Sunland AB Holy Trinity Russo Orthodox Church and Cemetery 1905

From Canadian Orthodox History Project
Revision as of 22:31, 24 October 2025 by Vladyka Seraphim (talk | contribs) (→‎Holy Trinity Orthodox Cemetery, 1907)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search


HolyTrinityChurchCemeterySunlandAB 0 B.jpg

Sunland, Alberta, Church and Cemetery in the Name of the Holy Trinity, 1905/1910


This parish may have the nickname Babychuk's.


Prehistory

The formation of Holy Trinity Orthodox Church, Sunland, Alberta, Canada, is related to the settlement around Shandro, Alberta, which is about 9 km (6 mi) to the southeast. Like the Church of Saint Mary in Shandro, Holy Trinity in Sunland is situated on the south bank of the North Saskatchewan River.

Those who settled around this Temple were primarily of Romanian Bucovinian origin, which can be seen most clearly in the nature of the bell-house which was constructed later (see the photograph). Moreover, at the time of the arrival of these particular settlers, the general territory in which they began to live was called (until 1905) the North-West Territories.

Organisation of the parish, 1905

Already in 1905, there was a preliminary organisation of the parish. Land was acquired for a Temple, and a cemetery was established. Soon, in 1907, burials had begun.

Founding the parish, 1910

On 17 July, 1910, 10 acres of land for the Temple and cemetery were purchased from Peter Babychuk by the trustees of the developing parish. Although the land was not donated by Peter Babychuk, the general custom is to give a nickname to the parish that reflects the fact that it was established on what was formerly his property. This land, located 4.8 km (3 mi) east and 14.5 km (9 mi) north of Andrew, Alberta, was transferred to the “Russo Greek Orthodox Church of Sunland”.

Prior to this, local worship services were held in the homes of various families who later became the founding members of this parish.

Construction of the Temple

Construction of a log Temple at this location began immediately, although the process took some time. All the parish members donated labour, money and material. The building of the Temple was accomplished by :

 Petro Feschuk ; Marko Krawchuk ; Ivan (John) Mnoholitny ; Onufrey Orydzuk.  

John Mnoholitny was a farmer in the Vegreville area, who later became a renowned church builder. As in other building projects, he was the leader in the design and the construction of the Temple.


3515273672 097cf643ef z S.jpg The Temple from southwest


Holy Trinity Temple Sunland from north-west 2.png The Temple from northwest


Holy Trinity Temple Sunland exterior prayer-table.jpeg Exterior Moleben and Memorial Table


The parish’s first secretary was Tanasko Sorochan. He was followed by Elia Lastiwka, Mikolay Samoridny, Nikolay Bidniak and John Mnoholitny.

Those who worked on organising and building the Temple worked over 3 years. Their names are as follow :

 1910 :
 George Bidniak ; Metro Fediuk ; Samuel Fediuk ; Elia Lastiwka ; George Lastiwka ; Joseph Malayko ; 
 Tanasko Sorochan.
 1911 :
 Nick Elaschuk ; Nickolay Lastiwka ; George Lupul ; George Petraschuk ; Timofy Wagilek ; Petro Yakimchuk.
 1912 :
 Nickolay Alexandriuk ; Tanasko Brenzan ; Anton Ewasiuk ; Maksem Ewasiuk ; Teodosy Gordeyko ; 
 Nihay Gregoraschuk ; George Korol ; Wasyl Mozger ; George Pelechytik ; Fred Wispinski ; George Woychuk ; 
 Petro Zukiwski.

The founding families of the parish include :

 Petro Babichuk ; Tanasko Brendzan ; Stephen Danyluk ; Anton Ewasiuk ; Macsem Ewasiuk ; Sam Fediuk ; 
 Todosy Gordeyko ; Gawrelo Gordy ; William Goroniuk ; George Korol ; Mike Koroluk ; Marko Krawchuk ; 
 Mike Kusiak ; Elia Lastiwka ; George W Lastiwka ; Nick W Lastiwka ; George Lupul ; John Malayko ; 
 Joseph Malayko ; Mike Megley ; Nick M Megley ; Wasyl M Megley ; Wasyl Mozger ; Nick Olinek ; 
 Harry Ostafichuk ; Metro Pawliuk ; George Pelechytik ; George Perdichuk ; Wasyl Perdichuk ; Wasyl Puchalsky ; 
 Parfery Radomsky ; Mike Shulko ; George Solowan ; Tanasko Sorochan ; Petro Sorotsky ; Timofy Wagilek ;
 Jack Watamaniuk ; Fedo Wispinsk ; Leon Wiwad ; George Woychuk ; Pentelay Woychuk ; Petro Yakimchuk ; 
 Nick Yeremchuk.

