-Toronto : Diocesan Council, Archdiocese of Canada, 1975), vo. 24, pp. 241-242.
Additional information :
Parish history : Winnipeg MB Holy Trinity Russian Orthodox Cathedral 1904
Findagrave reference for Mitred Archpriest Theodore Giliawsky








