MacNutt SK Holy Trinity Romanian Orthodox Church and Cemetery 1900

From Canadian Orthodox History Project
Revision as of 14:31, 21 July 2025 by Vladyka Seraphim (talk | contribs) (→‎Founding the community, 1900)
(diff) ← Older revision | Latest revision (diff) | Newer revision → (diff)
Jump to navigation Jump to search


Holy Trinity MacNutt 3.jpg

MacNutt, Saskatchewan, Holy Trinity Romanian Orthodox Church and Cemetery, 1900


Holy Trinity may be spelt Sfanta Treime (in Romanian).


Prehistory

MacNutt, Saskatchewan, Canada, was formerly called the District of Landestreu, named after a place in the Kingdom of Galicia and Ludomeria (a part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire) by the first settlers who had emigrated from that region.

The village itself was first settled after the late 1880s by immigrants of predominantly German-speaking origin, and the region was at that time was part of the North-West Territories, in the region then known as Assiniboia.

The first Orthodox Christian settlers arrived in Canada in the spring of 1900. Most of those who settled in the region called MacNutt were from the Province of Bucovina of Romanian Moldavia, and the region of Cernăuți, also called Chernivitsi (or Chernovtsi). The capital city of that region has the same name. This region (which abutted Galicia) was populated by a mix of Romanian- and Ukrainian-speakers (although at that time, they were more often called “Little Russians”), and the immigrants to Canada reflected this mix.

In 1905, the Assiniboia region became part of the new Province of Saskatchewan as this part of the North-West Territories officially achieved the status of a province of Canada.

In 1909, the village was renamed in honour Thomas MacNutt, the Member of the Legislative Assembly for this area at the time.

Founding the community, 1900

As soon as the people had arrived in 1900, they began to organise themselves with a view to establishing a Temple in which they might worship in the manner to which they were accustomed as Orthodox Christians. In the meantime, they prayed regularly in their homes, and sometimes together in someone's house. At this early stage, most houses were actually sod-houses (“soddies”) or “bordays”.

In the summer of 1901, the newly-arrived settlers met together at the home of Wasyl Calancia, and they formally decided to build a Temple. Wasyl Calancia donated 2 acres of land for the parish property on which to build. This land included space for a cemetery as well.

After more discussion, the people erected a Cross where they perceived that the Holy Altar should be.

This property description of the land is SW corner of SW 22-24-31. It is situated 9.5 km (6 mi) west of MacNutt ; but its original address was identified with Calder, directly north of the site of the Temple. In fact, the Temple is somewhat nearer to Calder than to MacNutt.

Constructing the first Temple, 1902

In 1902, the people started to build the Temple with their own hands. Each family brought a few logs (hauled by teams of oxen), rails, and nails to the site. All was accomplished by volunteer, co-operative help.

The construction was completed in 1903.

The Temple was, as usual, constructed properly oriented (that is, with the Altar at the east end).

Sanctification of the first Temple, 1903

In 1903, the temple dedicated to the Most Holy Trinity was sanctified informally (by a priest blessed to do so).

It is not so written, but it is probable that this community was at first served by the Russian Mission in North America, as was the contemporary community of the Holy Prophet Elias at Lennard, Manitoba (a community not very far away established at almost the same time).

Other Orthodox Christian Temples were being constructed during this period in this region, sometimes in settlements, and often amongst the farmsteads. Saints Peter and Paul Church, served by the Russian Mission in North America, was established soon afterwards at Calder, to the north of this Temple.

In 1908, there was more immigration from Bucovina and southeastern regions of Poland, but this time made up of more Slavs. They established a community north of MacNutt, Holy Dormition Russian Orthodox parish.

After the Russian Revolution of 1917, the economic situation of the Russian Mission became dire after it lost all subsidies from the Church of Russia (at that time under persecution). With time, clergy directly from the Romanian Patriarchate became available to serve some of the parishes.

During 1924-1926, Priest Glicherie Popa travelled by railway in order to serve occasionally in this parish. From 1934-1958, he was the priest who always arrived to serve at Holy Trinity Temple.

Sanctification of the Temple, 1936

On 11 June, 1936, Bishop Polycarp (Moruşca) made a pastoral visit to Holy Trinity parish, and he sanctified Holy Trinity Temple. At that time, it was reported in “Solia” that the parish consisted of 7 families. It was by this time that the parish belonged to the Romanian Orthodox Patriarchate, but it later remained within the Romanian Episcopate when that diocese came into existence.

Ladies Auxiliary, 1944

In 1944, the Ladies Auxiliary of the Holy Trinity parish was established. This establishment formalised the organisation of the offering of labour and hospitality which the women of the parish had been engaged in since the beginning.