During the following years, there were constructed a bell-house and a parish hall nearby the Temple. They both were built by John Mnoholitny with the help of parish members for $350.00. The parishioners donated the 3 bells and most of the items required to furnish the hall. It is notable that many of the donated icons and artifacts remain in use in the Temple a century later. The bell-house is constructed in a manner which recalls such structures in Romanian Bucovina. In Romania, in addition to the ringing of the bells before services, there is the sounding of the “toaca” or “semantron”. This is a rather long board which is carried by a person who knows how to hammer the board with intricate rhythms by using a wooden mallet. While doing this, the person walks about the precincts of the Temple. Both structures in Sunland were replaced by newer ones in 1962–63.


Holy Trinity Church Sunland bell-house.jpg The bell-house


Over the years, the Sunland Temple has undergone several name-changes. On 26 March, 1915, the congregation of Sunland, rather than keeping the “Russo Greek Orthodox Church of Sunland” name, decided to incorporate (register their name) as “The Ruthenian Orthodox Holy Trinity Church of Sunland”. This change was not unusual, because at the time, names of various immigrating Christian congregations generally included in the name the place of origin where most of the members came from. This was true of the Orthodox Christian parishes as well.

In this parish, many of the founding families came from a region of the Austro-Hungarian Empire which was known as Ruthenia. The Ruthenian Council was responsible for the holdings of the Austrian Empire made up of Galicia and the district of Bucovina. However, the certificate of title to the land was not obtained when the name change took place, since the transfer document was already in the hands of the congregation, and they likely felt that this was sufficient to prove ownership. In addition, the cemetery was registered under the “Russian Greek Orthodox Holy Trinity Church of Sunland”.

Throughout the history of the parish, generous contributions of labour, money and material from the active members have continually added to the vitality of the Sunland parish.

In 1920, records indicate that the Sunland parish had 87 members.

Dissention, division, 1927

Dissension amongst the members began in 1927 when, influenced by a movement that began in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, and then became based in Sachava, Alberta, a significant group of parishioners began a campaign to move the parish to the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada. The result was a sharp division amongst the parishioners. This resulted in a court case. The court decided in the favour of those who wished to remain in the original jurisdiction, in the Canadian diocese of the Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church of North America.

Those who insisted on a change purchased land about 2 km (1.25 mi) to the west. This new parish kept the same dedication to the Most Holy Trinity. This similarity underscored the division.

Regrouping, 1930

Those who remained loyal to Sunland rededicated themselves to congregational activity, and they gradually restored the parish to its former vitality. Although the interior and exterior have been thoroughly modernised, the initial concept of the Temple has been retained and most of the early icons and artifacts still grace the Altar and walls.

The first executive after the division consisted of :

 Nick Kapitski ; John Lastiwka ; William G Woychuk.

In the following years, other persons served on the executive in various positions :

 Metro Danyluk ; Metro Gawreliuk ; William Goroniuk ; Alex Megley ; Nick Pelechytik ; George Perdichuk ; 
 David Serediak ; Mike Shulko ; John Shupenia ; William Telka ; John Woychuk.

Establishment of the Ladies' Church Club

The Ladies’ Church Club was established in 1963, and it supported parish life for very many years by catering for funerals and memorial dinners, and also organising bingos and bake-sales as fundraisers.

Wasyl (William) G Woychuk was the longest-serving president of the community. He faithfully served the priest, the Temple and the parish from 1945 until his sudden repose in Christ in 1991. Andrew Goroniuk stepped in, and he served as the president of the parish until his own repose in Christ in 2005.

Other parishioners who had worked similarly over a long period of time included :

 Ernie and Judy Shulko, Pearl Lastiwka, Alex and Jean Megley, and Doreen Goroniuk.  

Ernie served as the secretary-treasurer for more than 20 years, and he then began to serve as the parish president.

The variety of names for the parish was finally resolved only in 1992 by the parish executive. At that time, the parish became known as the “Holy Trinity Orthodox Church of Sunland”. At that time, all documents and titles were changed to conform to the decision.

Renovations, 1962

Parish hall, 1964

As the Sunland congregation grew, the bell-house was rebuilt in 1962, and in 1963, a new parish hall was built under the supervision of John Woychuk. Once again, the members donated their time and financial resources to assist in the construction. On 14 August, 1964, the Archpriest John Kowalchuk blessed the new hall. In the 1970s, both the interior and the exterior of the Temple were renovated.

Rural depopulation

As have all other rural parishes across Western Canada, this parish community suffered from rural depopulation, which began in the 1930s. This accelerated after World War II with the increase in mechanisation and the consolidation of small farms into larger ones. The consequence of this was the move of many people into various urban areas.

By the 1990s, the number of farms had decreased even more greatly because a great many had been bought by larger and larger farming operations.

Archpriest Stephen J Keaschuk

During the time that Father Stephen Keaschuk was serving the parish (1991-1998), parishioners from Saint Herman’s Church in Edmonton would sometimes travel to Sunland to help with the singing, or other activities. On greater feast-days, they would make an extra effort to support this parish. This support continued during the pastorships of Fathers Andrew Morbey and Larry Reinheimer.

Sunday school classes at Holy Trinity Church in Sunland began in 2000 under the direction of Colleen Serediak and Charlene Shulko. At that time, with a growing number of young children in the parish, they felt that there was a need for some sort of informal schooling in the Orthodox Christian Faith besides the regular Sunday service in the Temple. Many of the children who attend are of 4th and 5th generation descendants of the founding members.

The decision to offer Sunday school classes in the parish hall during Sunday services was undertaken with the approval of the parish council. Andrew Goroniuk, the then president, was most instrumental in providing a course guideline, resource material and a general direction for the classes (he had been a school teacher by profession). In conjunction with this structure, Charlene and Colleen orchestrated crafts and activities to make the mornings enjoyable, but also educational for the youngsters. Sunday school classes ended in time for the children to receive Holy Communion.

An extension of the Sunday school activities resulted in the production of several Christmas presentations, and the emergence of a yearly Christmas donation to a needy family in the community. This has been funded through the sale of such items as Christmas ornaments, or cards in the names of departed loved ones for the Christmas Memory Tree.


Holy Trinity Church Sunland from southeast 1.jpg Holy Trinity Temple from the southeast

Inter-parish co-operation, 1990s

Since the early 1990s, the Holy Trinity parish has taken its place amongst several other parishes in a sort of “family”. There are 4 such groups in this region (2 in the Archdiocese of Canada (OCA) and 2 in the Patriarchal Parishes of Canada (MP)). The OCA groupings were called "Lakeland Family of Parishes" and "Saint Tikhon Family of Parishes". The Patriarchal parish groupings were called "Orthodox V" and "Orthodox IX". This co-operation has helped all the participant communities to maintain their strength in the face of the depopulation of the farmlands. Parishioners sustain their own Temples, while they all circulate from Temple to Temple on a weekly basis and worship together in the various Temples. This mutual support has been of benefit to all, and they manage together to support the priest who serves them all.

A choir was organised and conducted very capably for many years by Elsie Serediak, until her health failed in 2005. By that time, she had served the Church faithfully in several capacities for 62 years. In 1973, she had received a blessed gramota (certificate of blessing) from Archbishop Sylvester (Haruns) for her service in The Orthodox Church in America (and its predecessor, the Russian Orthodox Greek Catholic Church in North America). The choir was well-known in the area. Having previously rehearsed, after the Feast of the Nativity of Christ, the choir would divide into several groups and then travel around to many homes in order to sing the traditional Ukrainian Christmas carols and other carols.

Priest Evan Lowig

Priest Evan Lowig served this parish and the parish family grouping from 1995-2000.


Priest Evan Lowig 2.png Priest Evan Lowig

Archpriest Nikolai Nikolaev

In 2000, the Archpriest Nikolai Nikolaev began to serve in the parish, and he remained doing so until 2016.


NicolaevNicolai 0 2.jpg Archpriest Nikolai Nikolaev

Visit by Archdiocesan Assembly participants from Edmonton, 2001

In 2001, at the conclusion of the Archdiocesan Assembly Meeting in Edmonton, Alberta, buses of representatives and clergy visited various historical rural parishes, including the Holy Trinity Church at Sunland. The parishioners warmly greeted their guests. At each stop, the visitors learnt a considerable amount about the history of our Orthodox Church in Canada.

100 years, 2010

On Sunday, 23 May, 2010, the Feast of Pentecost, the parish celebrated its 100th anniversary. Archbishop Seraphim (Storheim) was present for the occasion. After the greeting at the door by the rector, Archpriest Nikolai Nikolaev, Vladyka Seraphim led the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy, together with Father Nikolai and the guest clergy.