When Archimandrite Martinian (Ivanovici) was the administrator of the Canadian Deanery of the Romanian Episcopate, the parishioners were inspired to follow the example of the Holy Prophet Elijah parish at Lennard, Manitoba, in 1952, and to construct a new Temple.

Second Temple, 1958

The parishioners moved the original Temple to one side, and they constructed a newer Temple on the original site. This second Temple was constructed in a manner very similar to that of the Holy Prophet Elias in Lennard, Manitoba.

When the old Temple was moved a short distance north, a stone was discovered under the Holy Altar Table. It had a chiselled inscription, indecipherable except for the words “May, 1903”, the date the Temple was sanctified. That there was such a stone under the Holy Table suggests that it was a bishop who had sanctified the Temple.

Sanctification of the Second Temple, 1958

On 8 June, 1958, Archimandrite Martinian (Ivanovici) sanctified the new Temple of Holy Trinity. He did so with the blessing of Bishop Valerian (Trifa). He was assisted by Archimandrite Daniil (Maxim) and Priest Petru Tatoiu. At that time, Dumitru Sarafincean was the parish president ; Grigore Toderean the secretary, Mrs. Glicheria Toderean the choir director, Miss M Sauchiuk the Sunday school teacher.

Parish hall, cemetery extension, 1960

In 1960, land was acquired from George Ironside (across the road to the south) and a hall was built for social events. This hall's construction style is known as a "Quonset Hut", an affordable style frequently used in many places.

The land description is NW corner of NW 15-24-31. This acquisition allowed also for a portion to supplement the existing cemetery.


Holy Trinity Hall MacNutt 3, 2.png Parish hall, with additional cemetery space, in winter


Parish Hall MacNutt 2.png Parish hall in the summer


Because of the small membership of the parish, the limited financial resources allowed the parish to afford only occasional services by priests. By this time, it was almost always the priest who served the parish of Saint Elijah in Lennard who would also care for Holy Trinity parish in MacNutt.

In 1970-1971, Priest Panteleimon Stanciu and others occasionally served the parish when they would visit Canora, Saskatchewan.

Between 1978 and 1990, Archpriest Nicolae Mariancu served the parish from time to time, while he was the pastor of the Lennard parish. Priest Peter SanFilippo also served in this parish occasionally.

Priest Joseph MacLellan served the parish from 1990 to 2004.

The congregation celebrated their 100th anniversary in 2003.

Parish 115th anniversary, 2018

MacNutt SK Holy Trinity Temple 115th anniversary 2.png


Archpastoral visit of Archbishop Nathaniel (Popp), 2019

In June, 2019, Archbishop Nathaniel made an archpastoral visit to the Holy Trinity parish. On this occasion, he led a memorial service for the departed, and then he blessed the graves in the cemetery.


Memorial Service 2019 2.png Memorial Service in the Temple, Archbishop Nathaniel censing


Holy Trinity south view 2.png View of the Temple from the south, with prayer-table


Blessing graves 2019 2.png Blessing the graves

Holy Trinity Romanian Orthodox Cemetery, MacNutt, 1902

The Holy Trinity Romanian Orthodox Cemetery was established in 1902 on the same property as Holy Trinity Romanian Orthodox Church.

SW22-24-31-W1

RM Churchbridge No. 211

GPS Coordinates: 51.0805283, -101.7476120

The persons interred in the cemetery include members of 8 families.


Address of the 1960 additional property (straight south, across the highway, from the original property).

NW15-24-31-W1

RM Churchbridge No. 211


Holy Trinity Cemetery MacNutt 2.png Some graves


Holy Trinity Temple and Cemetery satellite view 3.png Satellite view of the Temple and the cemeteries

Particular parish information

The Temple, Cemetery and Hall of Holy Trinity parish are situated on Highway #381 (at the junction with Highway #80), west of MacNutt and south of Calder. It is located in the Rural Municipality of Churchbridge (RM #211), and Division No. 5.

This parish is a part of the western deanery of the Vicariate of Canada of the Romanian Orthodox Episcopate of America. The dean is Archpriest Nicolae Lapuste. The bishop is Archbishop Nathaniel (Popp).

This parish follows the New (Revised Julian) Calendar.

The Altar Feast-day of this parish is the Feast of the Descent of the Holy Spirit, the Feast of Pentecost.


Address :

Highway #381

Land-description site : SW22-24-31-W1

GPS co-ordinates : 51.08053, -101.74761


Mailing Address :

C/O 184 McBurney Drive,

Yorkton, Saskatchewan

S3N 3M4

Telephone : (306) 783-0820

Facebook


HolyTrinityMacNuttSK 1.png


Driving Directions :

MacNutt is situated about 255 km (150 mi) northeast of Regina (near Canora, Melville and Yorkton).