After the Divine Liturgy, Vladyka Seraphim blessed water outdoors at the Cross, and he blessed the 4 walls of the Temple during the Cross-procession around the building. At the conclusion of the services, a festive dinner was served at a local community hall.

Archpastoral visit, 2016

On 19 June, 2016, Archbishop Irénée (Rochon) made a pastoral visit to the parish, on the occasion of the Altar Feast-day, the Feast of Pentecost. He served the Hierarchical Divine Liturgy, just before which he ordained Lawrence Kapitski of the parish to the Holy Subdiaconate. After the Divine Liturgy, Vladyka Irénée blessed water outdoors at the Cross, and he blessed the 4 walls of the Temple during the procession around the Temple. Afterwards, a festive dinner was served.


Img 0827 S.jpg

Archpriest Nikolai L Nikolaev greets Archbishop Irénée (Rochon) with the Holy Cross at Pentecost

Priest Kolin Berglund

On 27 May, 2018, Priest Kolin Berglund of Smoky Lake, Alberta, was assigned to serve this parish.

Holy Trinity Orthodox Cemetery, 1907

Holy Trinity Orthodox Cemetery of Sunland

Land description site NW 01-58-16 W4

Range Road #161, Lamont County

Alberta


According to the dates of birth in the records of this cemetery, a significant number of those who immigrated to this area were already of rather mature years by the time they arrived.

In 2023, there were more than 437 known interments in the cemetery.


Holy Trinity Church Sunland cemetery.jpg Holy Trinity Cemetery


Holy Trinity Church of Sunland cemetery memorial.jpg Memorial


The priests who have served in this parish include :

 Priest Alexander Antoniev 			1910-1911
 Priest Filip Pechinsky 				1911-1916
 Priest Dioniziy Pirka 				1916-
 Priest Feodor Varkhol  		        	        -1921
 Priest Alexander Pyza 				1921-1928
 Priest Antoniy Zemenov 				1928-1936
 Archpriest John Kowalchuk 			1936-1968
 Priest Wasyl Boyko 
 Bishop Ioasaph (Antoniuk)			1969
 Priest Andrew Harrison 				1969-1970
 Mitred Archpriest John Wasyl
 Archpriest William (Wasyl) Ostashek 	1970-1981
 Archpriest Stephen Keaschuk		1981-1988
 Priest Andrew Morbey 				1988-1990
 Priest Larry Reinheimer 			1990-1993
 Deacon Andrew Piasta 				1993-1995
 Priest Evan Lowig 				1995-2000
 Archpriest Nikolai Nikolaev 			2000-2016
 Archimandrite Gerasim (Power) 		2016-2018
 Priest Kolin Berglund 				2018-2024
 Igumen Vladimir (Lysak)			2024-____

Particular parish details

The parish continues to function in the same spiritual and cultural manner as was established by the founders of the parish. Included in this is the manner in which the Altar Feast-day ("Khram") of the parish is marked. Annually, on the Feast of Pentecost (50 days after Pascha), the Temple is decorated with fresh green branches of trees, and the clergy wear green vestments. Homes are also decorated with green branches. After the Divine Liturgy is served, then water is blessed. Then follows a procession around the Temple, during which the 4 exterior walls of the Temple itself are blessed with this water by the priest. Afterwards, the interior is also blessed. People comment on the serenity and peacefulness that they sense when they come to this Temple, and visit the nearby cemetery.

Services are generally held in this Temple on the third Sunday of every month, and the services use mostly the English language. Congregational singing is encouraged. The leadership is grateful to God for the many descendants of the founders who remain active in the life of this parish.

Languages of service are English and Slavonic.

This parish is part of the Alberta & Northwest Territories Deanery of the Archdiocese of Canada, of The Orthodox Church in America. The dean is Archpriest Vincent Lehr. The bishop is Archbishop Irénée (Rochon).

This parish follows the Old (Julian) Calendar.

The Altar Feast-day of the Temple is the Feast of Pentecost (Descent of the Holy Spirit, the Most Holy Trinity).

In 2025, the pastor of the parish was Igumen Vladimir (Lysak).


Address :

Holy Trinity Orthodox Church of Sunland

580081 A & B, Range Road #161

Lamont County, Alberta

T0B 0C0


Directions :

Holy Trinity Church is located 131 km (82 mi) northeast of Edmonton, and the drive by car takes about 1½ hours. It is located 5 km (3 mi) east and 11 km (7 mi) north of the town of Andrew.

From Edmonton, drive eastwards on Highway #16 (Yellowhead) until Mundare. Turn left (north) on Highway #855, and drive to Andrew. At the north end of the village, turn right (east) on Highway #45. Drive eastwards on Highway #45 and keep left in order to turn left on Range Road #161. Turn left on Range Road #161, and drive 9.7 km (6 mi) north. The Temple is on the right.

On Highway #45, drive 4.8 km (3 mi) east of Andrew. Turn left onto Secondary Highway #645, and drive 200 m (¼ mi) east. Immediately, turn left at the first cross-street, onto Range Road #161. Drive 9.7 km (6 mi) north. The Temple is on the right, after Township Road #580.


Mailing address :

Holy Trinity Orthodox Church of Sunland

PO Box 66

Andrew, Alberta

T0B 0C0


Igumen Vladimir (Lysack)

Telephone : 306-794-4443

E-mail : priestmonk@gmail.com


2025 Service Schedule :

19 January, 16 February, 16 March, 6 April, 20 April (Easter Basket Blessing at 8:15 a.m.), 18 May (Provode Blessing Graves), 8 June (Pentecost Feast Day Service), 20 July, 17 August, 21 September, 19 October (Thanksgiving Service), 16 November, 7 December.


Holy Trinity Sunland 2.png Holy Trinity Temple, Sunland (photo by www.aerialphoto.ru)

References

Archdiocese of Canada — Orthodox Church in America, “The Orthodox Church in Canada : A Chronology” (Ottawa : Archdiocese of Canada, 1988).

A Chronological History of the Archdiocese of Canada, Part 1

"Holy Trinity Orthodox Church Sunland Commemorating 100 years 1910-2010" (Sunland : Holy Trinity Orthodox Church, 2010). Centennial Anniversary booklet 18 July, 2010).

The Russian Mission in North America

Sametz, William, "My father the priest : the life and times of the Very Reverend Dr. Peter Sametz : founding missionary priest of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Canada" (Toronto : Hypertex Plus, 2008). ISBN : 9780969670056.

Tarasar, Constance J, ed., “Orthodox America 1794-1976 : Development of The Orthodox Church in America” (Syosset, NY : The Orthodox Church in America Department of History and Archives, 1975). ASIN : B000ZLZAUE.


Additional information :

Archdiocese listing

Archdiocese of Canada web-site

Orthodoxwiki article about the Archdiocese of Canada

OCA listing

Orthodox Church in America web-site

Orthodoxwiki article about The Orthodox Church in America

Saint Tikhon (Belavin)

Archbishop (Saint) Arseny (Chahovtsov)

Archbishop Alexander (Nemolovsky)

Archbishop Evdokim (Meschersky)

Metropolitan Platon (Rozhdestvensky)

Metropolitan Theophilus (Pashkovsky)

Metropolitan Leonty (Turkevich)

Metropolitan Ireney (Bekish)

Metropolitan Theodosius (Lazor)

Metropolitan Herman (Swaiko)

Metropolitan Jonah (Pauffhausen)

Metropolitan Tikhon (Mollard)

Archbishop Nikon (de Grève)

Archbishop Sylvester (Haruns)

Archbishop Irénée (Rochon)

Bishop Antoniy (Tereshchenko)

Bishop Dimitry (Magan)

Bishop Anatoly (Apostolov)

Archpriest Stephen J Keaschuk

Archpriest Nikolai Nikolaev

Archimandrite Gerasim (Power)

Priest Kolin Berglund

Prairie Souls : Sunland Cemetery

Prairie Souls : cemetery names

Findagrave article about the Sunland Holy Trinity Orthodox Cemetery

Canadian Encyclopaedia article about Romanian Canadians

General information about Romanians in Canada

Pioneer Churches on the Prairies — Holy Trinity Orthodox Church, Sunland, Alberta

Video of a Romanian "toaka" (semantron)

Video of a semantron at Saint Catherine's Monastery, Sinai

Roots of Community : Country Churches of the Prairies 1896-1906

Lamont County history

Wikipedia article about Star-Edna colony

Wikipedia article about the History of Alberta

Pioneer Churches on the Prairies web-site

Hierarchical Divine Liturgy on Pentecost at Holy Trinity Church in Sunland, Alberta (19 June, 2016)

Assembly delegates visit some of the historical Temples in rural Alberta (July, 2017)

Article about Holy Trinity Church, Sunland, Alberta (25 April, 2018) [photos]

‘St Tikhon Orthodox Christian Mission, Lakeland AB’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger” (July, 1993), pp. 3-4.

‘Assembly pilgrims visit heritage churches’ in “Canadian Orthodox Messenger” (Autumn, 2001), pp. 7-8.