From the North

From Highway #10 at Yorkton, proceed east and turn right on Highway #8 to “Wroxton”.  Watch for the MacNutt sign.  This is at Highway #381.  Turn left and proceed several miles.  Holy Trinity is the first church on the left ; the church hall is on the right.

From the South and East

From Highway #1, follow Highway #8 northwards.  Turn right on Highway #381.  The Church is on the left.

From Churchbridge

From Churchbridge (at the junction of Highway #16 and Highway #80), drive north on Highway #80 for approximately 12 miles.

Turn east on grid road SK-#381. Drive approximately 9.7 km (6 mi).

The church and current cemetery will be on the north side of the road. The hall, and a small cemetery, will be on the south side of the road.

From the West

At Regina, follow Highway #1 eastwards.  Turn north on Highway #10.  Proceed to Melville.  Turn right on Highway #15.  When the highway ends, turn right on Highway #16 to Churchbridge.  Turn left on Highway #38 and proceed north to Highway #381.  Turn left and proceed several miles.  Holy Trinity is the first Church on the left; the church hall is on the right.


Parish Contact :

Archpriest Nicolae Lapuste

Dean, Canada West Deanery

Holy Trinity Church

New Westminster, British Columbia

Home: 604-982-0677

E-mail : prnicolae@gmail.com


Holy Trinity MacNutt Winter 2.png Holy Trinity Temple in winter

References

Bugea, Eleanor, “Romanians in Canada” (Michigan : Romanian Orthodox Episcopate of America, 2009). ISBN : 978-1-929200-14-6.

The Romanian Orthodox Episcopate of America, “Historical Anniversary Album 1929-1979” (Jackson, Michigan : The Romanian Orthodox Episcopate of America, 1979).

OCA listing

The Russian Mission in North America


Additional information :

Anderson, Alan, “Ethnic Block Settlements in Saskatchewan”.

Archer, Dr. John H, “Saskatchewan, a History” (Western Producer Prairie Provinces, 1980). ISBN-10 : ‎0888330642 ; ISBN-13 : 978-0888330642.

Pacurariu, Mircea, ‘Romanian Christianity’ in “The Blackwell Companion to Eastern Christianity” (Oxford : John Wiley & Sons, 2007). ISBN 10 : 0631234233 ; ISBN 13 : 9780631234234.

Tarasar, Constance J, ed., “Orthodox America 1794-1976 : Development of The Orthodox Church in America” (Syosset, NY : The Orthodox Church in America Department of History and Archives, 1975). ASIN : B000ZLZAUE.

Romanian Orthodox Episcopate of America web-site

Vicariate of Canada Canadian vicariate web-site

Orthodoxwiki article about the Romanian Orthodox Episcopate of America

Wikipedia article about the Romanian Episcopate of The Orthodox Church in America

The Orthodox Church in America web-site

Orthodoxwiki article about The Orthodox Church in America

Russian Mission in North America

Saint Tikhon (Bellavin)

Archbishop (Saint) Arseny (Chahovtsov)

Archbishop Evdokim (Mechersky)

Archbishop Alexander (Nemolovsky)

Metropolitan Platon (Rozhdestvensky)

Bishop Polycarp (Moruşca)

Archbishop Valerian (Trifa)

Archbishop Nathaniel (Popp)

Bishop Andrei (Hoarste)

Archimandrite Martinian (Ivanovici)

Archimandrite Daniil (Maxim)

Heritage Cemeteries : Holy Trinity

Findagrave reference to Holy Trinity Romanian Orthodox Church Cemetery

Saskatchewan Cemeteries Project article

Saskatchewan Genealogy article : aerial view of the original and new cemeteries

Sanctuary Project (living cultures) University of Alberta

Canadian Encyclopaedia article about Romanian Canadians

Wikipedia article about Romanian Canadians

Romanian diaspora

General information about Romanians in Canada

Visit of Archbishop Nathaniel (Popp) to Saint Nicholas Romanian Orthodox Church in Regina and Saint Elijah Romanian Orthodox Church in Lennard, Manitoba (also to Canora and MacNutt) (21-24 June, 2017)

Visit of Archbishop Nathaniel (Popp) to Holy Trinity Romanian Orthodox Church on the Occasion of the 115th Anniversary (23 June, 2018)

Visit of Archbishop Nathaniel (Popp) to Holy Trinity Romanian Orthodox Church in MacNutt, Saskatchewan (Spring, 2019)





Please send your suggestions, additions, corrections or contributions to this address :

info@orthodoxcanada.ca